yote race distance

A place to talk about coyote Hunting with dogs
Doghunter86

yote race distance

Postby Doghunter86 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:40 pm

Whats the average distance from the jump or start of the race to out where the make a turn? Dabling in the idea of running coyotes but would like to know what can I expect? I know they can run and put miles on the dogs, and I know some can break the rules. Just looking for a general answer, mostly as to farthest distance from jump to turn and how big a circle can i expect to see.
Northrunner
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: yote race distance

Postby Northrunner » Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:22 pm

Bare ground or snow and what depth it is and conditions, and then the dogs you have behind the yote are going to determine the speed your chase is going to have..

Yotes will change the way they run depending upon conditions as well.. if it’s powder soft deep snow in the woods you will have a hard time getting a yote to circle in the woods, he will just want to stay out in the open on good going on hard pack out in the fields and vice versa if it’s good conditions out in the open.
If they know you’re posted up or sitting on the road you’ll typically have a harder time getting them to leave a block of woods.
Like a lot of game, you can’t predict what there going to do everytime.
One time you will be picking them up at the next town ,10-20 miles away in the next county. and the next run you will be sitting at a 40 acre patch for 8 hours..
What I’m trying to say is a coyote is going to do what it wants to do.
It might circle there in that 40 acres for 8 hours then line straight out and go straight west 10 miles like it has a compass in its pocket.
Like a box of chocolates.
YOU Never know what your gone get!

If you have slow old fashioned type hounds that never put enough pressure on the game to get him to leave the block your hunting, your best bet is to find a place where he’s circling and sit there with a shotgun because you’ll most likely never catch it..
Northrunner
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Northrunner » Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:28 pm

If what you call turning is what I call bayed up or caught.. again it’s all dependent on conditions and the yote your running, the dogs you use..
Run a dry ground yote with best pack dogs around all day 50 miles might not catch ‘em
and in hip deep snow with one dog I’ve caught plenty coyotes that have run maybe quarter mile and bay up
Doghunter86

Postby Doghunter86 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:25 pm

Down here in southern MO it would be all dry ground. What I intend to do is start out with acouple of dogs and run to hear the race, gun some when I settle in and add some dogs to the the pack as I gain experiance. I might have posted the wrong question, I guess What im trying to get an answer on, is from the jump what is the distance the race stays in, say does the yote circle within 5 miles USUALLY? Like with running rabbits with beagles Ive got some wild card rabbits, but for the most part the race USUALLY stays within 400yards. Or is every yote a wild card?
Northrunner
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Northrunner » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:38 am

Unless he’s in a enclosed pen you’re not going to predict readily what a coyote is going to do.

My opinion and answer to your question ….WILDCARD
Doghunter86

Postby Doghunter86 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:25 am

OK thank you north runner.
not color blind
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby not color blind » Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:52 pm

In my area, if you jump them in their home turf they USUALLY stay within a 2-4 mile radius. If you jump them out of their area they usually straight line (however far that may be) to their home turf and then start circling(some wider, some closer).

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
scrubrunner
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby scrubrunner » Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:55 pm

I have friends that run them at night. They say they pretty much stay within hearing if you stay still and quite, but if you get to driving around trying to head em off and shining lights, then it will change zip codes.

Return to “Coyote Huntingâ€