German short hair for fox?

A place to Talk about Fox Hunting and Running Dogs.
Flatfoot91
Facebook ID: 0

German short hair for fox?

Postby Flatfoot91 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:19 pm

Does anyone use gsp for fox ?
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: German short hair for fox?

Postby pegleg » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:16 am

Why not? Theyre really a multi purpose hunting dog. They dont open on track but have good track ability. Will say i havent met any fur+feather dogs that didnt develop a hard mouth on feathered game.
Jeff Eberle
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Jeff Eberle » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:38 pm

I had a 1/2 GSP 1/2 Walker I ran with my dogs
Get JESUS In Your Life & Your Dog's In The Wood's

CLAVEY RIVER CUR'S
Henefer-hound-hunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Henefer-hound-hunter » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:06 am

When I was 13 and before my dad let me get a hound I used my dads German shorthair pointer to run coons, I caught a lot of coons with him he would track dead silent and caught a lot on the ground and would make quick work of them, he also treed better than most hounds iv had. He also caught a lot of mink, muskrats, rabbits, and a couple red fox, and beavers! He was also an amazing bird dog. He was all around hunting, killing fool, his only down fall was he hated the cold! I have never been a fox hunter but that dog did track catch and kill a handful of red fox’s on his own. To this day I have never owned a hound that had as much drive to hunt as that gsp, and he never got tired or wore out.

Cam
bearsinva

Postby bearsinva » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:34 pm

Not trying to change the topic of this post but I saw something interesting several weeks ago, at least I thought so. I was at a meeting of the Virginia Dept. of Game and Inland Fisheries and one of the new trainees to the DGIF K-9 core was a GSP. Most of the dogs are labs. I talked with the CPO (Game Warden) that was the GSP's handler/partner and he said the GSP was doing a very good job. He explained that he was using the dog's (Waylon is the GSP"S name) drive as a bird dog and getting it channeled toward the job as a law enforcement Officer (as they are classified in VA. Waylon's partner says most of the other dog's lay down when they make a locate on an item they are searching for such as a spent cartridge, shotgun wadding etc. while Waylon goes into a point like he is using his inherited instincts. He also points on a very narrow area where the evidence is, usually around a 10-12 inch circumference which is an advantage in a brushy or thick grassy area. I thought this was interesting and also shows a GSP'S versatility. Sorry for the interruption.
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:19 pm

Shorthairs are amazing and their parent breed Deutsche Kurzors from the old country are still used on fur as much as feathers.

I try to keep my GSP female straight on birds but I do run her with my hounds for conditioning when on horseback and she has got my best lion strike dog opening on blue quail. LOL!
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............

Return to “Fox Hunting”