sight hounds

A place to Talk about Fox Hunting and Running Dogs.
Dan McDonough
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: sight hounds

Postby Dan McDonough » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:26 pm

Houndsnhorses- My buddy lives about 10 miles North of me and we do a fair amount of coyote running together. He bred a AA racer to a plott and has been running it with the running walkers on coyote. That dog is good for about a half hour but what he can do in that half hour in the woods is pretty cool. If that dog is spiked in after the race has been gong for a while he will catch hard and when the rest of the pack catches up it's over. If that dog doesn't loose his edge for fighting (because he's catching alone most of the time), he's going to double the number of dog caught coyotes and that's not counting the times when I'm there with the stags. The endurance on the first crosses does not compare with the running walkers but the drive to catch makes up for it. You may have to adjust how you hunt the dog your proposing to make but if you can spike the dog in on a race you may find a way to use it effectively. Be careful, the sighthounds put a lot of catch in a cross and that may be a disadvantage on lions, it all depends on how the dog handles itself.
I am.

Repeal the 19th Amendment.
Idcurs
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Idcurs » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:00 pm

Von is that deerhound cross out of something David came up with?
Cowboyvon
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Cowboyvon » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:38 am

Yeah sure is.... I just had to have one :roll:
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Henry David Thoreau
Idcurs
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Idcurs » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:44 pm

I wanted one of those stag bull crosses a few years back but never got one.He also had some Birdie/Cur crosses,Birdie was dogo-bull-birddog.I know some boys that got some stag/bull crosses and they are some super hog dogs.You should put some pics of your woldfdogs on that lion they caught!!!See ya.
Cowboyvon
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Cowboyvon » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:38 pm

Here is the video... this was along time ago and the first time I had carried a video camera. Let me know if its not appropriate for the site...

http://youtu.be/THkF0ZCV6yQ
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Henry David Thoreau
KYBoy
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby KYBoy » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:32 pm

I was wounding you all that run lurces what kind of cross do you all use for one to use is nose

Return to “Fox Hunting”