Looking to getting into coyote hunting

A place to talk about coyote Hunting with dogs
walkerdogman85

Looking to getting into coyote hunting

Postby walkerdogman85 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:12 am

i have hunted coyotes with a local guy here and i thought about getting into it myself. I thought about using a hound to run then but this guy says that a hound doesnt have the stamina that a running breed has just wondering if this is true and was also wondering if i do get into this how do i begin to start a pup on coyotes we have alot of them here in central ohio always here them and the guy i run with kills a pile of them every year thank in advance for the info. if you guys think a hound will work which breed should i look into thanks michael west
Michael West
1-740-502-8956
bowtech36
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Looking to getting into coyote hunting

Postby bowtech36 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:28 pm

I don't run them personally but I see plenty of people who run them with hounds on this website. I see walkers and on youtube you can see people running them with walkers. As far as pups starting getting them to trail scent will be important, and conditioning as coyotes can run FOREVER from what i've seen. Good luck
Mike Beaudette
DunDealHoundHunters
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby DunDealHoundHunters » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:41 pm

Give me a calls I can fill u full of information...I raise and breed big game walkers for bear and coyotes...920 973 0852...
mulehound
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby mulehound » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:06 am

I have a friend in Carbon county Utah that runs coyotes with his hounds. He is very successful i have been giving it some serious thought, a good chase every day.
Darrel.
walkerdogman85

Postby walkerdogman85 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:38 pm

thanks for the replys i am not sure what i will do
Michael West
1-740-502-8956
NYCOYOTEHOUNDS
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby NYCOYOTEHOUNDS » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:13 pm

IMHO..I do believe that a running hound will have more stamina. They are bred for the long chase and have a bigger chest/lung capacity. I have seen hounds that have good stamina, but a running hound is bred for coyotes. Where I live the snow gets waist deep and the hound breds dont seem to have it at the end of the day and not ready for the next..But again..only my opinion and expirience.
walkerdogman85

Postby walkerdogman85 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:45 pm

Thanks for the input I believe I will get some running walkers or july but here in Ohio they are far and few between. I only know of two people who run coyotes with them and I hunt with the one and he rarely has any pups I would like to find a broke dog and some young dogs to start now we can hunt coyotes here in ohio year round that's one of the reasons I want to get into it I used to coon hunt and I rabbit hunt know and when I went Coyote hunting there is nothing like it
Michael West
1-740-502-8956
shooter
Facebook ID: 0

Postby shooter » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:50 pm

I wish we could hunt all year here. I know guys down your way that have killed 150 or so a year that i have sold dogs to.
Kester's Goodman Foxhound Kennel NY
(716) 983-7006

Return to “Coyote Hunting”