Size of Micro SD chip

This is an area for Helping with Garmin Questions, Any posted References or posted Advertisements for selling Products will be removed. This is not a Place to Post your items for Sale, or Ask where to buy products.
Ker_man
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Size of Micro SD chip

Postby Ker_man » Sat May 04, 2013 12:57 pm

How big of a micro SD chip can be used in the Astro 320 to load the birdseye?
How big of an area of map can be in the 320 at one time? :?:
Would appriciate any info.
sheimer
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Size of Micro SD chip

Postby sheimer » Sat May 04, 2013 3:57 pm

You can put quite a bit just onto the internal memory without an SD card. If your going to use a card a 2mb card will hold a lot of map on the highest resolution setting. More than I would be willing to wait to download..... :wink:
Ker_man
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Ker_man » Sat May 04, 2013 4:42 pm

Thanks Sheimer. I have a 4 mb card and have the topo installed, but was under the impression that the birdseye would take a lot more space.
Huntsalittle

Postby Huntsalittle » Mon May 06, 2013 12:04 pm

First off I'm pretty sure you have a 4 gigabyte card and not 4 megabytes. This technology stuff keeps me confused most of the time too, but you won't get much done with 4 megs. Not trying to be a smart___, but just making sure we are on the same page here. There are 1024 megabytes in 1 gigabyte. The astro 320 has 2 gigs (2048 megs) of internal memory itself. After putting 10 collars and a few way points on it I have about 1.65 gigs of memory left.

I have a 4 GB card in my astro and have downloaded several areas, all at the highest resolution. I have tried to make each area as large as possible and still have the highest resolution. I have not measured the areas exactly, but they appear to be about 7-9 miles square each (50-80 sq. miles). It looks like each area takes about .20-.25 gigs of memory, so I should be able to download 16-20 similar areas on my 4G card. That being said, you can put as large a card on it as you want and for a few dollars more you can have a 16 gig card, which is the largest I have seen at Wal-Mart. It has taken over an hour to download each area, so it's not something you want to start while you're loading your dogs.

Hope this helps you some and good luck. It took me a little while to learn the process, but now it's pretty easy, except for being so slow.
Ker_man
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Ker_man » Tue May 07, 2013 3:06 am

Thanks huntsalittle, this should help.
JayD
Facebook ID: 0

Postby JayD » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:02 pm

I have 2 16 gigabyte cards that are full of hunting areas. When I down load I always use the highest level so I can see better. I choose not to go with a larger card than that because the start up on the Alpha take longer with more data it is trying to upload. So what I did was created a North Card and a South Card and I also overlapped the areas so if I was hunting on the edge of one card I would not run out of Birdseye view and have to switch cards in a hunt. This has worked good for me so far and I have had it for 8 months or so. I can go anywhere in North Carolina east of I-95 and not have to download anything before I go.
Jay

Return to “Garmin Astro Help Topics”