DC-30 problems

This is an area for Helping with Garmin Questions, Any posted References or posted Advertisements for selling Products will be removed. This is not a Place to Post your items for Sale, or Ask where to buy products.
bluetickstyle

DC-30 problems

Postby bluetickstyle » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:09 pm

I have 4 DC30's and one 220 receiver one of my collars was acting up at times on initial link up, sometimes I would delete it from the dog list and put it right back in, and sometimes I had to change the ID number to get it to link up, and now it will link up but doesn't track, show any info( battery level,communication, or anything. I can delete the collar and re ad it and it will blink fast and I can use the identify collar selection and make the collar respond, but it doesn't track or show any info??? I've taken it apart and disconnected the battery to perform a hard reset and still the same concern.....any ideas?
I thought there was only one color for a good hound BLUE!!!
timothy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: DC-30 problems

Postby timothy » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:13 pm

If hard reset doesn't work you'll probably have to send it in for repairs. 80 bucks gets you a brand new refurbished collar w/ 3 month warranty
Buddyw
Site Admin
Site Admin
Facebook ID: 100000011567041

Postby Buddyw » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:52 pm

I would try the Antenna first, ounds like the Long whip antenna.

The collars have three antenna on them

the Box that talks to the Satelites, (Black box on the top of the collar for a DC30), Collar should Double or Triple blink and that let's you know that it has GPS signal. If the collar doesn't Double or Triple blink then you need to look at this antenna or wire.

The long whip antenna (vhf Antenna) that you track the dog with. IF your loosing range, or Can't track You need to check this antenna, and they often break in the middle where you can't see them.

And the one that most people don't know about is an internal antenna that you use to Link the dog and Change Communication settings. This is why it asks you if you can touch the 220 or 320 to the collar.

The moral to the last antenna is Just for information, Because you can link up and change ID numbers and Identify the collar, it still can have a broken VHF (whip style) antenna.

Hope this Helps. He might be right that have to send it in but if you have 4 DC30's I would Swap antenna's with one that's working to check it first before sending 90 dollars to garmin.

Buddy
bluetickstyle

Postby bluetickstyle » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:53 pm

Thanks buddy I'll give that a try and letcha know, I contacted Garmin on Friday and told them about my issue they said they've heard of similar concerns and found that updating the software of the collars fixed the issue......seeing as mine haven't been updated in a while I'm going to try that today, they said a new update for both the DC30 collars and 220 receiver came out last month. I'll let yall know which one fixes it thanks for the information.
bluetickstyle

Postby bluetickstyle » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:56 pm

Well I updated all my collars and my receiver today and the problem is still present with the one collar, after Buddy's useful bit of knowledge I have however noticed that the collar is not ever blinking three times as the others, so I'm gonna swap the GPS antennas from.another collar and see how it works, I'll keep youns posted, thanks again buddy.
Steve White
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Steve White » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:42 am

Making sure the collars are updated is always the first thing that should be done.

I would try to reinstall the software on that collar again. Something may have gone haywire. Also after an update it does take a little longer to aquire the sats the first time.

After that I would reset the collar by disconnecting the battery for at least 10mins. This will clear any corrupt date from the cmos.

After all that. Then I would play with the antenna.

Double blink you still have sat connection. Triple blink means a very good signal.
Steve White
White's Woods & Waters
http://www.whiteswoodsandwaters.com
steve@whiteswoodsandwaters.com
715-892-0032
bluetickstyle

Postby bluetickstyle » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:41 am

I swapped my GPS antenna with one off my other collars and it linked right up and was communicating with the Astro as should thanks for the help............ Now does anyone know where I can purchase just the GPS antenna? I run dayglow collars and don't really wanta purchase the whole replacement collar package that Garmin offers if I can help it
Steve White
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Steve White » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:40 am

Garmin does not offer the antenna separate from the package. You would have to find someone willing to split it up. I might be willing to, but don't have one currently in stock. Also would have to think about the price. Collar has almost no value as few really want that collar. The radio antenna would be the only thing of value after that.
Steve White
White's Woods & Waters
715-892-0032
Budd Denny
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Budd Denny » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:29 pm

Steve White wrote:Garmin does not offer the antenna separate from the package. You would have to find someone willing to split it up. I might be willing to, but don't have one currently in stock. Also would have to think about the price. Collar has almost no value as few really want that collar. The radio antenna would be the only thing of value after that.

If ya come up with a price just for the module let me know and pm me. I'm heading out on a hunting trip in a couple weeks and have to do something soon.
........Budd Denny..........
David76
Facebook ID: 100000090403088

Postby David76 » Sun May 27, 2012 7:14 pm

Hello, I have a DC-30 collar that had lose range, the collar is three years old. By now I loose radio contact signal when the distance is over 400 meters or even less distance, and I can´t re-contact unless I am closer than 100 meters.

I have updated the 220 and all the collars and the problem with the collar continues.

GPS antenna seems to work ok. I have no problems with my other DC-30.

Could be the radio-antenna of the collar?? would be enough replace the radio-antenna of that collar??

Thanks.
Dads dogboy
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Dads dogboy » Sun May 27, 2012 8:12 pm

David 76

I would order a couple of Bubbw's long replacement antenae! I see that you are in Spain...it may take a few days to get there but they are easy to put on and sure help with the range issues!

What Game do you pursue in Spain!

Good Luck!
C. John Clay
diamondctv@aol.com
870-223-2063
Steve White
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Steve White » Mon May 28, 2012 7:33 am

David- It sounds more like a unit problem then a collar. If it is the collar would be an antenna problem. Is this the only collar you have or do you have more that are working correctly?
Steve White
White's Woods & Waters
715-892-0032
David76

Postby David76 » Mon May 28, 2012 7:35 pm

Tomorrow I believe I will know if the problem is because of the unit or because of the collar. I have another DC-30 and it seems to work ok. I want to be sure, so tomorrow I will try to track both collars with my 220 and with another 220. I will tell you.

With my 220 I put the both collars together and I went away. One collar kept the VHF signal all the time (I went away 1,5 kms) but the other lose that signal quickly (over 400 meters).

I hunt wild boars in northwestern Spain, hunting with plotthounds.

Thanks for your help.
Steve White
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Steve White » Wed May 30, 2012 10:41 am

Replace the antenna!
Steve White
White's Woods & Waters
715-892-0032
David76

Postby David76 » Wed May 30, 2012 1:52 pm

Ok, I have to change the VHF antenna. I want to buy three long range antennas (Orange Supra-Tuff) but gundogsupply doesn´t ship outside USA and Canada. Do you know another shop where I could find this antenna? I have found "The Buzzard´s Roost", something else??

Thanks.

Return to “Garmin Astro Help Topics”