CANT tree a cat!

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
Coonsbware
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Re: CANT tree a cat!

Postby Coonsbware » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:33 am

nothing is worst then a dog blowing up a track, I hate it! I've even gone so far as to do a full inspection of the dog box before leaving to go hunting, to no avail. I turn loose and the next thing I know I hear boom after boom after boom; one dog will be lighting the dynamite and the other placing it in the track! Sures plays havoc on a cat race. As far as finding a bobcat dog, just look under the collar like a shirt, instead of S, M, L, etc. it will read C, BC, B, L or S....you want the one that says BC (for Bobcat) and stay away from the S's, they stand for shitters. :beer :joker :joker :joker
Tim Pittman
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Tim Pittman » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:36 am

Chuck,I sent you a pm on the other thread you have going.Most of the guys who commented had valid points.I can tell you this from learning it the hard way,a hunter with enough experience[bobcat knowledge]can catch cats with tree dogs,curs,airedales etc.etc..But your odds will improve emmensley if you go get yourself a tried and proven catdog to help get yopurself and your dogs educated.I'd also go as much as you could with the most knowledgeable Bobcat hunter you can find to take you along,watch all the little things he and the dogs do,where they look,what they do if a loose happens,there's alot to it.The cat itself is given way to much credit for being smart and all the comments on how fast they are.These cats won't outrun a good hound,on shear speed.They do it like you say by looses and such like.I see cat's quite a few times a year,and they're not streeaking all over the place like they're made out to be,they only do what they have to to stay a head,and as the pressure builds from a good dog they climb or die.If none of what I suggested is feasable,go to the snow,put your boots on and fall in behind them and help them through the looses,when the tree happens,if youi don't have a locator,start looking at the nearest draw or creek.If they end up in tall timber,sometimes it's tough with a seasoned pack.Good luck,and good hunting---Tim
Tim Pittman 541-912-6464
buzz
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby buzz » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:59 am

Well said Tim.
jones32
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby jones32 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:19 am

Yeah I think that was a pretty messed up statement foxcat! For one you don't anything about his dogs, what their breeding is or how many cats he has put them on,or what the conditions were like. What if he has only put them on a few cats so far, are you saying you've caught every cat you have put out on? I just think saying stuff like that to a 16 year old isn't very cool, I didn't see one thing that was positive or constructive with what you said.
kordog
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby kordog » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:38 am

i agree with tim get in there with your dogs and help them through a rough spot you will learn alot . then you need to figure out which dogs are adding to the race and which are detracting from it .if you have a dog that slick trees coon often then i would leave that one in the box as cats are harder to locate and this may be the dog stopping your race .find which dog is pulling the weight and let that one be your catdog after you get a kill then try two together . you could also try them individually . alot of times it takes the right combo of dogs together ,but they have to compliment each other .
curtj
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby curtj » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:51 am

As long as your dogs dont slick tree you'll catch cats. Some of them tree like coons. When it snows go find some cat tracks put there noses in the tracks and encourage them. Keep doing this until they start working the tracks. Once they get after a few, keep going back to where the cats were in the snow, and road them through these spots. One note, if there trashy at all hunt only the snow. If you dont you'll spend many long nights running trash, and youll do more harm than good. lastly if your succesfull dont harvest every one so you can run them again, and you'll have some seed for the next year. Good Luck P.S. every one of us were your age once and in the same position, just keep after it.
Curt
chucktaylor
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby chucktaylor » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:48 pm

Thanks guys. Ran a pair of bobs last night we spotted and put the dogs on but they lost em after a few hundred yards. caught a coon later. Does anyone no where i can find a good cat dog or pups out of good cat dogs that wont break my wallet?
doug
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby doug » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:39 am

chucktaylor
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby chucktaylor » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:16 am

doug
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby doug » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:32 am

Subscribe topic | Bookmark topic | Print view | E-mail friend Previous topic | Next topic
LarryBeggs
Post subject: 5 Month Old Bobcat Bred Walker FemalePosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:51 am

Silent Mouth

State: Oregon
I have a Walker female out of my Lucy dog and Kurt Prestons Bruno dog.I realy like her but I am trying to hunt three pups at once.Kurts Bruno dog is an excelent cat dog.My Lucy is a decent cat dog that has treed cat buy her self. Both dogs locate strike and tree good.They are half brother and sister.Bruno being out of Stretch and Sadie.Lucy being out of Stretch and Josie.She is good looking well built dog.I will post pictures of her and her mother when I get my son to help me.I havnt started turning her loose yet as I am short on tracking collars.She has been walked in to trees and likes the smell of a Bobcat.I want $250.00 cash firm.But would consider partial trade on 1 or 2 good working 219 tracking collars.My phone # is 541-258-5039. In the right hands this dog should make a cat dog.I would like to see here go to a serious bobcat hunter. Thanks Larry

jcathunter
Post subject: Re: 5 Month Old Bobcat Bred Walker FemalePosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:16 am

Silent Mouth

Hope this is alright: Dad (Bruno) is on the right. One heck of a dog by anyones standards.

Page 1 of 1
[ 2 posts ]
Nathanielk

Postby Nathanielk » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:38 am

Hey kid some real good comments to pick through in hear.... i'll share some advice I have been given that has helped me...assuming you are in snow right?

Make sure you have a bobcat track
Make sure you know your tracks, don't confuse with gray fox.
Dog should be fast, push a track quick....
I prefer bawl mouths for Bear because the race is longer, but for the small lung creatures like cat I prefer a dog that is quiet until he jumps it (just something to pay attention to)
Make sure you don't have a dog that is old, slow or jealous he/she may false tree just to beat the other dog.....sometimes it is ok to try one dog and see what happens.
My buddy is the expert, this is what he does....and does very well. He has an outstanding fast bawl mouth walker, and a quiet fast plott that won't make a sound until it jumps it or very hot.
Also listen for a locate bark.....differs from tree bark, and trailing bark

and remember "the only intelligent houndsman is the one that admits he hasn't figured it out yet"
foxcat
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby foxcat » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:36 pm

i said he will catch one here and there. if he wants to be strictly a cat hunter, my opinion is that he should get different dogs. he says there going out there, cold trailing for a little while, then treein. to me this sounds like they never had the cat jumped, and the first loose they make there grabbin a tree. in my opinion a good cat dog shouldnt bark on a cold trail, then grab a tree when it makes a loose.
DC DOGGIN
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby DC DOGGIN » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:43 pm

You need a good locator, cats are different then coon they CAN jump 6-8 feet or even higher up the tree as a coon climbs from the bottom of the tree. They may be smellin where the cat rubbed a tree and trying to tree there.
DRY CREEK KENNELS!!
BlazeNBrat
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby BlazeNBrat » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:57 pm

Some of you guys make a TON of sence, then theres the other comments. You can sure see who the cat hunters are here! Good read!

Another important thing to remember about bobcat hunting is the "human element" you gotta do your part to. Sure it still takes a darn good dog to catch them sneaky buggers BUT, if YOU can hunt them cats down into a smaller area to where you know where they are before you ever turn a dog out, you'll have greater success getting them jumped and caught. For instance, when you find a track, dont just throw down on it right away, instead keep cutting around and see if you can get him in some sort of a "box" where you know he's in. You might find that cat is know where near the place you where just about to put down on him, you can take miles off of a track some times, you might find him fresher on the "back side".... Make sence? I've seen guys take pretty dogs and catch bobcat with them because he knows how to hunt them, you dont always need them once in a life time super dogs that everybody wants to do it. Hunt what you got if it works, Have fun with it, hunt WITH your dogs and help them out when they need it. find them a cat to catch. Beau
coastrangecathunting
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby coastrangecathunting » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:29 pm

the kid said they are false treeing that to me says coon dog. foxcat is dead on the money on this one . u might catch a pop up but on a real cat race u r going to a false tree. i have ran dogs my whole life and going to a false tree is the biggest disapointment there is .someone suger coating it saying he is only 16 is bs ,tell it like you see it if you want to catch cats get cat dogs period. there are alot of people around that have cat dogs ,dewey walton,tim pittman, don petterson,ted wilson,jerry hatton,,don gilbert,tom barns,jc freeman,bruce ramburg,zip findricks,albert baldwin and alot more that i have missed on the west coast of oregon . all of these guys catch cats and have different styles of doing it. my advise to u would be go hunting with some well known cat hunters and see what you think. to me when u said black n tan i could have guessed what was coming next. get your self a dog bred for catching cats.

jc

Return to “Bobcat/Lynx Hunting”