What's your shooting iron ?

General DiscussionForum
Spevin
Facebook ID: 0

What's your shooting iron ?

Postby Spevin » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:33 pm

What do you carry when hunting with tree dog's and why ? Lately I've been packing a cv m6 scout 22 hornet / 410 . It's lightweight and maneuverable in the wet side jungle ( Oregon). Question ,would #4 shot in a 410 work for coon / bobcat . I carry 00 buck in it as it patterns well .( 5 pellets )
Bon Plott
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: What's your shooting iron ?

Postby Bon Plott » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:33 pm

Semi 22mag with an eotech supper fast supper accurate cz-512

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:12 pm

#4 shot is usually adequate for bobcat at 40 feet or so as long as your choke is not too open. This size shot will also work on most coon but large fall coons are much harder to kill than a bobcat. Their hide is thicker they usually have a layer of fat on them and this will soak up pellet energy/ Head shots you will do fine but you can't always get it. The Hornet will work slick on both species especially if you load it down and use some cast lead bullets . Pelt damage will be minimal with non expanding cast bullets at 1200-1500 FPS.

Bobcat fur in most places is too valuable to blow a bunch of holes in it.

The 22 Mag. is a super choice and about you need for tree game bears excluded. Too bad it is not legal in many states for cougar because it works very well.
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:23 pm

I had another thought on the 410
You said number #4 shot assuming you meant birdshot. #4 Buckshot loads in the 410 make it a much more potent weapon and due to the number of pellets in this load it would be a much better choice than double 00
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:56 pm

That over under sounds like a nice gun! Would be fun to have.

I have never needed anything more than a standard .22 for coon or bobcat.

If I had your gun, I would keep the shotgun loaded for lunch: grouse, dove, etc.
Bon Plott
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bon Plott » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:18 pm

I carried a savage 12 under223 thought ultimate coyote/cat gun til my shoulder told me different.also a little to much on Bay ups follow up shots almost nonexistent as to slow to reload and going from scatter gun to rifle and vice versa usually is not practical.liked it for squeekin.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Spevin

Postby Spevin » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:34 pm

I have some #4 buckshot (9 pellets ) but didn't pattern well . I might have a choke tube installation done on the M6 ( expensive but would be really fun to play with ) . I got my old H&R 700 22 mag out of the gun safe , took the scope off and ordered a peep sight . I will probably have too drill and tap the receiver but I've been there / done that . I want to hybrid a folding stock on it and put a sling post on the side too wear it like a safari sling . Be handy in the brush and compact .
Pagosa
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Pagosa » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:10 pm

I carry a Henry 22 mag level action. It doesn't get used much due to limited amounts of treed game. Hopeful, that will change this year. :D
Spevin

Postby Spevin » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:26 am

I have some #4 buckshot (9 pellets ) but didn't pattern well . I might have a choke tube installation done on the M6 ( expensive but would be really fun to play with ) . I got my old H&R 700 22 mag out of the gun safe , took the scope off and ordered a peep sight . I will probably have too drill and tap the receiver but I've been there / done that . I want to hybrid a folding stock on it and put a sling post on the side and wear it like a safari sling . Be handy in the brush and compact .
awhoundsandguideserv
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby awhoundsandguideserv » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:28 pm

lever action 44 and 44 revolver. bullets are the same so there's no confusion, it will kill anything I need it to, doesn't kick, not super heavy or bulky. and it's what I have to work with. currently building a semi custom 7mm long range rig, prolly won't get to use it with the dogs as much but we shall see.
A&W Hounds And Guide Service.
Hunting and Fishing guides in the great state of Arizona.
Nikki Anderson
Home of Hair Of The Dog Outlaw Biggame Kennels.
nait hadya
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby nait hadya » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:06 pm

Mostly my Ruger 9644 lever, good for lion or wolves, very light and fast shootin rifle.
Tanner Peyton
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Tanner Peyton » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:42 pm

Oh man, now that's a question with a lot of moving parts. That argument is as older then chevy vs ford. Back in the day when I was a little guy running a trap line from a huffy I had a savage .22 long rifle 20 gage over and under. It was an awesome gun that worked great for dang near any situation. I could dispatch a pile of pot meat to and from the traps. But I found out later that when I was hunting with my dogs they would stop what they were doing and come check out the gun shots. So I switched from the double barrel to a ruger 1022 that slung over my back and picked up a recurve for the lunch aspect of things. But there wasn't a chance of wolves, lions or bears where I was at. So that simplifies things some what.

However, if I was looking for a pelt gun on treed game I would go with the 22 long rifle. But I would imagine a 22 is a little lite when a guy sees his hounds getting it handed to them by a mean old bear or lion. In which case a 12 gage loaded with dead coyote might be a good choice for breaking up ground fights. Or maybe a long range high power with a monolithic or a ballistic bullet for a tree jumping cat that won't let you near the base. I don't know, the combinations are endless and a guy probably needs to figure out what he's gonna need it to do and go from there. I've killed coons and bobcat with everything from a blowgun to a 300 win mag. Shoot, I've killed a boat load of coons with a mag light. That being said the best gun is one you can shoot accurately. Anyhow, I could talk guns for days so I better quite before that happens.

Return to “General Forum”