A place to talk about coyote Hunting with dogs
Sdasenbrock
Facebook ID: 0

Need Hunting trainer, friend, SLC UTAH, mentor

Postby Sdasenbrock » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:12 am

I live in Sandy Utah.

I have a 3/4 plot and 1/4 red tick hound bitch
I have a chocolate lab weimaraner male

I am a novice in coyote hunting for sure. Ive been maybe 5 times specifically after dogs, and then maybe another 5 sort of on the side of another event.

-Today, january 3rd i was just out for a drive. I pulled onto Little Sahara road, the sand mtn road. And spotted a monster of a dog, i would say he was 50-60 pounds but fur is misleading. He was the biggest dog i have ever seen. So of course, i drop it into 4x4 and bombed off the road. Chased him for 2-3 miles in my truck, just couldn't catch up to him. Not enough snow to slow him down, but to much snow to slow me down. I would get close and get ready to drop my dogs on him and he would hit the jets.

-I give you this story to let you know why i am back on this site and wanting to get into hunting dogs again. I have my two dogs, and they will chase on site but i haven't trained them well enough on scents. My male will catch, if he gets in range of a target he will latch, i haven't seen him do it but he has the mentality. My female is a bay dog, she would love to track if she was able to be trained by someone more knowledgeable than me.

-Im looking to hunt dogs with my dogs or not, either way. My only hesitation would be that if i do hunt with my dogs I'm not into cruelty. Ive seen videos of people who chase a coyote down with numerous dogs then basically let the dogs harass it. Im not into that, I'm ok with letting the dogs get a reward for doing work but just being cruel is not something I'm ok with. I say this because i was going to team up with a guy a few years ago until he showed me a bunch of videos he had. Im into sport, and after a coyote is so exhausted it actually comes and hides under your truck the SPORT is over. Its time to get on another target, or while the chase is HOT you shoot it.

-I really want to get a coyote, I've never shot one yet. If i had my gun today i would have had this one for certain. Or if my dogs were trained i could have tracked him down.

Please let me know, I'm ready to get back into it and learn. I have a truck, gear, etc. I'm not a total new guy to being out doors, just fresh to this sport. I wouldn't mind going after coons either. Just want to get out there.

Please contact me here or my email is even better.

sed311nin@yahoo.com
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Need Hunting trainer, friend, SLC UTAH, mentor

Postby david » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:18 am

You will want a way to track your dogs. The older styled telemetry systems can be purchased very reasonably. Or if you can afford a Garmin system even better

Then turn your dogs out on that coyote. Your hound will absolutely know what to do. And although the bird dog might not want to trail when it gets real hard to trail, let him go. He is a hunting dog. You have snow. Let them chase by sight, then get your boots in gear and walk them down that track in the snow. In two days or less of you walking out the tracks, the hound will know what you want. The bird dog may want to stay closer to you, but then you will have it to dump in later when the coyote is jumped hot or seen. Try to find an area with a good grid of roads, so you can try to get around ahead of the race.

You don't need help, although it would be nice to have. Your hound knows what to do. Let it.
Sdasenbrock
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Need Hunting trainer, friend, SLC UTAH, mentor

Postby Sdasenbrock » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:56 pm

Well, i guess i don't know how to argue that point.

I just know when we get out there she doesn't know what to smell. When i dumped them on that coyote i chased i handy lost him for more than 20 seconds. Cant get much of a hotter trail than that. She just sniffs like crazy, to much stimuli and i haven't directed her enough. My male, if i had been able to get him to sight the coyote would have chased him no problem.

And not only do i feel i NEED/WANT help. It would be nice to have someone to go with. Not as fun hunting alone, or any of my other out door hobbies. My wife is a sit around go to restaurants kind of lady. I own gear for camping, boating, hunting, shooting, hiking, a SxS and a Dirt bike and last year i got her to come for a 1 night over night in the Mtns and 1 nigh over night at the Dunes. Want to devote my energy to the sports and learning rather than trying to get her to come out with me.

Return to “Coyote Hunting”