Why do farmers seem to like foxhounds?

General DiscussionForum
HowardB
Facebook ID: 0

Why do farmers seem to like foxhounds?

Postby HowardB » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:57 am

Over the years, several sources have suggested that farmers have a liking for American foxhounds or used to.

What good does the foxhound breed do a farmer that another breed doesn't? After all, they don't herd livestock and they aren't guard dogs against human intruders. I think of a collie, cur or a shepherd as more of a farm dog.
America First
DerekE
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: Why do farmers seem to like foxhounds?

Postby DerekE » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:41 am

Where are you from HowardB?
HowardB

Postby HowardB » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:22 pm

America First
Deff
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Deff » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:08 pm

I'm a rancher and I keep a couple hounds. Perhaps it is because all of the ones that I have had were big game bred, but I have found hounds to be much more versatile than most people believe. They don't harass my cattle and the cows seem to understand that. I've seen hounds chase a coon through a group of resting cows and the cows totally ignored them. A hound can walk up and lick the nose of a newborn calf and the mother often won't mind but a cow dog a hundred yards off will create an uproar! A hound or two living on the farmstead with the family, develop a dual mode personality. They guard the premises while "off duty" raising an alarm when anything looks amiss to them, yet they are always ready to go on a hunt when invited. Their attitude is totally different than the take-off-hell-a-roaring one of kenneled or chained hounds. I have had Black and Tans, Plott, Redbone and crosses, and recently obtained a Bluetick pup that shows a lot of promise as a ranch hound. I've never have had to chain or kennel them and have had no problems with them roaming. Perhaps the fact that I have always had an older mentor dog to guide the new pup accounts for that. With a couple hounds in the yard, we don't loose chickens to predators and I am alerted any time anything is happening outside. Plus, they have been friendly with neighbors and my grandkids and that is important to me!
HowardB

Postby HowardB » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:14 pm

America First

Return to “General Forum”