Starting dogs? help

A place to talk about coyote Hunting with dogs
anarchy kennels
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Starting dogs? help

Postby anarchy kennels » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:52 pm

So i have a bunch of hounds that i originaly picked up to run lion and coon with, but i dont get to hunt all of them as much as i would like to so iam thinking of turning some of them into coyote hounds. I was curious as to what it takes in a dog to make a yote dog and what i need to do to start them. I am in wyoming and as far as i know no one else here has any yote dogs around to ask for advice and to learn from. So any advice and help or thoughts would be great. Thanks
runningdogs

Re: Starting dogs? help

Postby runningdogs » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:27 pm

Find a fresh yote track in the snow and walk them out on it. If they like it cut them loose and see if they will jump it. Would be easier if you buy a dog that is already running.
anarchy kennels
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby anarchy kennels » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:22 am

Yes it would be easier but i would not no how to do it the easy way. And i cant afford to feed another one thats why i want to start some of these dogs so i can hunt them all more, no matter what kind of hunnting it is just for the dogs you know. :!: Thanks for the reply.
hankster

Postby hankster » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:40 pm

I dont know if you have any coyote pens close to you but around 6 or 7 months i take them to a coyote pen and run them with experienced dogs. That way no deer scent or any other trash since theres a 14 foot fence around 80 acres. I kept my dog there for a week and the guy just let him out everyday with the experienced dogs. By the end of the week he was running them by himself.

Return to “Coyote Hunting”