Pricing a dog?

General DiscussionForum
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Pricing a dog?

Postby perk » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:09 pm

1st let me say I have never sold a dog/pup, if I don't need it, want it, or like it, I give it away or cull accordingly. Nor do I ever plan to sell any pups or dogs, not in this for money, never have been, and I personally believe when miney becomea involved with most anything that is beautiful and enjoyable it begins to Taint it. But I respect everyone's right to their own opinion and if you wanna sell dogs, raise pups to se'll, run a puppy mill etc, more power to you.
So my question comes after reading several classified ads on this site and others and some of the numbers for the dogs listed seem ridiculous at times. I know every dog is only worth what someone's willing to pay for it .

HOW DO YOU DECIDE A MONETARY VALUE ON YOUR DOG OR PUP FOR SALE?

I feel like personally the pup or dog if we are acting morally and fairly should be priced at what we as the owner would be willing to pay for the same dog if someone else owned it. I know I have dogs that have sentimental value that would cost more to buy than I'd be willing to pay, but those dogs shouldn't be for sale IMO.
Every grown dog we sell is a cull from our pack, I just cannot imagine these 4 digit prices for dogs that are 8-9yr old or aren't top dogs. A 8 yr old dog the way I hunt is pretty much done, I can't pay thousand plus for a dog that may last 1 season before dying of old age, or for a 6 month old pup that may turn out to be nothing(I know dogs can die any time at any age). I use most of my money for bills, i work hard and make little. I raise my own pups and give away the extras, bc i enjoy pups and young dogs. Not everyone shares that joy.
So agian How do yall who sell dogs decide it's value?
Happy hunting
Perk
'If the hounds dont catch him on top, It doesnt count'
'Day Light and Eye Sight DONT LIE!'
EGO is not your AMIGO
VARMIT HUNTER
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Re: Pricing a dog?

Postby VARMIT HUNTER » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:01 pm

I only raise pups about once every other year and only make crosses for my self were my closest hunting buddies and I combined are going to keep about 1-4 pups out of the litter. we try to sell the rest reasonable for a 8 week old puppy about a 100 bucks a piece and many times we still will not sell many. We never sell any of our old dogs if they make it past their 2nd season they are here to stay. So many times we have had people hunt with us during season and say man I would like a dog out of ya'll stuff. And 99% of the time when the next litter of pups are born , we call them and they bought a pup for 500$ - 1000$ bucks out of GRNTCH whizz bang something or nother and by the time the end of season comes around our pups are catching and treeing game and they are selling theirs for 1/2 what they paid for it and or giving it away. ETC. personally I have no idea what ideas get into peoples heads some time. Too much time on certain KC forums and or hunting forums IN GENERAL or their dogs catch ADHD from their owners. LOL
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:05 am

Perk, yes some 8 year dogs are done,then there are some 8 year old dogs that are still getting the job done & worth their weight in gold to some hunter who has a pup or two to train on bobcat & has no proven, experienced trainer to train those pups. Suspect the reason you feel that way is because you have not been without a trained hound to work young dogs with in a long time or maybe never. I have a ten year old hound here, thought about parting with him as I have a coming three year old & a coming six year old that don/t need any help from the old boy But thinking back to the times the old hound has told me those youngsters are trashing or in his day showing those young hounds how to catch a critter, makes me realize I own him a comfortable home in his senior years. At ten years he can still road several miles up these steep, steep logging roads, not as fast as those younger dogs, however he won/t be a long ways behind and be busting butt to catch up when a track is started. Heck have a 15 year old that has spent the last four years on retirement, roams free during the day here on the place, lets me know at night when he is ready to go to his sleeping house in the exercise lot & gets 8.00 a pound jerky treat at least once a week from my wife/s sister, plus knows the exact time each day the chickens get feed bread at my son/s place, you can bet they all make sure Buddy gets his share before the chickens get theirs. Buddy also makes sure in these summer months we all know when 6 am rolls around it is time to open the gate on the exercise pen & down the hill he trots to my son/s house to eat any food left in the guard dog/s feed pan. What a life he gets better treatment than I. There was a time when a healthy eight

year old bobcat hound would sell for as much as 2500.00 dollars in these area & recall one well known cat hunter who paid five thousand for an eight year old bobcat hound. And I can honestly say I was offered five grande for my old skinner dog at eight years old, turned it down & never regretted it. You are correct a dog is worth whatever one is willing to pay. Al
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby perk » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:10 am

Al, your right about me not buying an old dog recently, however i started my pack from scratch with a few dogs under a year and broke them myself. I retired dogs at my place plenty, especially if they did the job for me, have a spot down the hill where I bury them, same place we been burying the good ones since my mom/dad got the place 40 years ago.
I understand an old dog is worth alot more yo a hunter without than to a man who has an established group of dogs. But this 8 yr old dog yiu mention Al is worth alot to you because of sentimental value and what he has done for you. That value doesn't really add into the true hunting value of the dog when selling. If it does then he should not be for sale because he means too much to you. I garuntee it would cost alot more to buy him from you than you would be willing to pay for him if I was selling. (Which is fine bc it's your money) however I find it wrong, personally, to price a dog at a price in which you woulsnt be willing to pay for it. Either the dog is for sale at actual hunting value or he isn't.
Perk
'If the hounds dont catch him on top, It doesnt count'
'Day Light and Eye Sight DONT LIE!'
EGO is not your AMIGO
SASS
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby SASS » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:00 pm

VARMIT HUNTER
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby VARMIT HUNTER » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:14 pm

I have had a few people not many tell me the dogs they got out of me did not turn out , but it is pretty dang funny that whatever pups or pup I keep out of the same litter make pretty decent game treeing and catching machines before they are a year old and by the end of their second season they are usually in prime time from then on until they get real old seriously injured or have a stroke or something.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:31 am

I have bought a couple broke dogs that were supposedly seven years old. And here is a thought that has not been mentioned in this thread yet.

Dogs can and do develop senility. And just like humans who have lived responsibly their whole adult life, and then begin doing irresponsible or childish things; so also can dogs. A theory I can not prove is that the trauma of changing owner/home/hunting style/dog pack might trigger something that could be called senility. Because I have seen old reliable broke dogs become unreliable and un broke in this new situation. It can take a new hunter a very long time to figure out what is going on. And it has taken his pack a long way backwards by that time.

I think I am agreeing that these older dogs could potentially be worth a lot of money to some one; but in my limited experience, they might not be worth what the original owner seems to feel they are worth.
1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby 1bludawg » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:45 pm

Keep in mind that everyone has a different opinion on what a good dog is.To me if a dog can't do it all alone they're just a pack dog .
On the rare occasions i sell a trained dog i price the dog according to what the market is,for example a top bobcat dog will go for around $5000.
Human nature being what it is means most people will sell a dog for more than what they would pay for it.
It boils down to what you need at a particular time and what you're willing or able to pay for it.
Keep in mind to that pack dogs for sale are numerous,the real good ones are extremely hard to find !
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:11 am

macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:13 am

Price is always determined by the availability and need or want of an item. If there are only a few dogs that can do what you want or need, it will be priced high and you will be happy to pay if you really need the dog. The key to dog buying is several hunts before you buy. forget about what you have heard about the owner or the dog, good or bad. If the dog suits you need for it , pay the man, shake his hand and go home. The dog is yours, you tried it and you were satisfied enough to by. If nobody is in the deal but you and the seller then it was a worth deal.
scrubrunner
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby scrubrunner » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:36 am

I rarely ever sell a dog but sometimes somebody wants one more than I do. I believe in being 100% HONEST about the dog, if the guy still wants it then get as much for it as you can. I had a guy come to me at a field trial one time inquiring about buying a 20 month old dog, he had a littermate that had won a derby hunt and placed in several others. (I liked mine in the woods but not at home in the kennel because he barked too much and I told him so). Told him I'd take $150 for him, the guy just about tore his pocket off trying to get the money out so fast. Wished I'd told him $300.
Oh yeah, when he came got the dog I gave him 2-8 week old pups too.
SASS
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby SASS » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:03 pm

Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bear hounder » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:56 am

I know this is an old Der thread but I found it intresting I would agree their is alott of dogs over priced but I'd also sat if you want to but a finished bear dog say you won't find them around every corner because some are priceless you can't afford to sell one because you can't find one to purchase and simply replace the one you had . I price my pups acorrding to what they are worth to me we have alott of people come buy and say things like oh those pups are cute I want one how much are they or we want a deer dog fir our hunt camp fir the 2 week hunt in onterio so the price for none hunters is 1000 dollers the price to a serious bear hunter is proply free plus the price of pupies shots or whatever because I want theses pups to hunt bear or somthing they won't rote on a chain so the price determines the value to the buyer and the seller if it all about cash then you are just another pupy mill maybe a small mill maybe a big mill maybe 100 doller per pup mill or a thousand doller per pup mill just my thoughts keep looking up

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Return to “General Forum”