Need some red fox help

A place to Talk about Fox Hunting and Running Dogs.
Mr. Chow
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Need some red fox help

Postby Mr. Chow » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:29 pm

Ah, took a nice long vacation doing some muskie fishing up in Canada, on your tax dollars I guess. Been told that Mr. Chow was missed and there had been some excitement. I guess David was up posting threats all night about my IP address and for some mysterious reason they disappeared. Wonder why that could be. :roll:

Mark, Mr. Chow doesn't need to run anything with your wife picking up the excess customers for free.

Here is my .02 about these sight hounds. Anybody that ever has ever had any success running game consistently does so with a real hound. Take a smart hound and hunt it only on the desired game. That hound will out perform a pack of 20 boarder collies, or anything else you want to use. Have you ever run bear or coyotes? You have two smart dogs at the front of the pack working the track, and then 4 or 5 other imbeciles that are there for moral support and to pack up. Any honest hunter that runs hounds like this will admit most of the dogs in the pack aren't doing anything but being support when the coyote, bear, or the "accidental" wolf decides to take a chance. If you have a stupid dog that doesn't trail, or doesn't pack up, they quickly find new employment.

Sorry boys, but the sad truth is that you want to finish game of any sort, use the breed that was meant to do it. Everything else is just a pipe dream.
stevemac
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 100002530954394

Postby stevemac » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:52 am

seems mr chow is a hound lover through and through, However this has a habit of closing eyes to other methods that work.Week in and week out over here in Australia where red Foxes are a major pest. staghounds fox dogs , lurchers what ever you want to call them find catch and kill red fox by the thousands every weekend all over south eastern Australia.
Mr. Chow

Postby Mr. Chow » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:03 pm

Steve, I don't doubt for a second that sight dogs will catch fox, especially in an area where they are a nuisance, but so will a dalmatian if given the chance. There are a fair number of both red fox and gray fox in my area, but you might go months without seeing one walking around. Your sight hounds do not have the nose needed to find something that isn't just hanging around in large packs. These boobs are in North Dakota and Wisconsin and act like having an odd-ball dog will magically produce game.

Unless you are dumping right on top of a known den, the issue is finding where fox are and a hound has the nose to do it. If you are just looking for a dog that will chase only what it sees, then why not get a German shorthair or wirehair? They are ten times smarter than your greyhounds, faster than your boarder collies, and a better nose than both.
Dan McDonough
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Dan McDonough » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:27 pm

Sounds like a lot of guessing there.
I am.

Repeal the 19th Amendment.
stevemac
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby stevemac » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:10 am

Mr chow it seams that you have a very black and white view and while I agree with some of what you have written, dogs do not work that way while at each end of the spectrum scent hounds are the best at scenting and sighthounds are best at see game a long way off. However in between those two extremes there are a meriod of dogs both pure and cross breed capable of doing what the other do or having the abilities of both extremes. We here in Australia have dogs that can find fox or hogs KLMs away with a fine cold nose and do not have a drop of hound blood in their make up. most fox dogs here can push cover and push a scent with a hot nose until the fox is in sight the advantage they have over a hound is they have the fox caught and dead soon after getting it up and running. I totally get putting hounds on a scent to let them run the fox for hours nothing is better than listening to hound music and have owned fox hounds and enjoyed them very much and while I caught foxes with them regularly I catch many more with my lurches. There is one thing about hunting with dogs there,s a dog to suit every type of hunt and terrain and if not you can go and make one.
Mr. Chow

Postby Mr. Chow » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:22 pm

Ah, that's adorable Dan want to talk with the adults. Why don't you just leave the grown-up talk to the grown-ups. Go get yourself a Popsicle and do some coloring. There's a good boy. :D

Steve, I get what your saying about sight hounds working hot tracks, and no sight hounds to not have better sight than other dogs. The issue is, you need to have a hot track to begin with. You don't have to be the head cashier at a Wal-Mart in North Dakota to figure out that all dogs have a great sense of smell. So in order to find a hot track, you either need to have a pretty good idea where to start looking, or have an area thick with fox.

I understand where you are coming from but circumstances here in the U.S. are far different than what you have in Australia. You're comparing apples to orangutans here.
Dan McDonough
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Dan McDonough » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:55 am

Good points Steve, I don't think your comparing apple as orangutans at all.
I am.

Repeal the 19th Amendment.
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:58 pm

Just got back from a safari in Africa huntin the big 5 and have a 2 day lull before heading up to Alaska Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla

Chow: Dont have a wife so you're sadly mistaken, but im sure that is pretty common for you.
AK Zach
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby AK Zach » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:10 pm

Mark, I sure wish ol mr chow would make a trip to Alaska. I could show him the love his father couldn't and bend him over my knee and give him a proper ass whoopin'! That's right mr chow, I said it. You need to piss off brother. Why your ass isn't already gone from this site is beyond me but you sir are a TICK TURD. Grow the f%+?# up and go troll elsewhere. Your point has been made, time and time again. You probably have your pants down when you get on here!! Dumber than snake mittens. You sure would make a horrible father, I hope you haven't spread your seed and polluted the earth with little "chow" offspring. Piss off
Mr. Chow

Postby Mr. Chow » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:37 pm

Mark- Believe me, I am not surprised.

Zach- I sure do apologize, I didn't mean to make a grown man cry over an internet forum. Next time I am in Alaska, I will be watching my back for fear that AK Zach might be lurking in the shadows.

I even thought I was behaving myself there for a while. After reading your severe fox troubles, it doesn't sound at all to me like this fox is all too smart. I think the problem lies elsewhere. Fox are not that smart. They are smarter than a coyote and dumber than a bobcat. If your dogs are missing on a blazing hot, right out of the chicken coop track, I don't think any words of wisdom are going to help you if you can't figure it out for yourself.

Farewell Team Foxcatcher, and best of luck to you all.
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:06 pm

Bye now :lol:
stevemac
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby stevemac » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:33 am

hows that Alaskan fox hunting going the fowls safe yet.
AK Zach
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby AK Zach » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:58 pm

Steve I saw him about 3 weeks ago about a mile from the house. Haven't saw him on or around the property in quite some time. A Couple weeks ago my closest neighbor who lives about 3/4 of a mile away came to me about two missing house cats. I'm willing to bet I know who the culprit is.
stevemac
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby stevemac » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:32 am

Hell be back when hes hungry possibly passes buy every night on his rounds.
AK Zach
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby AK Zach » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:43 pm

Winter has set in here, chickens are still free ranging during the day. Had all but forgotten about my furry friend, hadn't seen him in quite a while. Have a couple spots where the chickens were laying, and my 8 year old daughter went out to collect eggs and said there was some tracks in the snow going into one of the nests. She said she thought it was fox. Sure enough it was! He'd came back through looking for food with these colder tempatures. I set out two snares and a leg hold trap last night going to one of the nests with the intent of setting more out today. Well, woke up this morning and found him hung up in a snare. Must had just happened, he was still very much alive. Gave him a nice dose of .22. Turns out it was a female. A couple of my dogs are in this pic, they had nothing to do with it besides running him unsuccessfully well over 15 times. I let them sniff and wool over it. Seems the chickens are safe for now.....

Return to “Fox Hunting”