GREY FOX RUN PATTERNS ON GARMIN

A place to Talk about Fox Hunting and Running Dogs.
VARMIT HUNTER
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

GREY FOX RUN PATTERNS ON GARMIN

Postby VARMIT HUNTER » Thu May 10, 2018 2:33 pm

Just a question for you fox hunters that use a Garmin, I have fox hunted some with other people when I lived in NC, I primarily Coon hunt, but do grey fox tend to run in about 1/4 to 1/2 mile circles , about what is the average area wise for them to run when pursued with dogs? Red Fox I have been told tend to run like a coyote, not sure if this is true or not. I know a lot of coon hunters think there dogs are running a Bobcat that they think is jumping out of trees when they get close but actually it is more than likely a bayed coyote that their dogs will not grab ahold of. Thanks in Advance.
Olmuleskinner
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Re: GREY FOX RUN PATTERNS ON GARMIN

Postby Olmuleskinner » Wed May 23, 2018 12:43 am

When I could turn my hounds a loose at night at the house, they would run a gray fox all night. Once he made the first circle, which would be half mile radius, they would run that same circle all night long.
To bad the guy that lives mile and half away, is a known dog killer. I don't run around the house any more.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
Katmandoo
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: GREY FOX RUN PATTERNS ON GARMIN

Postby Katmandoo » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:03 pm

The grey fox around me tend to run in a like a 4 leaf clover pattern with a big circle around all of the clover leafs. I seen them run in a tight 50 yard circle before. Can see the fox a pile of times in a matter of minutes. I would bet though it depends on where you jump them. We run them mainly in swamps or clearcuts. Surrounded by big open woods, so they tend to stay in the nasty stuff rather then bust out in open country. But that’s just how it is in North East Pennsylvania.

Return to “Fox Hunting”