Gray fox population?

A place to Talk about Fox Hunting and Running Dogs.
Bubba Casper
Facebook ID: 0

Gray fox population?

Postby Bubba Casper » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:09 pm

How many on this board have seen their gray fox numbers fall to nearly nothing and have they ever came back?
undertheradar
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Re: Gray fox population?

Postby undertheradar » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:12 pm

come to DRIVER... SEEN ONE LAST NIGHT LOL. :beer
1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby 1bludawg » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:27 pm

From what i've heard i believe they will.It will probably take a few years for them to bounce back .We've just had a die off in southern Oregon .A old fox hunter told me they died from distemper.
tigger
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby tigger » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:23 pm

So I moved to southern Utah about 12 years ago and do a little trapping and in those years i never caught a grey fox until the last couple years. Talking to my father in law we came to the conclusion that the coyote numbers make a big deal with the fox numbers. anybody else notice this
southern fox
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 100005518713786

Postby southern fox » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:20 pm

I believe your right , coyotes will eat them, in a place where I hunt a club im in, have put grey fox, caught from trappers in live traps, in there for being not having any, first year put 12 greys in there , 3 times a week would put scraps in different places along side the roads, start with fox were doing good eating sraps and staying put, then the coyotes moved in, and in abt 2 weeks not a single fox track was found, and didn't see anymore all summer of 2014 in this club, don't know if they left or got ate, I remember when we had no coyotes, and the population of deer and fox and anything he can catch has declined, something needs to happen cause we infested with them here, wish there was a way to sterilize the female and wipe those things out or at least slow them down, here the armodilla, and the coyote came together at the same time, now we don't have many armodillas but loads of coyotes
Unreal_tk
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Unreal_tk » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:22 pm

To control coyote populations researchers have found you must take 80% of the population for a period of 10 years to make significant changes due to how Mother Nature influences litter size.
southern fox
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 100005518713786

Postby southern fox » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:53 pm

what I have read abt a coyote is when they established in a area that will substain them the females will quit coming in heat as to not over populate there territory , wonder if this is so
scrubrunner
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby scrubrunner » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:00 am

Gray fox populations have seem always to have gone up and down too almost nothing in localized areas here. Fox disappear in an area, you go a few miles away and find plenty of fox. I beleive they die off from distemper ect. In a few years they seem to build back up. Takes a while, seems like forever when it's a favorite hunting spot. They should build back up if it was a good spot befor and nothing else has changed.
But there IS less of everything since the coyote and bear population has exploded here!
mike martell
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mike martell » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:03 pm

Walkerdawg

Postby Walkerdawg » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:30 pm

I've always heard that fox run in 7 year cycles and at peak numbers will get disease and die back. I have experienced part of this where I hunt in Florida. Several years ago we had plenty of fox, the last couple have been very few, and this year seems to be quite a few more. I do know that I had a little fox pen for starting pups and had too many in it and they all died from feline distemper.

Chase

Return to “Fox Hunting”