Started dog or a pup

Talk about Bear Hunting
hunter33

Started dog or a pup

Postby hunter33 » Wed May 19, 2010 1:39 am

Do you guys think that it would be better for someone who has never ran his own hounds to buy a started dog or get a pup. I have been going with a buddy for a few years now. However I just moved to Nevada and he is in Idaho, so I dont have anyone to help me train a dog. I think that after reading alot of the training posts on here I could probably train a dog but I am new to the sport and dont know alot yet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
houndnem
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Started dog or a pup

Postby houndnem » Wed May 19, 2010 3:36 am

What part of nevada are you in? If you get a pup and you don't live too far away you could turn him in with the "Houndn'em Buetics". by the way I have a batch of pups on the way too. pm me and we'll figure it out.
"Houndn'Ems Blueticks" if it smells like a cat, they'll catch it.
hunter33

Postby hunter33 » Wed May 19, 2010 11:52 pm

I live in Ely
shoot4fur
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby shoot4fur » Thu May 20, 2010 5:23 am

Goe with a pup, If you have been running with a budy for a while then you should know if your into it or not, and if you are really into it you will put the time in to train that pup. I have had 3 pups, and 2 worked out great. the other had bad health problems, so it goes to show you can train them just fine if your into to it. If the breading is there, you just need to show them what they have that nose for. good luck, a pup is a lot cheaper than a started dog, and if it dos'nt work, and you had a good pup, then you wer'nt into it enough.
kordog
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby kordog » Thu May 20, 2010 2:18 pm

i would say started if your hunting alone ,and can afford to pay for a started one . a better option may be to start out with an old dog and pups.get one that barks alot on track that doesnt mind pups and is straight. they can be bought reasonable because of there age sometimes. they can teach you and the pups more than you can imagine.if you can team up with someone with experienced dogs just pups is fine . i started out alone and went years without success on bear . i had some great coon dogs over the years before that ,so how hard could it be right ! so i purchased a beardog eventually and overnight things changed he trained me and my pack . i guess it would also depend on your training circumstances to though .if you can spot bear to put the pups on where you live or can take them to live bear bays and such they get the exsposure they need to take the next step ,but here in maine these situations dont exist . so good luck! your first bear with your own hounds will be something you will never forget
Sethchase
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Sethchase » Thu May 20, 2010 6:40 pm

Hey houndem blueticks how are your pups bred, i just got home from blanding ,montecello area chasin bears we caught 2 down in the low country and had a blast. wish we could have stayed longer, bear season does not open till august in new mexico, i would be intrested in talking to you about your pups,806-392-3984,Seth Chase
hunter33

Postby hunter33 » Sat May 22, 2010 12:34 pm

Well I still dont know what to do. As of right now I dont have anyone to hunt with in Nevada. However I do know a guy who traps and would tell me whenever he sees a track. Would 2 dogs be enough to put up a bobcat or mountain lion? I could get a older dog and a pup and start with that. If anyone ever needs some company let me know. Thanks for the input.
Tanner
houndnem
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby houndnem » Sat May 22, 2010 5:43 pm

Two dogs is perfect. my opinion has always been that when working with young dogs the less other dogs around the better. unless you have one solid broke dog to throw in with them. when I had been doing this a couple years I had four dogs. i wasn't doing very well catchin 3 or four all season. my oldest two dogs died within months of each other and I was left with a 1 year old and a 6 month old going into that season. I caght more lions by far with those two pups then I did with my four dogs.(somethin like 13 lions and 1 bobcat) If you get one of these pups from my litter in july, you would be welcome to come down and hunt with us all winter.
imchestnut
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 1419407169

Postby imchestnut » Sat May 22, 2010 11:06 pm

I would get an older finished dog that will run whatever your wanting to hunt in Nevada (bear bobcat and lion I would think) and a pup with decent breeding. If you have one good dog, you can tree about anything. Once the pup starts to go with the older one, he will usually learn fairly quick. Alot of times its better to run pups with an older dog simply because a 3 yr old trackstar will outrun alot of 6mo - 1 yr olds and they won't ever be able to be in the race. Once your young pup is getting along well, making trees and not running trash, you can get another pup and get him going before the old one is too old to run. Whatever you do, the most important thing is to put as much time as possible into the young ones. Also, an old dog can teach you about as much as it teaches the young dogs.
treedagain69
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby treedagain69 » Mon May 24, 2010 12:33 am

if you got the cash, a started dog is best.....at least you know it won't be a dud..
loaded4bear
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby loaded4bear » Mon May 24, 2010 1:28 pm

I love training young hounds and the reward is much higher once they start doing it by themselves. BUT to start you need a truck, $500 dog box, $1000 tracting system, $200 pup x2 ($400),$400 shocking system,Kennel or tie outs, $1000 dog food, and more!!!!
This is just for the first year. Buy a started dog and maybe you will actually tree a bear.
houndnem
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby houndnem » Tue May 25, 2010 2:20 pm

nmplott
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby nmplott » Tue May 25, 2010 2:30 pm

any dog guaranteed to do anything beside eat and sleep should be verified by yourself before you shell out cash. One persons finished dog could be green to someone else.
www.arrowbarkennels.com
Home of Plott hounds and American Bulldogs
hunter33

Postby hunter33 » Tue May 25, 2010 4:03 pm

thanks guys Ill make sure I go and hunt with the dog before I do anything.
treedagain69
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby treedagain69 » Wed May 26, 2010 1:29 am

very good point HOUNDNEM......any dog that i have bought has been from a reputable guy that has guarnateed there dog to perform as advertized.....case in point I called a guy that had a " well started dog" on this site and after a little...well ALOT.....Q&A i found out that it was not even close to what anybody would consider a started dog. it was well started on rabbits, feral cats, deer. no handle, most likely did not even know there name.

Return to “Bear Hunting”