Red fox

General DiscussionForum
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Red fox

Postby pegleg » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:21 am

I havent run a red fox in many years and even then it was accidental. I dont remember those chases very clearly so far as specifics go. However my impression was more open ground running and a more straight forward race similar to coyote. Anyway i have a two part question for anyone who runs them. How do they seem to run/ how do your successful hounds run them? And then how do they actually run as described from watching them run? I watched something tonight ive seen before that brought these questions up.
Bon Plott
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: Red fox

Postby Bon Plott » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:21 am

In the eighties reds were going for 50 to 80 bucks and we trapped a lot of them. Fast hounds were not effective, one or two relatively small loops and they'd hole, a half hour chase was a long one. After that we shotgunned them with beagles much better success rates. The coyote population boomed and they're as rare as hens teeth now

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby perk » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:04 am

The ones I run do prefer the open to the thick areas, they generally run big circles, some will straighten out though, some will run tighter circles. The dogs who run them best are heads up dogs who cast forwards on the track or at a miss. We don't shoot them , generally run them in holes catching then occasional one on top. Sure my terrian on the east coast is different from yours pegleg.
'If the hounds dont catch him on top, It doesnt count'
'Day Light and Eye Sight DONT LIE!'
EGO is not your AMIGO

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:23 am

We usually had snow, the ones that slipped out of catails or red brush circle would straighten out down creek bottom or easy going beaverflow, sled trail open field or cross wide oped lake sometimes over a mile or so till rejumped and come back. Any more than about six inches of snow seems they went right to ground.

Bon Plott
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bon Plott » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:23 am

We usually had snow, the ones that slipped out of catails or red brush circle would straighten out down creek bottom or easy going beaverflow, sled trail open field or cross wide oped lake sometimes over a mile or so till rejumped and come back. Any more than about six inches of snow seems they went right to ground.

pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:24 am

Ve never seen a red here or in mexico where i do most of my hunting it was just a observation the other night coming home we jumped a desert fox and i ran him aways on horseback watching how he actually ran. Being a fox it made me think back over the years to different foxes and how they differ. As a kid i did run red fox but like i said its been awhile and different country

Return to “General Forum”