Hound horns??

General DiscussionForum
Budd Denny
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Hound horns??

Postby Budd Denny » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:44 pm

:shock:, Holy shit!!!! I would have done past out halfway threw his going home call!!!! Hard to tell how loud a horn is though unless your outside and in person. When I hear someone else blow there horn I have to back away, VERY loud, three times louder than any whistle I have ever heard.
When Norwester came here he would blow a long return call and when calling beagles to the line he used the game spotted call from above video.
........Budd Denny..........
2ndhound
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby 2ndhound » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:17 pm

That fellow has a set of lungs on him! Seems one of those real horns is just what I'm after, I found what appears to be a decent ( cow horn company) So I think I'm going to get a few cow horns and try those and purchase a "real metal one" to boot, see which I like more. I betting on the metal one for my type of hunting, I'm thinking the cow horn will produce a animal type sound, which may not be so good depending on where you live, The wolves aren't in UT yet much. but they are on the way, The metal horns make a sound that is obviously human and should be foreign to a wolfs ears hopefully it just might scare the deer meat out of their arse and save my dogs someday, Besides that thought I was thinking that if I have an Ecollar system failure in the field all is not lost if I train the dogs to the horn, I could even use it for trash breaking if I work on it, a warning call (no response) Ok send a ZAP!! shouldn't take long till they listen to the warning call, Heck I think I'm going to have some fun with this glad I asked
Ken
Hermit
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Hermit » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:58 am

where would you buy or find the american (horn) hunting horns from as i have never been able to find any for sale when i have looked or are they just not made anymore ?
007pennpal
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Location: Oregon, California, Idaho, Utah, Nevada, Montana, Indiana, Ohio, BC

Postby 007pennpal » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:53 pm

Yes somebody please post a link to a usable horn maker.
Sgt. Michael's Kennel
Lead The Way
503-510-2910
seancmichael@aol.com
Budd Denny
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Budd Denny » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:17 pm

There used to be a maker in New York but don't think they are in business any more.
Here's one from the other side of the pond.
http://www.tackagain.co.uk/
........Budd Denny..........
Marcel B&t
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Marcel B&t » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:01 pm

there isn't any wolves around me, would a moose call travel farther than a whistle?
Connie butter B&T's and a little yadkin river walker.
NorWester
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby NorWester » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:36 am

Here's another site,
http://www.calcuttandsons.co.uk/categor ... -horns/13/

They're not cheap.

Haven't called in wolves with mine, but I have called in deer in rut :shock:
More a testament to how wacky a buck can be when in rut than how the horn sounds.
007pennpal
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Location: Oregon, California, Idaho, Utah, Nevada, Montana, Indiana, Ohio, BC

Postby 007pennpal » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:16 pm

I ordered one of the cheaper ones from England. $25. Although I hate to send them anything, ha ha.
Sean
Sgt. Michael's Kennel
Lead The Way
503-510-2910
seancmichael@aol.com
2ndhound
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby 2ndhound » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:19 pm

Dont feel bad there 007, I just accidentially ordered 2 of the more expensive ones :roll: I would have sworn I cleared the accident before I pressed submit payment, But nope! now I will have 2 horns both the same. hope I like them.
Machias
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Machias » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:04 pm

I bought a nice cow horn from Bill Boatman's, sounds really good and carries a long ways off.
Fred Moyer
Sungmahetu
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Sungmahetu » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:50 am

redfeather
Facebook ID: 1610612937

Postby redfeather » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:26 pm

I have used and made cow and goat horns since back in the sixties.never sold one but made a bunch for friends.its hard to get useable horns now days because people use them for other things.I brake my hounds to the horn here at the house along with that other collar.I will put a pitcure of some i have made in here some day if i dont forget
SASS
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby SASS » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:09 am

Goose
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Goose » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:26 pm

I’ve used one all my life, guess some habits never die, we were poor folks when I was growing up and any type of tracking and recovery collars were completely out of the picture, those were for rich folks lol, my dad always used one when I was younger and I guess it rubbed off on me, the dogs I have now aren’t as accustomed to it as some of the dogs I’ve owned in the past and with todays technology their not really used anymore, I still carry mine in my collar bag and break it out every now and then if I got a dog deep that’s headed in, and for a good conversation piece, their sound just carries way better than a human voice, I’ve got two horns off a beef master bull I had butchered that I’m going to try and make one for myself, I don’t collect them per say but will buy one if I see it and it’s reasonably priced...
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:19 pm

A single barrel shot gun makes a pretty good cow horn if you need one and it’s at home. Find the sweet spot and it sounds good as a horn, a litter higher pitch but I’ve called a lot of dogs in with one.

Return to “General Forumâ€