Question from a green Horne

A place to talk about coyote Hunting with dogs
hillbilly boy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Question from a green Horne

Postby hillbilly boy » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:02 pm

It cool I have met a few guys that do some coyote hunting and it seems like calling and trapping are the most common ways around here and it seems like the only hound guys are staying with coon and small game but I found out last night my cousin married a guy that does trapping and game calling he told me that i could come with him and the guy he runs with any time I wanted to and he said that the guy he run with had a dog he used to track drags and animals to their dens but the strange thing was he said when the guy is using game calls for fox coon and coyotes he would take the dog with him but not like a decoy dog like on TV it would lay by him to watch his back for game coming in and to track down a bad shot he said it was some kind of cur dog that came out of L.A never heard of one just being a look out for game but I guess they could pick up on one longer distances then a man could
Bon Plott
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bon Plott » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:18 pm

Good practical advice David. Good average coyote hounds will get a lot of coyotes dead it takes the one or two special dogsfrom the whole litter to catch them with any regularity. Usually takes two 3 or4 yearold well seasoned males to kill one

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Bon Plott
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bon Plott » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:31 pm

These type dogs are often on 30 plus kills before their first birthday. Also keep in mind the core of our group is over 50and been hammering coyotes in the same crossings, circles and Creek bottoms for 30 plus years

Andyva
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Andyva » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:41 pm

I came real close to going the Plott route. I know where there a couple of Plotts that have killed coyotes, but the boy keeps trying to shock them. About the time he gets them to where they won't run anything he might let me have them. There are some plotts that can sure nuff stay up under something and keep at it day after day. I kind of liked the history of the trigg dogs and fox dogs in general, but there might be a plott in my future, maybe even a trott.

I have been trapping since before the coyotes came around, and caught some of the first ones that anyone had seen in these parts. I remember saying, "what bit my fox in the top of the back?" "Who stole my trap that I had staked with a single twelve inch angle iron, way back in here?" I finally figured it out. I have trapped a pile of them, maybe not as many as some, but I kind of figured out there wasn't much future in it, they just keep coming. No need in me burning a tank of gas a day and get traps tore up by a bunch of nasty stinky coyotes, just to have a pile of nasty stinky coyotes at the end of the day. So I mainly just trap here around the house. I caught 15 here one winter in about five different sets that I kept working.

I kind of got the bug, I like hound hunting, do a little bear hunting with some friends. There is an awful long stretch that is not bear season, so I thought it would be a cool thing to do, line some fire trails with shotguns and push some dogs through. Plenty of bored houndsmen in january and february around here. Most of them have radios and garmins, so easy to get a crew. Started out with some, well, he won't run anything else so maybe we can coyote hunt with him. A little bit of, he used to be a good bear dog but he started running coyotes, so we'll use him. So I got a Trigg pup and started showing her coyotes.

I'm now at the point where I might personally give up on the coyote thing and go enjoy a good grey fox race whenever I want. But I know them boys will get bored come January. I was kind of thrown off by what I would call a general lack of grit in this gyp. Every dog I ever had generally wanted to pull fur. She wants to run tracks. Kind of like some rabbit beagles I have seen, oh well that one's dead time to go find another. She is not what I would call eat up with nose either, but the guy that bred her says these dogs are late bloomers, so we will see. We do have a black and tan "start" dog, but the only thing I have ever seen him warm up enough to start had too many hooves for a coyote. I am assured that he is an A-plus coyote hound, but I believe I will keep mine on the lead until he puts one across the road in front of me. Since she is so hot nosed and all.

It has been going for a while up north, but now with garmins, it is a possibility just about any where. There is a guy by the name of Hoover, puts up some impressive numbers with a pack of beagles in Ohio. From what I can tell, it has more to do with your crew than your dogs when you run 'em and gun 'em. (Not that you don't need dogs that can run a coyote, which is not as attainable as one would think). If you want to catch and stretch you need some very special dogs handled in just the right way.

The idea I like about it, is it is a stinking ol' coyote. Shouldn't be none of this "We ran that one last week and let it go because it was small" or "Y'all are killing all the little coyotes". "You can't hunt with us because sometimes you hunt with that other bunch". Nobody is going to make somebody elses dog run trash, because they are all running trash anyway. Nobody is going to get their feelings hurt over a coyote or the lack of coyotes. Those are the parts of bear hunting that keep me from having bear hounds. Whack 'em and stack 'em.
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby perk » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:50 pm

Andy, I'd be willing to bet my paycheck that in Places where a lot of people coyote hunt the jealousy is as rampant as in any other dog sport. The moment too many people are hunting coyote and some one may be hunting coyote where some one else wants to hunt coyote that evil green eyes monster will show up. Human nature.... not all people are like this, but a lot, and I wouldn't say it is absent in the coyote hunting world. Maybe where your at because you are cornering the market by being the only one who really wants his dog to do that you won't see it, but it will follow if enough people start! Which is sad, bc it's just a stinky coyote, but I feel the same way it's just a stinky deer, and there is no game animal that causes more hurt feelings in the US than a dang smelly old deer.. there are entire states that promote the shooting and killing of a dog that may chase a deer. And it prob all started bc some ones dog chased some ones deer to another man's gun (not taking into account it's a wild animal therefore no one owns it, but some one thought that deer was there's) been around deer dogs most my life, when I used to deer hunt a lot, we jumped same deer in same place (does, scrubby bucks and wall hangers) every time we hunted, if u ran him out the country today he would be back tomorrow. Crazy how jealousy, greed and possessiveness have shaped our country and people don't even know it. You mentioned your misconceptions about those deer dogs from eastern va before, 40 other states have same misconceptions...
'If the hounds dont catch him on top, It doesnt count'
'Day Light and Eye Sight DONT LIE!'
EGO is not your AMIGO
Andyva
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Andyva » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:42 pm

I have found in my short time on earth, you have to enjoy the moment at the moment. You can try, but it is hard to recreate a memory. I would say that if coyote hounding becomes popular enough to spawn jealousy around these parts, this ol' boy will have a new hobby. There was a time that I coon hunted every night and twice on Sunday. Seems too popular now. They don't allow deer hunting on this side of the state in any manner that would stimulate excitement for me. My fondest memories of deer hunting, besides the few times I have been fortunate enough to do it on the eastern side, were back when people were tickled to death to fill their one and only tag on a spike buck.
Bon Plott
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bon Plott » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:05 pm

Turf wars are real. Deer hunting makes a-holes out of alot of otherwise normal people. The old time hounds men are very possessive of their area even when they got nothing that will run a cat you don't want to be caught dropping dogs too close to there zone. Some bear hunters will shun you if you have multi specie dogs, but will a 1.5 year old plott that has three months of running and chewing on coyote ever burn a bear that first season

Bon Plott
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bon Plott » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:13 pm

I also wanted to bring up the late bloomer statement is

Bon Plott
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bon Plott » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:37 pm

Retry, anyone had a late starter transform to a top hound? I have found that you know when you have the "real deal" after the hounds first full season, coyote bear or cat, those young dogs that are finishing races and tracking on their own will usually finish earlier and be starting and leading the show by 2 or3. My point is " late bloomers" may end up nice average hounds by 3 but who is breeding for average and who can wait 3 years to see their dog under a bear or hoping he'll follow you up after you got the coyote to the truck.

Andyva
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Andyva » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:54 am

The man's exact words were, that a lot of his dogs had to hit three before they got enough track speed to be a pack leader, and that in his experience, they took colder tracks as they aged. I think though, that a lot of what running dogs have lost in the running pens, Plott dogs have gained in the bear woods. What I see is the difference in something that just wants to run track and something that wants to kill what ever is making that track. If I can make one run in front of somebodies gun I will be tickled. We will have a large time no matter what.
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby perk » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:12 am

Only can speak for Fox dogs but, Seen tons of slow starters mature to above average dogs, and some you thought were world burners at 12 months that were never any better with age. Best trail dog I ever raised wouldn't impress anyone at 18 months old, turned 4 and was my coldest nosed truest trail dog, he was an okay dog those first few seasons but once in his prime was a top hound. Young dogs should be in the pack, helping and finishing tracks.... but honestly if a 12-18 month old consistently leads your 3-4 year olds then you need to cull those dogs in their prime years IMO and build off that young dog. Unless a freak of nature no way should that young dog consistently out do that hound in its prime
EGO is not your AMIGO
Bon Plott
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bon Plott » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:55 am

Perk I agree, meant at about 2 or 3 should be able to start and and lead their own races . They will likely still have common young
dog problems. I asked cause I have kept several of the mediocre 1.5 that showed a little Promise (I ll admit may have just been the best looker) that just stayed mediocre. The "real deal" comment was probably typed too literal also as you may have a feeling you have a good one but I do also agree they arent the real deal for a few years.
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby perk » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:39 pm

I've seen many that were mediocre at 18 months that remained that way... I prob got 2-3 of those mediocre ones in my pack right now lol
EGO is not your AMIGO
Dan Edwards
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Dan Edwards » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:13 pm

Ive never seen a young coyote hound worth a damn. My buddy use to say, "all a young dog has to do is pleasantly surprise you now and again." He was right.

Return to “Coyote Hunting”