airedale x jagterrier cross?

A place to talk about coyote Hunting with dogs
mdub101
Facebook ID: 0

airedale x jagterrier cross?

Postby mdub101 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:16 pm

Anybody running airedale x jagterrier crosses? I think they would be perfect for what I need them to do. Im having problems with coyotes on my property in az near new mex border. Growing up we had an airedale that uae to chase coyotes off the property but got cut up bad a couple of time
s. I also love the grit of the jag seen them put up a mean fight against a coyote but they r just to hard to handle and dont make good family pets. I think a cross of the two would be perfect and wuold like to get a pup if anybody knows someone who has them.
DirtyDave
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Re: airedale x jagterrier cross?

Postby DirtyDave » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:59 pm

I know a lot of folks that would disagree with you on jagds not making family pets. Mine, and a lot of guys I know, are great around the house and turn on the switch when its time to hunt. Gritty as can be on fur.
But here is a guy that breeds ADxJagd crosses if that's what you really want
http://jagineb.proboards.com/index.cgi? ... hread=2225
I also know of a guy here in Ca that has bred some Lurchers (GHxJagd) that are hell on coyotes. He has also done APBTxJagd cross that is hell on Hogs and Yotes
BoarHunter1
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby BoarHunter1 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:11 pm

Airedales bring absolutely NOTHING to the table.

In general: Poor nose, run hot, run trashy, lack grit and hardness.
Its why you never see packs of airedales hunting! Think about it. Coat also needs alot of grooming.

They were never even used in their native country to hunt - Cockers, Springers, Labs and Otterhounds did and do all of that work, as do the HPR/Versatiles.

Photos on this blog as proof they are nothing more than hype from those with delusions.
http://airedalesareafailure.wordpress.c ... esting-hn/

A better cross to a good Jagd is a Lurcher-GH/Dogo/Drahthaar/Bulldog/Pit/Rott.
Anything but the novelty breed aka Airedale which isnt a terrier in form or function.
When AD breeders get serious, I might change my mind, until then, no way.
DirtyDave
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby DirtyDave » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:21 pm

Maybe a couple Decker's is what you need. Bigger than a Jagd and still really gritty
wendy

Postby wendy » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:48 pm

Mdub101 I think Airedale x jagterrier cross could be very good. I am not sure were Boarhunter1 dig up that site, looks like a sales pitch. And yes pictures can lie. I have owned an Airedale for hunting and he was also the family dog. If he could catch it he would kill it. He was as a puppy trainer because he was obedient and I could count on him to protect the puppies till they figured out how to handle themselves. Also he was so easy going that I would take him everywhere even to visit my Dad in the nursing home. The coat can be difficult but I would just clip him a couple times a year. There is a smooth coated Airedale now. Maybe forget the cross and just get an Airedale.
BoarHunter1
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby BoarHunter1 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:18 pm

desertdog
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 100000622930931

Postby desertdog » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:35 pm

I've had 2 Airedales from working lines and they were completely worthless. And especially the one from the guy with the website in CA. A chickenshit, inbred cripple that is possibly the dumbest dog I've ever owned. And I thought horse traders were crooks..
Dan McDonough
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Dan McDonough » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:08 am

You want a deadly dog get yourself a German Wire Haired Pointer. If you want it any harder than it is cross it to a jagd. GWP's are very hardy, famly friendly, good guard dogs, tough as nails and have many other useful talents.
I am.

Repeal the 19th Amendment.
DirtyDave
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby DirtyDave » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:21 am

I think we are talking to the wall here. He was here for 3 days and made 3 posts....
"mdub101"
Last visited:Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:00 am
Dan Edwards
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Dan Edwards » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:45 pm

Hate to bring up an old post but do NOT get a dog gone Airedale cross of any kind. That being said I know of some that have been top notch but exceptions don't make the rules. Also if you wanna mess with them terriers you best have something for them to do. Lil knotheaded sumbitches. Gotta love em!
Henefer-hound-hunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Henefer-hound-hunter » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:13 am

My buddy has two airedales one from hunting lines in northern California and the other is out of hunting lines in BC and they are both amazing dogs they are super aggressive and I have personally seen both of them grab and kill badgers and coons with ease. Plus they are both amazing duck and upland bird dogs. He runs them all summer with his hounds on bear and as long as their shaved they don't overheat and they will both stay with a mean bear, the male out of BC has a good nose and will scent cats in snow, the female has a hot nose but is still a real asset to have around. They are very smart and obedient and I truly believe they are bad ass all around dogs and when they have pups this summer I am getting one. All the stuff I said they do I have witnessed with my own eyes not pictures on a web site. You have to find hunting airedale lines not show lines, no one looks for a bear hound on how many shows they have won. Same goes with airedales. The only grittier dogs I've seen then these two airedales is my buddies drahtharr which is a killing machine but it can only hunt alone cause it gets aggressive with other dogs, and my German short hair pointer it kills any creature it can catch.
As for airedales not being used for hunting in England that's bullshit my aunt is from England and her family still lives there and her dad it a waterfowl and deer hunting guide and all he hunts with are airedales and puddle jumpers. My uncle said those dogs are so effective, smart and well trained at what they do that all you have to do is dress the animal out :lol: obviously a lol exaggeration in his comment but you get the picture. There are good and shitty lines in every breed of hunting dog don't condemn a breed because of one bad experience, if this was the case none of us would have hounds.

Return to “Coyote Hunting”