Patterdale for badger

General DiscussionForum
Dw800
Facebook ID: 0

Patterdale for badger

Postby Dw800 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:35 am

Anybody use patterdales for hunting badgers?
Would like to know how it’s done and how many dogs etc. I run and English and a walker for lions just looking for another way to hunt with dogs in the offseason.Thanks!!
Phillipsj

Re: Patterdale for badger

Postby Phillipsj » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:53 am

No badger but groundhog, possum and barn rats on farms. This has been my first year working them and just helping out farmers with vermin control has has got me more places to hunt tree game. Had I known about these lil dogs I would have been working them years ago, probably the most biddable dogs I've trained.
Dw800

Postby Dw800 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:59 am

Thanks for the feedback. What’s the size of yours? And do you think they would work for badger? I live in Idaho and theres some bigger badgers here
Phillipsj

Postby Phillipsj » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:15 am

The oldest is coming on two years and missed fox season last year and I picked up another pup that's coming on 6mo. The older is about 13 inches the pup seems as if he will be smaller but has a bit more drive as of now. They use them in Europe on badger and they will make contact on a coon so I would say there wouldn't be a problem, just be ready to dig and you have to pick where you send them down. I believe some free cast them but I wouldn't advise it because once they locate there not going to stop, if there head fits in the hole there going. A locator and collar is a must for going to ground. It would be hard to completely stop running tree dogs but we're having fun with these dogs and that's what it's about. If I had to give up tree dogs I would be happy just working patts. There fairly expensive and I lucked up on the first dog, had to dig deep for the second but he's already a ratting machine. If you enjoy working dogs I don't see how you could go wrong they work to please harder than my leps.
Phillipsj

Postby Phillipsj » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:20 pm

I'll add, when I say expensive were talking about the price of a broke pack dog. There's several lines some larger some smaller. If your badger sets are fairly large a dog from a bigger line wouldn't be a problem, where I hunt the sets are smaller and require a smaller dog, for example a groundhog set could go 6ft down and the dog needs some room to work to get a hold. I've heard a dog fox is pretty rough but have yet to be able to send one down a fox set, that's the goal for this year and the reason I acquired the first. Some of the farms I hunt the owners are giving permission based on actually controlling predator population and the pack doesn't always make a catch so I'm attempting to remedy that over the next couple years. Like I said in the first post, just ratting barns and working vermin has got me more land to run my pack simply by providing a service.
Dw800

Postby Dw800 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:14 pm

Okay that’s pretty much everything I wanted to know. The badger holes are pretty big around here so I bigger dog would work out fine. Let me know how the Fox works out. Thank you
tman308
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby tman308 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:39 am

I don't know anything about the patterdale but I have a Jagd terrier that is hunting machine, sounds like he's a lot like the patterdales, rats, mice, rabbits, heck I even run him on bear and lion. If it moves he hunts it he clears out 40 foot culverts on a regular basis
Tman308

Hunt Hard, Hunt Smart, Have Fun, and take your kids with you!
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:51 am

A rat terrier will get the job done .
Phillipsj

Postby Phillipsj » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:36 am

No problem, will do dw. Tman I've heard there's some difference and a jagd will bay more where as the patts I own and ones I've hunted with make contact and once they have a good hold won't let go and then have to be dug to, but like I said I don't free cast. There took to a set likely holding game and enter earth.
Muleman a rat terrier will for sure handle barn rats and small vermin however they don't have the drive to make contact on rougher game and stick to it with no reverse.
Phillipsj

Postby Phillipsj » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:07 pm

received_206010377324850.jpeg
this is as a 8mo old not a very good pic but I don't pack a camera so all my pics are taken by the wife. He was just beginning to enter earth sets.

Return to “General Forum”