Old dog

Discuss Health & Medical Issues
Oldmanindeepsnow
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Old dog

Postby Oldmanindeepsnow » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:12 pm

Have a 11 year old dog with hip problems is there any thing that will help He has a hard time moving I have retired him due to this problem What will help with the pain or is he better off put down
hunt14
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Old dog

Postby hunt14 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:25 pm

go get an anti-inflammatory and give him some with his food I did this with an old dog and he acted so much better in fact he started jumping in the truck again.
realdog
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby realdog » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:43 pm

i aint no vet but you could talk to yours about this what i am going to tell you. i have gave some of my old dogs a shot called legend it is for horses with these problems also i give them a shot called adequian that might not be spelled right however it is for the same problem by giving these two injections to some of my old lion dogs with the same problems as your dog it has allowed me to be able to hunt them for a couple more years instead of them being to stove up and having to retire them. these 2 shots are for lubricating there joints and helping with arthiritis I hope this helps . I hate when my dogs get old and stove up i wish you could flip a switch and they would be young again except keeping all there experience. man wouldnt that be great.LOL.
a_olly
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Hunt primarily in the Southeast.

Postby a_olly » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:05 pm

There a several things that you can do.
1)Antiinflammatories:
Rimadyl, Deramaxx, Zubrin, Aspirin(I hate aspirin) etc. All these usually come from a vet. They do have there own side effects such as liver enzyme increase, stomach upset and blood thinning.
2)Joint supplemements:
Adequan, Glucosamine/Chondroitin and Fish Oils
These are all joint lubricants like someone said before. They are pretty safe andno need for a vet prescription.

All in all, it;s best to keep your dog active because otherwise he gets stiff. No saying he should keep hunting cause you know him better than me but a good long hike or swimming will keep him feeling good. Believe it or not a good massage helps his hips and knees out too! LOL Send me a pic of that so I can get a good laugh!!! :lol:
Good luck,
Doc Neal
Jordan Run Walkers
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Jordan Run Walkers » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:27 am

Had an old bear dog that could hardly get on the truck and most of the time had to be lifted. She would rig for about an hour and would have to lay down. Gave her Glucosamine/Chondroitin and man it made a huge differance.
MKT
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby MKT » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:42 pm

All above posts are right on here is a few things that we do to help our old timers...
1. Science Diet J\d food (it is the most reaserched dog food around, our 11 year old Plott is still going because of it, worth looking into).. it is $$$$$$$ but it works and a joint supplement.
2. Never used the injectable Adequan (they make for dogs as well as horses) YET but would. We give Rimadyl as needed before and after hunting. In studies 1 in 1000 dogs have troubles with rimadyl and related drugs...
3. Keep weight down and swim the dogs alot to keep them in shape, weather permiting, we live in Wyoming. This takes the stress off of the joints!! Plus it is a great way to get pups used to the water. :lol:

Return to “Health & Medical Issues”