coon hound for coyote hound

A place to talk about coyote Hunting with dogs
Michiganhoundsman
Facebook ID: 0

coon hound for coyote hound

Postby Michiganhoundsman » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:34 am

i have a blue tick outta the jet bloodline and i was wondering would i be able too train him too hunt both coon and coyote but i was told it wouldn't have the stamina whats your guys opinion
BAR BAR 2
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: coon hound for coyote hound

Postby BAR BAR 2 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:58 pm

White River King, owned by, Lester Nance, was the first dog registered in the Treeing Walker registry. Mr. Nance had, King, trained to where he would run fox during the day, but was a straight cooner once the sun went down. What you want to do is possible.

That being said, most coon hunters consider a dog that runs coyotes, or any other game besides coon, as being trashy. Because coon hunting takes place at night and a person can often times not see what game is being ran, every coonhunter I ever knew wanted their dogs to be straight. If you were just interested in having a 'hide' dog, it may not matter what he runs, just as long as he catches fur on the end. Just remember though, when you do want to go have a coon race, you could very likely get on a coyote that could lead you and your dog on a chase to the next county.

As far as the bloodlines go, I am unfamiliar with them and can't speak as to how good they are for a given pursuit. Good luck and please keep us updated on what you decide.

Tex
=2
cfanno01
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby cfanno01 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:12 pm

My best yote dog is a big bluetick supposedly from "coon" type bloodlines even though Ive never actually used her for coon. she ran a yote this morning and bayed it up after 7 miles in deep snow so I dont think stamina would be a huge problem. some days they will keep up with a yote just fine, some days they dont have a chance, just depends on conditions in my opinion. I think your dog would do fine for yote, but the challenge will be keeping him off yotes when targeting coon. i only run cat and yote in the snow so this is not an issue for me.
Michiganhoundsman

Postby Michiganhoundsman » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:05 am

thank you guys the only time ill be running coon with him if i deiced too do both would be in the fall when there is no snow and coyote hunting when there is snow so that's what i gotta make my mind up on

Return to “Coyote Hunting”