Best of the Best Bear dogs 2012

Talk about Bear Hunting
brushcreek
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Best of the Best Bear dogs 2012

Postby brushcreek » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:23 am

I've gathered some input from a few hound hunters who are interested in a bear hunt. We will try to organize at least 1 in Idaho and possibly Utah. For now the Idaho hunt will take place in training units 32 and 22 and the date will be sometime in July. The hunt will be a 4 dog buddy hunt. 1 hunter will have to be over 20 years of age and the other must be under 20. There will be an entrance fee(still not decided upon). The hunt will be a pot hunt where the 1st thru 3rd place teams take home a percentage of the pot(that also needs to be decided upon). A digital camera will be required as well as a range finder. Sim cards will be provided and if someone needs help getting a camera or range finder arrangements can be made to provide such. The hunt will be two days and will start at one location and end at same. The hunters will be required to meet that night before the hunt begins and all admission will take place. And after the second day(full days of legal hunting hours) hunters will return to same location. Most likely Council. Hunts will be judged upon certain criteria that they must show on camera. This will include and could be altered but will be somewhat close to such.
1. Must show dogs at tree and get a close enough footage(within 50 yards of a clean kill shot). The range finder must be used to show this.
2. On a bay up (this is worth double a tree) you must get within 50 yards (and show a clean kill shot) and also show this with range finder.
3. Still not decided upon but most likely require both buddies at tree or bay up.
4. Only One vehicle per team.

So obviously the team with the most points will win. One point for tree and 2 for a bayup.

Any suggestions or changes ect., send me PM or just respond to post.

And a videos will be made and sent the first thru third place finishes.

This is a competition for the best of the best. IF it's not in you don't respond or save your posts for the laugh box. This is where the real hunters will shine and the excuses leave there marks just the same.
DC DOGGIN
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: Best of the Best Bear dogs 2012

Postby DC DOGGIN » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:09 am

This sounds good, once you get a couple down, come on down to CA and get one rollin i know several guys that would foam at the mouth for something like this. Have fun be safe and may the best team win lol. DC
DRY CREEK KENNELS!!
ferjr
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby ferjr » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:30 am

That sounds cool, keep us posted to when it is to take place. I will deffinitely go, I just have to find someone that is under 20 to go with me.
Lil Joes BigGame hounds
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Lil Joes BigGame hounds » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:35 pm

The under 20 rule is an excellent idea. I also like the 4 dog limit. Good luck!
Joe Troyer Socorro, N.M.
575-707-3727

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.

--H. G. Rickove
Sethchase
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Sethchase » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:35 pm

Sounds like fun. Im looking forward to hearing more about it!
Seth Chase 806-392-3984
Rigger
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Rigger » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:18 pm

So when is this going to take place in Utah?
Redwood Coonhounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 100000073410597

Postby Redwood Coonhounds » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:11 pm

I'm not sure why you'd be rewarding more points for dogs baying a bear, instead of treeing it. I know I don't go around hoping to catch a baying bear. I want it in a tree. There's a lot of bear people bay, that will climb a tree. So if they have better dogs they get less points? If you have 4 good beardogs, they'll put most bears in a tree.
Cassandra Davis
Redwood's Treeing Walker Coonhounds
& Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dogs
http://www.RedwoodCoonhounds.net/
https://www.facebook.com/RedwoodKennelsHounds
Catch
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Catch » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:31 pm

You aren't going to get to many bay up in the bear park. Another thing, why have a hunt in the easiest hunt in Idaho to prove "the best of the best"? Do a hunt around Lowman and see what you can catch.
Last edited by Catch on Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nolte
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Nolte » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:19 pm

zachvu
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby zachvu » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:41 pm

I like the idea of just setting it at getting a bear within 50 yards on a range finder and photos of it is one point. If it were a harvest hunt, that's what it would basically require to be able to take the bear correct? Of course there's going to be other circumstances, but a bear within 50 yards and a photo on a camera should usually be a pretty easy shot, and equal one point! JMO
"Copper has treed quarry"
Catch
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Catch » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:16 pm

The unit in Idaho that is proposed doesn't prove anything. You won't need a range finder and you will not need to turn dogs in to see if they can tree it. One dog can tree 99% of the bear. It is easy, and those that know the area will catch the bear. To prove who has what in 32 is basically a waste of time!
Redwood Coonhounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 100000073410597

Postby Redwood Coonhounds » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:36 pm

I say hold that contest opening weekend of California A zone. :wink:
Cassandra Davis
Redwood's Treeing Walker Coonhounds
& Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dogs
http://www.RedwoodCoonhounds.net/
https://www.facebook.com/RedwoodKennelsHounds
Lil Joes BigGame hounds
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Lil Joes BigGame hounds » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:51 pm

Well catch why don't you hold your own competition. You sure are quick to judge everyone else and you seem to have hunted every place a bear has ever walked. So why don't you be the judge also. :lol: Let em run there bear hunt and you go run your dogs.
Joe Troyer Socorro, N.M.
575-707-3727

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.

--H. G. Rickove
bency
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby bency » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:08 pm

Sounds like a challenge for the "FLACKO"!
brushcreek
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby brushcreek » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:49 am

So there's some competitors! I'm excited. Oh and by the way Catch If you aren't a competitor than save your comments for the laugh box. I would disagree with you Cassandra but sounds like I don't have dogs of your caliber. Maybe we can do something in California as well so I can see some real bear dogs. I hope this can take place in different states. I love to see new country. Sounds like some New Mexico boys are ready to compete. We'll diffenately try one down there. I know there some real good old boys and hounds in that country. I'd be glad to meet some of ya. This could be a lot of fun.

Return to “Bear Hunting”