red fox in rough terrain

A place to Talk about Fox Hunting and Running Dogs.
muttman82
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

red fox in rough terrain

Postby muttman82 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:51 pm

Is there anyone that runs/catches reds in steep, mountainous terrain, is it even possible to catch them in areas that are heavily wooded with lots of brush and cover. A friend and I had a discussion about this I run greys in California I think even the area I hunt it would take a heck of a dog to catch a red. Where he hunts is a lot steeper with a lot more blow down. He has a couple of pups coming soon I told him to give the reds a shot, just wondering if it would even be possible to catch one ? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated
southern fox
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 100005518713786

Re: red fox in rough terrain

Postby southern fox » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:04 pm

I will say this its going to take a heads up dog to run mr red , he wont wait on the hounds to run him he is wide open from start to finish, a red will put them to cold trailing on a miss or to cause he is steady getting distance in a lose and a red has a lot of lungs, he is a lot different than a coyote, or a grey, where a coyote wont run no faster than he has to, and a grey wont go out of hearing a red will take u places where dogs don't need to go, here it takes a lot of woods to run a red, it takes fast hounds to stay under him , cause that train will really pull out . here that is . I don't run reds for that reason , he will make you tear your truck up trying to stay with them, here in the south a red used to get a little action, and they were a lot more years ago than now, sence the coyote moved in the only place you will find a red is around somebodys house, coyotes abt killed them all in the woods , so if you find one here he is around someones house getting a easy meal, it takes fox dogs to run mr red ! not a hound that wants to smell every track.
muttman82
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby muttman82 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:48 pm

Thanks for your reply southern fox, I'm glad you explained how they run as well. I forgot to ask that in my post, neither one of us had a clue on how a red runs compared to a grey or a coyote
tstillwell
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby tstillwell » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:14 pm

Southernfox there are alot of hounds that dont smell every track and run with there heads up.

Return to “Fox Hunting”