still hunting withe a dog

A place to talk about coyote Hunting with dogs
KYBoy
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

still hunting withe a dog

Postby KYBoy » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:04 pm

hey you all just wanted to jump on here and get some fed back from you all on a idea I had I was talking to a boy that come from the U.K and he was telling me about deer hunting and how they used gundogs to help when they were still hunting the dog job was to walk at the side of the hunter and let him know when deer were near by setting and pointing it head to were the game was they did not make any nois or run after the game It made me think about a book I had read on coyote hunting were they did talk about still hunting what would you all say could it work for coyote I know dogs are used as decoys sometimes so they are not scard of dogs all the time
dwalton
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: still hunting withe a dog

Postby dwalton » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:20 pm

Years ago I new a man out here that could not hear. He used a Springer Spaniel to go deer hunting deer. The dog just stayed with him and stopped when he smell a deer or saw one and looked at it to show the guy where it was at a long time before he saw it. I have a mule that has showed me a lot of deer and elk while riding her a long time before I saw them. Dewey
KYBoy
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby KYBoy » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:55 am

that what the boy I was talking to told me they did I was just thinking about for over here for coyteoy
halfbreed
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby halfbreed » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:51 pm

lol yes it works . I use to use my old Catahoula dog to go with me and watch my back after the big boar coon incident of 2005 lol . that big sucker snuck up behind me and had me dancing an irish jig for a minute or two lol .never went by myself after that , SHOOK ME UP IT DID I'LL TELL YA WHAT !! my dog knew when critters were coming long before I did and would just perk his ears up and look in the direction .
hattak at ofi pisa
KYBoy
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby KYBoy » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:02 pm

wow that must have been a big coon did your dog just know to watch or did you have to teach it and did it want to run after game or stay with you
halfbreed
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby halfbreed » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:37 pm

lol he weren't that big but he was mean , I was calling yotes at the time and i was backed up to a creek and I heard him growl and he was on me before I knew it lol I was camo'd out except my brown boots and I guess he thought they was a dying rabbit . and no my dog would just sit there on command about like a lab while duck hunting . the cur dogs are good about minding in this regard . I had a lot of good times with that dog we hog hunted , worked cattle , and called critters for a long time . he's gone now but many a memory .
hattak at ofi pisa
brycejohnson
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby brycejohnson » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:35 pm

I am glad this has happened to someone else. Halfbreed, the same thing happened to me one time. I was using a distress call in thick timber hoping for a coyote when a coon snuck up behind me and snarled and hit my shoulder. (I was sitting with my back to a small tree) It was incredible how high a 15 pound boar coon can make a man jump. I was certain I was getting mauled by a grizzly bear. haha
Bryce Johnson 760-977-1414
brycejohnsonspainting@hotmail.com
halfbreed
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby halfbreed » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:57 pm

lmao I know right !! I am real surprised I didn't shoot my foot off trying to get that thing away from me lol I finally got him a good whack on the head with the barrel of my gun . I loaded my stuff and went home after that lol .
hattak at ofi pisa
HighlandHounds
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby HighlandHounds » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:15 am

It might have been me you were talking too? I personally do this exact job using German wirehair, but other common breeds in \Europe are Labrador, Hungarian Visla, or any other sensible dog with good nose. The hpr (hunt/point/retrieve) breeds can be utilised in many ways in the hunting field, and are not strictly bird dogs, and to perform the job you are asking about, the only training you need to get right, is the heel walking. These dogs are born to work, you get minimal wastage per litter thanks to strict breeding throughout the breeds, especially the German breeds.
If you hunt from a high-seat, you need the stay command, and the dog waits below until after the shot, so being steady when game is sighted, and steady to the gun are also things you train for.
You can use this same HPR dog to blood - track a wounded beast, you can use this same dog to hunt - point birds, retrieve game from cover and water, hunt/tree coons/squirrels/fur, hunt wild boar as well as guard the house and vehicle as they are very loyal and protective.
Big Game Joe

Postby Big Game Joe » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:39 pm

An old friend of mine used to keep a Pointer, when deer hunting, he would slip around in the thickets and cutovers with the dog ranging out about 20 yards or so. That dog would point a bedded deer just like a pointer, rock steady on quail. My friend would then ease ahead and flush the bedded deer, shooting it as it came up from the bed. Pretty cool, but illegal now, where we live.
hillbilly boy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby hillbilly boy » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:24 pm

I have no dout that the dog could find a coyote bedded my only thing would be would the coyote stay bedded to get a shot or would it run from the dog or go after the dog I don't know but it would be a cool way if it could worke
AK Zach
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby AK Zach » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:05 am

He'd run for sure.
If you want some awesome coyote action, look up coyote decoy dogs. A lot of guys doing this use cur mixes. Here is a link this guy has trained some good dogs.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IEGm-xGWyaE

It's a very interesting style of hunting different than I'm used to.and the dogs will bring the coyotes right in.

Return to “Coyote Hunting”