whats your thoughts ?

Talk about Cougar Hunting with Dogs
rigit
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

whats your thoughts ?

Postby rigit » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:02 pm

people claim that there dog has been on 20 lion in a season and maybe it has however if it was turned out with 20 others at the same time how can you even know that dog is even doing anything but fallowing and treeing for a couple min because the other 20 are. in my opinion i think 20 lions in a season with 20 dogs is more like 5 lions, and 20 lions with only 1 or 2 other dogs is awesome i would much rather purchase a dog that has been on 15 lions with only a few others, than a dog that has been on 30 with 20 others and are these people claiming the same lion but jumped 5 times each a different tree? and or the chases and no tree or bay up? if that's the case hell i have a few dogs that have seen 150 lions in 2 seasons and i will sell them for 20,000 :beer each any buyers? :D guaranteed to open on a 1 min old lion track or half your money back :joker
dan kluthe
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Re: whats your thoughts ?

Postby dan kluthe » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:56 pm

Very good, Rigit. I'm going to take my two dogs out and see if they'll 'learn' lion, but Heck Fire, I might ought to be trying to deal on one of your "guaranteed" dogs!!!
poser
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby poser » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:57 am

Rigit, i hunt alot of dog myself and catch 20-30 lion a year. I'm sure some are the same lion....that is the opportunity that you have when your not killing everthing that climbs a tree.

I hunt alot of dogs for different reasons. The first being i have never made a dog from it setting on the chain. Second i dont want a dog just because it can catch a lion....you couldnt give me some of the dogs that i have hunted and they will dang sure catch their own. They are not catching ahead of 20 dogs on the ground though....there is a huge difference.

Its not about catching a lion, for me, its about a "type" of dog that i prefer. I want that dog to excel no matter how many dogs are on the ground. At the same time, they have to get it done at the end of the day. With garmin it is pretty easy to cut through the crap.

Same reason when someone is looking to buy a dog and they want to know if it will catch a lion on its own.....i would hope so but why not bring your best dogs and if it isnt beating them consistently they why buy the dog....?

Everyone likes something different, the trick is figuring out if the dog works for you and your program, no matter how much game they have been turned on or caught themselves.

Take care, jason
I'm thankful for being dumb and slow, then i don't have to over think this stuff.

Best of wishes....
Jason Sorensen (801) 633-4659
Trashy Mustang Hounds
houndnem
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby houndnem » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:31 pm

who the hell is running 20 dogs on a lion anyway??? that's some crazy shiz right there! I usually run 6 dogs max and when huntin dry ground 2 or 3 is too many Imo. I rotate who I turn out and try to actually get out of the truck and participate in the chase. I have got out ahead and watched to my surprise as 6-9 month old pups jumped ahead and lead the race all the way to the tree. if they are hunting as a pack playing leap frog then they are all helping catch 20 - 30 lions a year. I do know what your saying though I know people that don't go 20 times in a season that will tell you " that dogs caught 20 lions". just gotta separate the real from the b.s.
"Houndn'Ems Blueticks" if it smells like a cat, they'll catch it.

Return to “Lion Hunting”