Beagles

A place to talk about coyote Hunting with dogs
not color blind
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Beagles

Postby not color blind » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:29 am

Another part of a post from the guy on the other website that runs just beagles on them.

We're on Fire!!!
We've been knocking on the door taking 85 yotes 2 years ago and 92 last year with my beagles. This season we have not only knocked the door down, but have virtually burnt it down! Stats reveal:
Nov.- 5 coyotes
Dec.- 17 coyotes
Jan. 50 coyotes, 1- red fox
The last week(7 days)- 20 coyotes and 1 fox

Last year at the end of Jan. we had 32 yotes. As you can see, this year we have 72 yotes. I have readjusted my goal from 100 to 150. We are in uncharted territory. Never in my wildest dreams have I thought of doing this well. The team members and dogs are performing nearly perfectly.
KYBoy
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby KYBoy » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:59 pm

man this is cool beagles and coon dogs are about the only kind you can find around here I just wonder if any kind of beagles could pick this up or do you need ones form are specle blood line
halfbreed
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby halfbreed » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:47 pm

that's interesting , I had some real good leggy beagles we ran on swampers and the occasional fox and bobcat were a bonus . I ran a pack of six dogs and we had to be carefull and on alert as we had to get in the brush quick on several occasions to save the dogs from yotes and made several trips to the vet when we weren't quick enough . maybe the fact that nobody runs yotes with hounds here in north east texas anymore and the yotes don't fear the sound of a hound anymore had something to do with it . but I do know if you put a pair of beagles down to run yotes around my area they wouldn't come back .
hattak at ofi pisa
shotcoy

Postby shotcoy » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:21 pm

Yes...it can be done with beagles :D . Our beagle-running team is living proof of it. 2 years ago we took 85 coyotes. Last year we took 92 coyotes. Thus far this season we have taken 89 coyotes. We took 50 in January with 20 the last week in January. This past month has been beyond my wildest dreams. Our team and the dogs are performing at a very high level. My goal had been to get 100 coyotes this season. After our "Super January" I changed that goal to 150. I have been doing this for 13 years. I have been privileged to learn this type of hunting from an old time fox and coyote hunter, my friend John Masters. Over these 13 years I have been in on about 800 kills. We have never had a dog seriously injured by a coyote. We hunt most every day. With our terrain and the number of roads we have, beagles are the only way to fly.
Dave "YT" Hoover
Ashland, OH
ythoover@frontier.com
KYBoy
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby KYBoy » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:11 pm

did you use just any beagles you could find or did you look for one kind
jacobklein2008

Postby jacobklein2008 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:40 pm

I don't run dogs when the coyotes get close to having pups because I have heard they can get very aggressive. I also do not run with anything less than 2 dogs on a track, and that's usually a cold track once one is jumped I let a 3rd beagle and my jack Russell out. They have bayed a couple coyotes this year and so far from what I could see the coyote was far more interested in getting under something to hide or wanting to run away.
shotcoy

Postby shotcoy » Sun May 17, 2015 12:18 pm

We finished the 2014-15 season with 129 yotes. :D This is living proof that it can be done with beagles. While the naysayers give opinions, speculate, trash talk, etc, we kill coyotes with our beagles.
Dave "YT" Hoover
Ashland, Ohio
ythoover@frontier.com
brian j cerelli
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby brian j cerelli » Tue May 19, 2015 11:59 am

i dont run coyotes with my beagles but have seen plenty of them when running hare, everytime they are trying to get away from the roar of dogs, never going to them. i hunt year round and have had no problems yet. just keep some buckshot in case ones dumb enough to get close.
bigmikej

Postby bigmikej » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:59 am

The best two beagles I've ever owned or hunted behind were from a man that ran nothing but coyotes. He only used dogs that were very fast on track , no walkie talkies. He told me that the two I bought were great on rabbits but wouldn't run with his coyote pack so that's why they were for sale. I wasn't sure if I should believe him or not but the price was right so I took a chance and I was glad I did. I never did find any other dogs that could keep up with them. When I hunted with my buddies AKC field trial dogs mine would be 45 seconds ahead of his and always pushing the rabbit hard. This was in North east Texas which doesn't usually get much snow but usually has good moisture so I guess that was how his dogs were able to do it. I also figured that the coyote probably didn't really have to leave the country with slower dogs behind him so I guess you would be able to get more shots on one. I also heard of a man who ran an Airedale terrier with his beagles because a coyote grabbed a few while out rabbit hunting but he found their collars at a coyote den so maybe it was just a brave and desperate female with pups. I think most animals can figure out pretty quickly if the dogs are chasing them or not, at least from what I've seen. I've had deer and rabbits just sit there and watch when the dogs were circling a different rabbit. Anyways, it sure sounds like fun. Congrats to anyone who's doing it.

Mike
jacobklein2008

Postby jacobklein2008 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:24 am

You are right about the part with coyotes running smaller circles with beagles behind them they seem to make alot more mistakes too, we seem to have alot more time to figure out where the coyote is and set up for a shot.

Return to “Coyote Hunting”