Fox vs coyote

A place to Talk about Fox Hunting and Running Dogs.
Doghunter86

Fox vs coyote

Postby Doghunter86 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:06 am

Do most hounds know the difference, meaning in a area with both present is it possible to have a straight fox hound?
felbedp

Re: Fox vs coyote

Postby felbedp » Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:49 am

I don't know. They smell different. Some dogs are bred more for fox. I figured the fight had something to do with it. Yes they can be broke but it takes time.
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby perk » Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:15 pm

Absolutely they can be broke to only run one or the other. I don't allow my fox/cat dogs to run yotes, have a few young ones that may run one if something else starts it, but my older dogs leave it like a deer. But if you have alot of coyotes it's only gonna be a few years before you have only a few foxes.
Perk
'If the hounds dont catch him on top, It doesnt count'
'Day Light and Eye Sight DONT LIE!'
EGO is not your AMIGO
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:28 am

Yes Perk totally agree dogs can be broke from any critter if one is consistent. However, coyote has proven to be the hardest critter to prevent a pack of high strung bobcat dogs from trashing on in the spring when the the yotes are breeding. Interesting you mention when one has lots of yotes there will soon be less fox. Have reached point in life that a good fox population would be very nice & if one never treed that would be even better, as long as I could see the fox to
be very sure what the hounds were chasing. The yotes make for a great sounding race, if they stay in the same zip code. Al
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:24 pm

I have had some really good coyote races with my so called ( bobcat dogs) . Mine will take a stray domesticated house dog as quick as a coyote, they just usually want run as far before bay up
scrubrunner
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby scrubrunner » Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:17 pm

I don’t allow my fox/bobcat dogs to run yotes. Really haven’t had a problem with em wanting to run them even though there are more yotes than fox and cats combined. But I started out years ago now, with a straight dog and trained all the rest from there even though she’s been long dead.
scrubrunner
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby scrubrunner » Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:11 am

Correction to my above post on Dec 24th, had a trash coyote race last week.
By the time I figured out it was wrong they were out of hearing. By the time I caught up with em to get it stopped we’d made a 8 mile circle almost back to where they started it.
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:04 pm

Scrub, I told a fellow one night that my coondog didn’t mess with deer and probably couldn’t run one a guarter mile. A few minutes later my dog opened and went almost straight out of hearing. A little while later we got in front of the race in time to see a deer cross the road. My hunting partner said, that dog sure does learn how to run a dear in no time at all.your dogs sure learn how to run a coyote in no time at all.
scrubrunner
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby scrubrunner » Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:09 pm

Muleman I think they just run up on it and ran it out of frustration, I’d went quite a few trips prior to that incident without running anything.
I had 5 dogs, 3 old dogs I trusted as broke and 2 young dogs that at this point would probably run anything. One of the older dogs (4 year old) opened a couple times and then quit. I was cussing her, she just let em run off and leave her.
The race hit the graded forest service road that I was on a couple hundred yards west of me and went west in full cry 3/4 of a mile down it. I tore off after em still thinking they were running the cat I’d started em on. When I got to em they’d lost it in the road. Just as I’d pulled up and started looking for a track they picked it up running down a very sandy two rut side road headed north. I looked at the garmin and my old dog that didn’t go with em had come out to the graded road where I’d turned out. There is a lot of non-hunting traffic in this forest so I wasn’t going to leave her so I beat it back there and picked her up. By the time I made it back to the sand road the race was 2 miles north of me but I stopped to find a track. 4 dogs were running but I counted 5 dog tracks running up that road and found no cat or fox track.
Then I made the mistake of going on the sand road falling in behind them. It was some kind of rough and was slow going. I had to stop just to look at the drivetrack. They had run the sand road 2 miles then turned northwest into the woods across a broom saige wire grass prairie and to the next graded road and went south down it 3 miles and turned east on the graded road we started on. That’s where I finally caught up to them and ended that train wreck.
Have been back 3 times since then, trotted them past lots of yote tracks, have run 3 fox and 1 cat. So idk, I guess dogs will be dogs.

Return to “Fox Huntingâ€