question about fox pen sizes

A place to Talk about Fox Hunting and Running Dogs.
bbde17
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

question about fox pen sizes

Postby bbde17 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:21 pm

So the thought has crossed my mind about building my own fox pen ( red fox). but i am a little unsure of how big or small to make it. I want to make it so i can runn a few hounds in it at once, I own 500 acres but a lot of it is wet and difficult to get to in the summer months. about 30 acres of it is good and dry no matter what. just unsure if 30 acres is big enough for foxes?? coyotes would be my first choice but i know 30 acres isnt enough for a yote
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: question about fox pen sizes

Postby david » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:36 pm

I am sitting with a man who has two pens one is 265 acres and one is 80 acres. He says he enjoys the 80 much better. He says the hounds never go out of hearing, and of course it is much cheaper. He runs mostly coyotes but also gray fox in the pen. His father never even uses the 265 acre pen any more. He enjoys the smaller one better.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:54 pm

i also knew of a gray fox pen that was very small. It seems like it was five acres. no more than 15 acres. And he trained dogs for folks in it. It was in addition to his very large coyote pen.
aardemar
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby aardemar » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:42 pm

I run in the fox pens quite often. I prefer a 40 acre pen to start pups but once they turn on they run much better once they can open up a little in a big pen. I ran an 80 acre pen for several years and it is adequate for coyotes but better for fox. I had both in it the whole time I was there and preferred the Wyoming red fox for game , they just run better. Also smaller female coyote run the best, just my opinion

Return to “Fox Hunting”