(Portable) Camp dog houses?

Jeff Shaw NM
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

(Portable) Camp dog houses?

Postby Jeff Shaw NM » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:58 pm

OK, i,m single again & got no real ties to town so the plan is to spend a whole lotta time out huntin. Now I know it,s real tough on dogs even in bear camp when they're hunted hard.
Don't want to have to haul 10 barrels or made dog houses around in the woods so give me some IDEAS or let me know what works for you if you stay in the woods.
USFS doesn't allow us to stay long periods of time in one spot so they need to be light weight easy movers, (but warm). Thanks Jeff
Hagerman
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: (Portable) Camp dog houses?

Postby Hagerman » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:08 pm

Jeff, if you cut the bbls in half lengthwise and had some type of flooring, you could sleeve them possibly. Might have to make a cut in the front and back..
Oiler coach Bum Phillips when asked why he takes his wife on all the road trips.
Phillips: “Because she is too damn ugly to kiss good-bye.â€
Not sure if it's true, just funnier than hell. A been there done that moment.
Nolte
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Nolte » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:25 pm

Jeff,

I've never tried this but I saw this from some guys up in MI one fall. It looked liked it worked pretty slick. They took a full 4X8 sheet of 1/8" lauan and then cut it 4 2X4 pieces, then simply drilled a couple holes on top and zip tyed or hinged the top together. You fold it open with the point at the top like an A-frame and then drill a hole in opposite corners and stake it down. For bedding you just bring up some straw and lay it out on the ground underneath the enclosure.

I don't think it would work all that great for a permanent base camp, but for short stays it might be OK. They would fold up pretty decent and not take up nearly as much space as 8- 10 barrels. Just keep the spot for the dogs out of a bowl where water won't run off and have one of the sides block the prevailing winds.
Jeff Shaw NM
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Jeff Shaw NM » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:32 pm

Hagerman, you thinkin that the two halves should stack inside each other to haul & put together when your using them?
Nolte, I kinda was thinkin along these lines; Take a wire type stock pannal cut in the size pieces for A-frame wire the top so they'll fold (up or out) and just get some carpet to throw over them. All I know is the dogs weaken fast without a good warm spot.
Thanks guys! Anybody else?
livetohunt
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby livetohunt » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:45 pm

I saw a guy use some little dome tents one time cut the front zipper part off so the dogs could go in and out on their chains. He said he would get them from yard sales for next to nothing then just fill them up with straw.
Mountainhound
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Mountainhound » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:15 am

Not cheap but what about the igloo dog houses? Take them apart and they stack tops to tops and bottoms to bottoms.
Hagerman
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Hagerman » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:56 am

I haven't really thought along these lines before Jeff, but that's what I was thiinking and like was suggested, throw some straw from a compressed bale in there, That should fill about 8 to 10 of the houses.
I haven't tried it but if the top was cut off and a split made up the back, they should be able to stack better and not take u so much room, plus they would have a rear wall. Just off the top of my head, and I haven't tried it.
Oiler coach Bum Phillips when asked why he takes his wife on all the road trips.
Hagerman
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Hagerman » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:11 am

Jeff, I just got off the phone with David and he suggested the houses that they use at dairies for the calves might work.
bency
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby bency » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:09 pm

Jeff,

I have an old tent that fits about ten people, easy to set up, and take down. Just throw all those trash runners in there together. Thats what ive done in the past.
Call me if you want it, ill give it to you.

mike.
Dan V
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Dan V » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:25 am

Latley, I have been putting the mutts to bed in the horse trailer with some hay for bedding. It works well and they have a water bucket in there. Its dry and out of the wind. When its colder, they sleep in the dog box at night.
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby pegleg » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:18 pm

i have individual boxes in my horse trailer and a individual trailer with separate dog boxes on it. this works well and all are secure enough that i can lock them up leave the mountain get supplies and make phone calls etc. with out the fear of dog thieves or accidents. these are all custom boxes but not very difficult to build. the priorities where safety portability and comfort . wooden boxes are ok if your temps aren't extreme or theft a possibility. on the other hand my hounds have spent many nights sleeping loose in camp. i do carry slip chains for the first nights in camp and young dogs.
livetohunt
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby livetohunt » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:58 pm

Hey pegleg could you post some photos of your set up?
Jeff Shaw NM
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Jeff Shaw NM » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:46 pm

OK, was walkin thru Walmart thinkin about how pricey the dog houses are and it hits me... What about the large plastic totes? Turn em upside down & tent stake em to the ground. Stackable, wind & waterproof and bigger than a barrel. What do you guys think? Later, Jeff
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby pegleg » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:45 am

Nolte
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Nolte » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:05 pm

Return to “DIY (Do it Yourself)â€