where were you

General DiscussionForum
nmplott
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: where were you

Postby nmplott » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:21 am

I just arrived at school for my senior year (it was one of like 10 days I showed up) and my friend Diego told me that a plane crashed into the first tower, then I called my gf at the time (now wife) who was going to her first class at unm about this, I spent the rest of the morning in my teachers class who was in the guard just waiting to be activated. I remember football practice that night... the coach said, " I dont care if they bomb los alamos right now you better be here at practice"
www.arrowbarkennels.com
Home of Plott hounds and American Bulldogs
Rcher
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Rcher » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:48 am

I was hunting elk in the Missouri River Breaks in my home state of Montana.
I woke up earlier than normal that morning. I had been chasing around a particular bull for a couple days and thought I finally had his number. He wasn't a huge bull, a really pretty six point, probably around 340ish but looked like he should be on the cover of a magazine, just plain handsome.
I hiked in 3.5 - 4 miles before the sun came up and met him halfway to the bedding ground he and his cows were headed for as the greys turned to pinks and shooting light finally made it across the horizon.
For 3 - 4 hours I gave that bull my full repotoire of elk calls, I would rush in to make something happen then 10 seconds later I would be running the other direction as fast as I could retreating from the fickle wind currents. The entire morning I was anywhere from 30 to a hundred yards from the bull and at any moment I knew if I kept dogging him sooner or later something would happen and I would put it together.
In the end the bull bedded with his cows in a dense patch of junipers in a steep ravine. Though I had vowed that I would either kill this bull or run him out of the county that day something told me to walk away. I started the long uphill hike to the truck.

When I got back to the truck, exhausted, the good kind of exhausted that comes from a morning of chasing elk and your both physically and emotionally wasted but raring to come back after a meal and a nap and do it all over again, I remember looking to the sky and noticing how beautiful it looked, a deep, rich, blue with neither a cloud or com trail to be seen. I also remember how thankful I was, thankful to live in a place where I was free to do the thing I loved the most. I found myself feeling strangely fulfilled and at peace with every thing, my job, my family, Life.
I turned on the radio to the NPR to hopefully get a local weather report and that is when I heard the news, strange how the events of my morning suddenly seemed so small and inconsequential and at the same time so important and meaningful.
I remember pulling into camp that morning, almost rushing to tell everyone the news. But as I pulled in everyone was gathered around a small am/fm radio someone had pulled out and the looks of reverence on the faces of those gathered around told me with a clarity that words can not relate, that everyone already knew.

I did not know anyone in the towers, I have never even been to NY. However, simply being an American tied me to those people that morning in a way similar to the bond of brothers and sisters. That day left me with a sense of gratitude and country I would not have had that tragedy not occured.

Never Forget.

JT[pdf][/pdf]
Houndhead
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Houndhead » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:12 pm

I was bear hunting that morning, we had treed a small bear and let it go.We got back to the trucks and loaded up dogs and were shooting the bull when a log truck stopped and told us something was going on.It was all pretty confusing gathering info from the radio.So far, it looks like I was the only one looking up a tree that day.
FullCryHounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby FullCryHounds » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:21 pm

I had arrived home from our camp in Alaska the night before! I had to come home early that year. Ron flew into Kotzebue that day and was told if he landed, he would not be able to take off again. He turned around and spent that day dropping off food and supplies to all the spike camps. He was not supposed to fly at all but had to get word out to all the hunters.
Dean Hendrickson
Pine, CO.
Rocky Mountain Wildlife Studios
rmwildlifestudios.com
blackpaws
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby blackpaws » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:32 pm

i was working that day installing an air conditioner for an elderly couple. got done mid morning and went in to town to get a burger. i knew nothing had happen yet but at the tavern the T.V. was blaring to the destruction. i sat and watched for about 3 hours. even called the boss and said i was done with the A/C and i wanted the afternoon off to watch the coverage. he did the same as he was a vietnam vet. Anger is an understatment. someone had mentioned the torture being so bad that it forced people to commit suicide by the hundreds. The ral sad part came when we the U.S.A. voted a guy with the middle name of Hussein into office.
BoarHunter1
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby BoarHunter1 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:28 pm

Return to “General Forum”