scent hound, sight hound, or both?

A place to talk about coyote Hunting with dogs
eskinner45
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

scent hound, sight hound, or both?

Postby eskinner45 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:09 pm

So just looking at the terrain I have and the access to land that I have which is 300000 acres of open rolling hills and breaks on walk in only land. Would it work to run two scent hounds with two sight hounds trailing along on the track until they jump the coyote and the sight hounds could then finish the chase once they can see the coyote? Would that work or would it make more sense to have either scent hounds or sight hounds?
gameganster530
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Re: scent hound, sight hound, or both?

Postby gameganster530 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:15 pm

Once the animal is jumped the scent dogs are most likely using sight in my opinion I would run them together isn't gonna hurt anything
eskinner45
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby eskinner45 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:20 pm

It wouldnt run the sight hounds down having to trail with the scenthounds theyd still have enough left in the tank to make the catch?
eskinner45
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby eskinner45 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:47 am

Also would it work with one of each?
Dan McDonough
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Dan McDonough » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:28 pm

Coyote is a pack game for the reason that the coyote is not only smart but a good fighter and usually a pretty good judge of dogs. By the last part I mean to say that in fairly short order the coyote will stop and confront the dog to see if it really has to run that hard. In many cases a good hard coyote will turn a dog away from fighting. Many dogs will stand there and wait fir the coyote to run again so they can chase it again. Not very efficient in my opinion but that's if your looking to kill a bunch. If you just want to gun them or listen to the dogs chase then it's just fine. The smaller coyotes won't be a problem for a decently tough dog but the big males will.

The other option is to get a tough as nails beagle and bump them along, walk in from the down wind side and use either the sighthounds or the gun to try and end the show. There's more than one way to do it and if your going to be by yourself a lot you'll have to come up with something that works for you.
I am.

Repeal the 19th Amendment.
hillbilly boy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby hillbilly boy » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:18 am

Have you ever done this with a beagle I would think you would just get a good dog killed
Dan Edwards
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Dan Edwards » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:13 am

You wont catch coyotes with beagles.

Return to “Coyote Hunting”