please help squeakin fox

A place to Talk about Fox Hunting and Running Dogs.
gameganster530
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

please help squeakin fox

Postby gameganster530 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:14 pm

I have heard a lot of guys talk about sqeakin Fox in and running them.I was just wondering how to go about doing so, how long to run a call,daytime/night? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Dustin1754

Re: please help squeakin fox

Postby Dustin1754 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:22 pm

It is illegal to call gray fox with an electronic call in California. Among numerous other things.
gameganster530
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby gameganster530 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:42 am

Just cause I ask how others do something doesn't mean I'm oblivious the laws. .. I didn't ask or say anything about electronic call thanks~
mpritchard
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby mpritchard » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:32 pm

I usually wait til after daylight to squeak one in cuz they have holed up for the day mostly, and 90 percent of the time if one comes in it will be in the first five minutes. Begin calling and don't stop until you are done. The noise is like a switch, stop the call and the fox stops. After the fox comes in, he always leaves out the way he came in so the challenge for your dogs is not taking the back trac! They have to find where the fox peeled off his back trak, once that happens, it's game on YooHoo!!
Some do Bingo, some do Sunday Church, Some do ball games,
... I DO HOUNDS!!

Ripper in 2002
mpritchard
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby mpritchard » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:07 pm

And the way I read the regs, electronic callers are only ileagal for some non game species, and grey fox is a furbearer not a non game species.

... I DO HOUNDS!!

Ripper in 2002
baiz
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby baiz » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:36 am

I talked to a local warden about this awhile back, while the reg is under 475 (b) in the non-game section of the regs; fox falls under it. Its confusing and loosly worded. If you notice they list bobcat as ok for use and bobcat shouldnt be in the non-game section. Heck maybe ill call down there to see what the Fair Oaks office has to say about it.
stevemac
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 100002530954394

Postby stevemac » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:36 am

we call in red fox using a whistle or a scotch predator caller works day or night especially if you can match the distress call of their local prey they can and will come running in. getting the dogs to sit quite until its time to let them run can be a trick but if you are going to run scenthounds on them you can leave them in the truck until hes been in.
gameganster530
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby gameganster530 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:13 pm

Well I called the fish fuzz in Redding they told me the only critters I can use an electronic call on is bobcat and coyote
HighlandHounds
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby HighlandHounds » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:10 am

Ive always just used my mouth or press my lips against my hand and squeak (suck), once mastered you will find its better than any bought item, as you will never be without it. You can use this for any critter that would eat a bunny/hare/rodent etc

Saying that, Ive tried a few shop bought gadgets, most were ok, but some easy ones are the wigeon whistles, they are a wee metal disk with a hole in centre.

When you miss a fox, he will not squeak in easily again, he will sit way back or flat run away.
mpritchard
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby mpritchard » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:00 am

... I DO HOUNDS!!

Ripper in 2002
Rimrock
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Rimrock » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:35 am

This has been discussed on predator calling forums and it is almost unanimous that fox are a no-no as far as Fish & Wildlife Dept. is concerned.
It may be ambiguous But I wont to get caught calling a fox with an electric caller.

California game code 275 (b)
(b) Recorded or electrically amplified bird or mammal calls or sounds or recorded or electrically amplified imitations of bird or mammal calls or sounds may not be used to take any nongame bird or nongame mammal except coyotes, bobcats, American crows and starlings.
Henefer-hound-hunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Henefer-hound-hunter » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:25 am

Wow! I sure feel bad for you Californians, you truly live in hunting hell! I mean with all the stupid regulations, laws, whistle blowers, and crooked game wardens I'd be scared to set a mouse trap! Oh and I second mouth squeaking, they can hear it from a lot farther then you would guess.
Cameron
mpritchard
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby mpritchard » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:05 pm

... I DO HOUNDS!!

Ripper in 2002
slobberdoc
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 1534531216

Postby slobberdoc » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:50 pm

IT IS LEGAL in CA!! :wink: ;
You can use mouse, bird, rabbit, fox pup distress, electronic or use your voice, early in the morning of in the evening about an hour before dark. Keep the sound going for a couple minutes, stop, wait a couple minutes, start again. If they're around, they are fairly easy to call and come in running. I have found they're much less wary than a coyote.
undertheradar
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby undertheradar » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:46 am

In va and nc we can call fox with electronic call, and there isn't a lot of game... I'd love to see them ban it here. There are thousands of "fox hunters" that don't own a dog.

Return to “Fox Hunting”