Crogan Hounds for yotes in the Northeast

A place to talk about coyote Hunting with dogs
bob baldwin jr
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Crogan Hounds for yotes in the Northeast

Postby bob baldwin jr » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:10 pm

I had replied on the Goodman Hounds Topic using hounds for yotes here in northern Maine . Anybody have any imput on Crogans for doing the same ? We mostly hunt Commercial Forest areas but have access to some dormant farm country also . This would be mostly chase to kill . THANKS
Dan Edwards
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Crogan Hounds for yotes in the Northeast

Postby Dan Edwards » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:16 pm

bob baldwin jr
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby bob baldwin jr » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:39 pm

Dan :I DO value your opinion . I just have NO experience hunting behind Goodmans or Croghan hounds for yotes . I get the point you are making about the " SALES PITCH " and Don't believe the HYPE . I just thought that for our area they may be a fit for HEAVY woods useage . My son has been trying to get our Blueticks and English turned on to yotes ,but show no interest in it .We could not ask for better Bear or Bobber hounds . Hence we are seeking advice on the Goodman or Croghan hounds .Any body else have exp[erience with these breeds on yotes?
Eddie

Postby Eddie » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:02 pm

Bob-I have not owned a crogan myself but a few of my hunting buddy's have and they were good dog's but so are running walker's and running & tree dog mix's, which is what i and most of the guy's that i run with use and they do pretty good job.I run through out the year in maine and we catch quite a bit in the snow and on dry ground.
bob baldwin jr
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby bob baldwin jr » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:28 pm

Eddie : are you using yours strictly on Coyotes ? Do you know where your buddies got their Crogans from ? Where did you get your running walkers from ? Do you have any preference on Bloodlines?
Dan Edwards
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Dan Edwards » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:32 pm

STUNTMAN
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby STUNTMAN » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:44 pm

Bob-The Crogans or crogan blooded dogs that came from the mid west were tough dogs at the catch for the most part, but the adult dogs that I saw couldnt handle timber, deep snow. I believe that they wernt the best of the crogans if you know what I mean. Raised from a pup might have been a different story . There is a man in Oxford Me. that has very good hounds, he runs to catch. He tunes his dogs up somtimes at the pen near Portland. He is the man to talk to in that state. Good luck-Stunt.
BIG GAME CURS
Eddie

Postby Eddie » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:05 pm

Bob- Yes just coyote's, the crogan's came from out in the midwest some time ago. The running walkers that i have are from bloodlines in maine, new york and canada. I don't have a preference to a certain breed just the hunting style of the dog. Dan's comment on the pen is right, they may look good in the pen but are proven on the outside.
aardemar
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby aardemar » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:12 pm

It sounds to me like yo guys are against pen dogs, its all I run anymore. You are welcome to come run with me and we will see how your hounds run. yes a lot of competition bred hound have lost their nose, but the dogs that win hunts are the dogs that can perform any where any time, dont matter what its bred for it needs to perform or its down the road around here, and that means outside as well.
Rick
Eddie

Postby Eddie » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:12 pm

Rick nothing against a pen dog as long as he performs on the outside. How do you win a competition hunt? How big are the pens out there and I would be glad to try and arrange a trip out your way.
Eddie
aardemar
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby aardemar » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:48 pm

My pen is 80 acres and others in michigan are small too. Trials are scored by crossings, most first place crossings score the most points. I would say the top dogs in the hunts I had here were croghan/hale crossed dogs. In the pen or out a dog that cant run track and do it well will not win. The problem comes in were guys wont finish hound out outside, then they will get used to always finding a hot track and get pen smart. You are welcome to come hunt anytime, I hunt almost every day. I have caught 30 with my dogs and put lead in one this year for a total of 31. not much compared to some, but it is respectable. I also feed 1400 pounds a week between yotes/fox and dogs to give you an idea of how many dogs I have.
Rick
bob baldwin jr
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby bob baldwin jr » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:58 pm

aardemar : Do you have any more information on those croghan / hale crossed hounds :?:
aardemar
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby aardemar » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:55 am

call me and I can tell you exactly who I would contact if I were to go buy a hound myself.
Rick 989-539-2212
Dan Edwards
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Dan Edwards » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:17 pm

kordog
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby kordog » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:23 pm

eddies jack dog is a decent reproducer of what a guy hunting on the outside here in maine wants . do you think he is still able to breed eddie ?

Return to “Coyote Hunting”