Fence/ kennel help

General DiscussionForum
Sammiller03
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Fence/ kennel help

Postby Sammiller03 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:26 pm

Im considering making 20x30 pens to keep my hounds in. I will be using 60 inch tall horse fence(2x4 holes) and putting two strands of electric at the top to make it six ft high and a hot wire on the inside and outside to deter digging in or out. Using telephone poles for posts sincE I can get them cheap. Prob keeping multiple dogs per run and separate when in heat. I Only keeP females. Wondering if anyone has any tips or advice or pics on this type of setup.

Thanks sam
Unreal_tk
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Fence/ kennel help

Postby Unreal_tk » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:31 pm

With that cheap fencing and a small space, be careful of chewers. They will chew thru that fence if they are bored! If the enclosures are bigger less chance of that.
Sammiller03
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Sammiller03 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:53 pm

Not the cheap garden fence . I'm going to use the heavy horse field fence. Might consider going larger.

Thanks
Sam
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby pegleg » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:00 pm

I use almost exactly the same set up except steel pipe for post and gates use smooth two strand horse wire for the bottom electric fence so you don't get dogs hung up in it not bad if your home but will absolutelyruin a dog if your not home! I put the wire about ten inches from the fence and four to six off the ground . I cemented the bottom into the ground about a foot by using large rocks . I've never had a dog chew through it in fifteen years . Make sure you get the fence guitar string tight and the hot wires also
Unreal_tk
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Unreal_tk » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:22 pm

Pegleg can we get some pictures, I would love to see it!
Sammiller03
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Sammiller03 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:00 pm

I was going to stretch the horse wire with the tractor and fence streatcher and use high tensile springs and tightners on the smooth wire. How is your setup working for you. My thoughts are less water bowls to fill up and less board dogs if I group them up. Thought about short chains for feeding time. Snap dogs up. Feed. Go do other chores. Unsnap dogs.

Sam
chappy

Postby chappy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:51 am

strap on the tritronics at feeding time to keep them out of each others dish.only takes a couple days for them to learn.i keep 3 females & 1 cut male in the same kennel
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:19 pm

Guys I can't get a pic worth posting as big as the pens are and with the mesquites in the pens its just basically a fence with dog house and bushes . I am building another set on another place that doesn't havemesquite I'll get some pics of them when I finish the other thing is I use box feeders and automatic waterers the feeders don't matter much but the waterers are a neccissity in this country
blackpaws
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby blackpaws » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:03 pm

Here is my project from this past spring i posted about on another site.

i started working on a new kennel for my dogs.  i have decided to go with the big kennel route where all the dogs are in one big kennel together.  the shed that i am building is 10ftx12ft.  i am going to have 3 doors on each side and 2 on the back of the shed so if i ever have 8 dogs there will be enough.  right now 6 is plenty for me.  each house inside will be roughly 3ftx4ft.  there will be a 4ft walkway in the shed to store my straw and dog food instead of keeping it in my garage.  i plan on fencing in from both front corners of the shed for a total of 75ftx75ft.  i am going to try to put pee gravel in the whole thing eventually if i have the money for it but that may have to wait.

Here is an update on my project and why i am building this to make a better spot for my dogs.  every time it rains or in the spring melt, it turns in to a mud hole.  the last straw was when i went down to feed my dogs, i slipped in this muddy crap and landed on my ass in the mud.  i finished feeding the dogs, got clean clothes on and went to Menards.  here is my progress. 

there will be 4 houses on each side of the shed. 

the reason for this project

Here is an update on my kennel project.  I decided to go with heavy duty hog panels.  way easier and way better quality. 

I buried 17 inches of hog panel all the way around the shed and back filled with reject sand/gravel.

Here is what the fence looks like.  50ftx50ft around the shed.

Ok here are some more pics of the kennel.  i am real close to being done.  just have a few minor details to do but good enough to get the dogs in there.

Here is what it looks like on both sides inside the shed.  i have 8 individual house in there. 

I copied Catdog's feeding system in his new kennel set up.  i love this idea because now i can just have my Daughter go feed the dogs and not have to worry about her getting wrapped up in chains or any dogs getting out of the kennel. 

I have 2 buckets hanging on each side of the shed for water.  i am going to run some plastic tubing inside to each bucket so all i have to do is turn on a valve inside the shed to fill up the buckets.  not sure how that will work but going to try it.

Here is the end result of a day of running around in the kennel. 

I absolutely love this kennel set up. you do need to be careful of crabby females that come in to heat. i have neutered males and females running together and no problems except 1 female if another one comes in to heat she gets a little grouchy. they run all day long and my 10 year old daughter feeds them every day. next summer i am going to trench a water line down to the shed to make it easier to water them.

i will add this to the post. DO NOT DO THE ELECTRIC FENCE UNTIL YOU HAVE A PROBLEM. i tried the electric fence on the inside at the bottom. the dogs hit the wire and collapsed on it being shocked. i had 6 squealing dogs laying on a wire that was shocking them. and i used the fencer that was designed for dogs. bury the panels in the ground a little and if you still have a problem then i would try something else.
super white hunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby super white hunter » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:37 pm

Awesome, good to see someone putting in the work to take good care of there dogs.
"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty". Thomas Jefferson
Tracknthetrail
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Tracknthetrail » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:14 am

Sugestion for feeding time and a video of my hounds at feeding time. I stay in the pen with them while feeding, you can see I have a new male pup still trying to find his place in the pack, but the others know exactly where they stand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQTIz_Rm ... AED609ABA8

Happy hunting!!!

Kevin
Get the kids out there with you as often as you can, this day and age they can be so influenced by social media it is scary.

mofo21
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby mofo21 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:19 am

i used 4 foot horse fence and hotwired top and bottom took a few days for them to get used to it but now they stay a few feet back from the fence i dont even have to keep the shocker plugged in no digging and no jumping on the fence

Return to “General Forum”