Qusestion about coyotes killing hounds

General DiscussionForum
RandTMcKnight
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 1595045383

Qusestion about coyotes killing hounds

Postby RandTMcKnight » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:28 am

Saturday night I think our dogs trashed on some coyotes. We dumped three on a cat and when we went to track them, only got a signal on one, not sure if the collars took a crap or what but the other two have not came back yet, which is odd for them so I was wondering can coyotes kill a hound ? Any info would be great.

Thanks, Robert
___________________________________________________________________________________
"You don't know what you don't know"
Caincando1
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Re: Qusestion about coyotes killing hounds

Postby Caincando1 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:11 pm

Well I guess anything is possible. We run a lot of yotes with hounds and my gut says probably not. The only way I could see it happening would be a pack of coyotes. We don't get big packs around here. They usually run in 2-3 sized groups. If you have big packs of them where you are at, then maybe.
RandTMcKnight
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby RandTMcKnight » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:24 am

Yeah there are big packs around here. got my dogs back though they were trapped, not real happy with that but at least they are not dead.
___________________________________________________________________________________
BlueJohn
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby BlueJohn » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:24 am

What do you mean "trapped"? And where?
RandTMcKnight
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby RandTMcKnight » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:28 am

trapped as in a steel trap, both were caught on thier front left leg both are swollen but no fever and not to tender I think they will heal fine.

thanks, Robert
B.B.BD
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby B.B.BD » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:46 am

Where the hell you running your hounds at? Just so we have an X on the map
Emily
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Emily » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:32 am

There was an incident near me last summer that resulted in a hound with a $1200 vet bill because of yotes. The guy runs this hound on both bear and yotes. He put several hounds on a bear, and this one split off after a yote. The yote ran her to his buddies (not unusual) and she came in to the hunter with four yotes on her. We are not allowed to carry firearms during bear training season and the unarmed hunter had to beat the yotes off her with a stick.
I will say that I run bear in the same place all the time and have never had an incident, even though my dogs will occasionally trash on whatever. But I don't run my bear hounds on yotes intentionally. Our eastern yotes are way bigger than western yotes (50-60 lbs is typical here).
It is not uncommon here for a yote pack to send a decoy yote out into a pack of hounds coonhunting at night, and lead one or more back to the pack. This usually results in a scrap, but the hound usually gets back alive. The yotes will also come in on a tree and start a fight at the tree, running the hounds off. While the yotes are big, they are not wolves and usually the worst they do here is inflict some bites and run the dogs off.
esp
Nolte
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Nolte » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:37 pm

Caincando1
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Caincando1 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:19 pm

Steve White
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Steve White » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:31 pm

Biggest pack in WI I have seen is 6. Seen one in IA that had 9. Have a pack the dogs at least once a year during the bear season. Perhaps they feel it is some sort of payback. Until the dogs turn on them :lol: have never seen a yote kill a dog, but have heard of it in the southern states a lot. About the most damage I have seen is a few holes in the nose, and in the ears. Yotes don't fair a whole lot better though. Like Nolte said we don't get many over 40lbs, but we do see a few. At least one a year gets shot between 50-60lbs. have to wonder about those being hybrids. I have been trying to kill one for 3 years now that I know is over 60lbs!!! He is one smart, and lucky SOB!!! Since it has some black coloring and the size it may also be a hybrid. Last few times we ran him. He had no trouble running ahead of the dogs in the swamps with deep snow. Meanwhile his smaller brethren get caught real easy. Last race we got close as he was getting tired, but went into a large swamp just before dark so we pulled the dogs. Next time, Next time :beer
Steve White
White's Woods & Waters
http://www.whiteswoodsandwaters.com
steve@whiteswoodsandwaters.com
715-892-0032
Emily
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Emily » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:45 pm

1) I didn't actually see the vet bill
2) Vets are expensive in NY, especially emergency calls. The figure sounds plausible to me. Same vet once charged me $400 to pull porcupine quills after midnight. I pull the quills myself after that. The emergency vet charges 2X what anyone else does because they are available all night, but they are 65 miles away from me. This dog had multiple bone fractures on one leg and needed a lot of stitching.
3) This was the guy's bear strike dog, and she is worth a lot to him
4) Most of the damage was to her haunches. She's recovered well enough to breed, but she'll never run flat out again.
esp
briarpatch
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby briarpatch » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:12 pm

Well, perhaps these Texas coyotes are not as large as those in the northern and eastern states, but I will wager there are more of them! Never been a yote hunter, but have had friends who are for many years. Never heard of yotes killing hounds, but should add that the hunters around here usually hunt from 5 to 20 dogs in a pack. This may prevent the yotes from being aggressive.

briarpatch
RandTMcKnight
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby RandTMcKnight » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:17 am

Thanks for all the replies, we have vet's here that like to overcharge as well. I had a 900 dollar bill a while back do to porcupines, I agree with emily I pull them out myself after that. BBBD I hunt here in the high desert and I am finding more and more that there are traps everywhere!!! I am not too informed when it comes to trapping but from what I gather they are suppose to have signs every so often where there trap line is and they are to check them no more than every 48 hours, too bad the ones that trapped my dogs were'nt upholding that or I would have had them back a day earlier.
mihunter79
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 759072651

Postby mihunter79 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:39 pm

Some cousins of mine lived in the northern lower peninsula of michigan right by the mackinaw bridge. They had a neighbor who had a couple of airedales. Well the airedale was attacked by a pack of yotes, and was killed but from what i heard the airedale killed a few. So yeah i could see a pack of them being able to kill a single hound.

Return to “General Forum”