Age of track

A place to Talk about Fox Hunting and Running Dogs.
WalkerCurCat
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Re: Age of track

Postby WalkerCurCat » Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:53 pm

Had a fox cross in front of the truck on private property maybe 50 yds in front of us. Dumped the hog dogs on it, went up hillside 75 yards or so, never opened up, circled around a bit & then came back down. I was scratching my head thinking culls lol or only hogdogs. Appreciate yall & the info shared. Happy Holidays GOD bless

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:10 pm

Lol always save your pride. They’re just straight hog dogs.

Happy holidays to you as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Walkerdirt
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Walkerdirt » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:29 pm

I’ve seen one cut loose out of a roll cage after 4 good hounds had a go at it. Turned it loose expecting a dog train and dogs only got one bark in. These are dogs that can tree their own now. Explain that to me.
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:16 pm

On Saturday, I cut a snow track at 11:00am that I believe was the night prior. It was up atop a ridge and was traveling North to South. The track was clearly half melted out and froze back in. I put my dogs on it and they couldn’t smell it. They wouldn’t even take it. I decided to walk them out and on the south slope it was completely melted off. It had been melted off 2 maybe 3 days. My finished dog is basically only a snow dog unless it’s a smokin hot open ground track. But my 3 year old Buck, he’s got the drive without the experience. He was able to trail that lion track on the rocks when that lion got to the open ground. He pretty much had no chance of warming that track up but he was still able to go a hundred yards or so in half an hour, before I called him back. Without knowing exactly when that lion came through, based on the location I think that track was from the morning before, as that tom was headed to bed in some bluffs a mile away and I think it was 30 hours or more old. There’s a chance that it was a 2 day old track but I don’t think it was. I wish we could post pictures and videos on here, I’d share them. Here’s a link to my go wild post. The picture of the tracks leading up to the rock was shaded and out of the wind, so they were really fresh looking. The rest of the tracks looked like the one with my fist for comparison.

https://timetogowild.com/posts/rowdy-f- ... EFBDD66C16
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:44 pm

Walkerdirt, those dogs just shook all the scent off that coon in the roll cage, lol. I have seen hogs in a pasture when we first pulled up and they ran off into the brush. Send dogs immediately and come up with nothing. Move on a hunt other areas and come back to that spot and they go straight to the hogs. I don’t know if the scent had to settle or what the deal was but they sure acted like there wasn’t a hog there the first time and when we came back to it they were swarming with excitement.

Rowdy, I’m glad your young male is trying like that. It’s fun to hunt with those dogs that really want to work.

Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:06 am

Lawdawgharris:
Thank you! He’s definitely one of those special dogs like his mother was. He hunts for me and not the pack. I feel guilty because I wasn’t able to hunt enough the last 2 years, to build him into the dog he should be. Hopefully I’ll be able to keep him going!
Walkerdirt
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Walkerdirt » Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:23 am

Lawdawg, some questions about scent we’ll never have an answer to. I am going to test your theory the next chance I get. Unfortunately, they don’t cross the road much when I have dogs in the truck.
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:22 pm

Lol dogs, guns, and the po po, where are they when you need them lol?

I’ve gotten to where I don’t get in a rush if I see hogs that know we are there. Giving it time seems to work out in more than one way. One the scenting seems to be easier and two the hogs usually get somewhere and settle as soon as they can get into cover. If you hurry up and drop on them, it seems like they are in flight mode and that’s what they do. I’ve only seen the scenario I was talking about happen a couple of times. Neither time were with my dogs but for sure good dogs that find and catch a lot of hogs. So at the very least they taught me something.

Return to “Fox Huntingâ€