Which Antenna

This is an area for Helping with Garmin Questions, Any posted References or posted Advertisements for selling Products will be removed. This is not a Place to Post your items for Sale, or Ask where to buy products.
Melanie Hampton
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Which Antenna

Postby Melanie Hampton » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:10 pm

I'm looking to buy an antenna for my Garmin 220 but not sure which one to get.

I have a rooftop, but have a couple places that I will be walk hunting so I need something else.. I just have the stock antenna that came with the Garmin..

I don't know if I should go with the Factory 320 Extended Range antenna, the 14 inch Flexible Antenna, the Long Range Antenna or the Folding Antenna...

Any suggestions? Anyone compared them?
Melanie Hampton
Home of OutWest Hounds

You've only got 3 choices in life
give in, give up, or give it all you got.

http://www.outwesthounds.com
David_Heimann
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Re: Which Antenna

Postby David_Heimann » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:31 pm

Last edited by David_Heimann on Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Houndhead
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Houndhead » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:26 pm

Buddyw
Site Admin
Site Admin
Facebook ID: 100000011567041

Postby Buddyw » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:45 pm

I wouldn't mess with the Folding antenna unless you want a Folding antenna.. My least favorite antenna but there are some folks that love them.

The Long Range antenna will work about the same as your magnet one but they break very easily so expect to break it and then you can get a heavier duty Replacement with a spring for it but it seams to get about 90% of the factory Long range antenna.

Between the 14 flexible, and the extended range antenna, and the Long range rubber duck antenna, I think the rubber duck and the 320 Extended range works a little better then the 14 inch, but not much.. So it's almost a coin flip and your preference will dictate more what you like I used to use the long range rubber duckies, but now I've been using the one that came on my 320 and I've been happy.

I personally don't use the hand held anymore after breaking 3-4 of them but I like to have one safely behind the back seat in case of an emergency.. I haven't needed it yet, I get good results with the magnet mount and then I just hike in and can pick up good we the Extended range antenna.

Hope this helps some.. I've been thinking about trying to setup a comparison page on the site since it's getting confusing with all the different options.

buddy
Steve White
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Steve White » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:59 am

I do pretty much concur with Buddy. Except that I prefer my duck over the 320 antenna. Tossed the 320 antenna out the window into the woods. But that's just me. Some folks get better range with a coat hanger.

90% of the time here in perfect land I use the duck. After that the PBLRA portable long range antenna is at hand. I'm a gentle soul so have not broke one yet. But i have a daughter and partners that do regularly. Cable has broke the wire a few times as well. I now tape a pen or pencil to the coax where it comes out the antenna. Looks a bit rough but works.
Steve White
White's Woods & Waters
http://www.whiteswoodsandwaters.com
steve@whiteswoodsandwaters.com
715-892-0032
Houndhead
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Houndhead » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:37 pm

Big Horn Posse
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 100000145082247

Postby Big Horn Posse » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:44 am

DON'T get the handheld! I had a friend put a PVC pipe to cover the antenna part when it was down and well I let a friend use it and well when he had the antenna out looking for dogs and broke the tip off. That same night I had it in my truck extended and I snapped more of it off. It still works, but I am going to get one of the flexible ones. The handheld was a waste of 65 dollars in my opinion cause you have to treat it with kid gloves and seriously which one of us are that gentle lol Even leaving it behind the seat is dangerous. I have snapped a few fishing poles that way lol
I like my men like I like my mountains...... Rugged, challenging, and WILD!!!

Big Horn Posse Big Game Hounds
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Horn ... e=bookmark

mondomuttruner
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby mondomuttruner » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:19 am

Posse, now I know why you don't have a man in your life....breaking too many poles!!

opps, thought this was the coffee shop:)
Big Horn Posse
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 100000145082247

Postby Big Horn Posse » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:14 am

lmao yep, those cheap ones are no good. Have yet to find a double tough good one, but when I do I will take good care of it. lol
I like my men like I like my mountains...... Rugged, challenging, and WILD!!!

Big Horn Posse Big Game Hounds
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Horn ... e=bookmark

Melanie Hampton
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Melanie Hampton » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:24 am

Thanks all.. I think I'll be ordering the rubber duck antenna pretty soon..

I had the hand held one but slammed it in the door and broke it first time out :mrgreen: Thought about ordering a replacement, but noticed yesterday the pup pulled it out and ate the coax.. So I think I'll just stay away from that one...

For you that haven't tried it.. I do love the rooftop.. 95% of situations thats is all I need..
Melanie Hampton
Home of OutWest Hounds

You've only got 3 choices in life
give in, give up, or give it all you got.

http://www.outwesthounds.com
David_Heimann
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby David_Heimann » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:19 pm

Last edited by David_Heimann on Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
glk7243

Postby glk7243 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:44 pm

Like everyone else I broke the LR handheld just carrying it in my pack. So, I bought the replacement part with the flexible antenna from Buddy. It broke the first time I used it. My friend has an antenna that his son gave him supposedly from a handheld ham radio. It is about the length of the rubber duck but you can see it has a coil loaded base. It gets as much range as the LR handheld. I can not find it any where on the net.
Steve White
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Steve White » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:58 am

I do get a kick out of all the broke antenna's :lol: I normally hunt at least 150 days a year. But, have yet to break an antenna, or astro. My partners and daughter have though. I stock replacements, and even charge my partners full price when they break one. Figure if it hurts their wallets it will make them learn to be more careful. Yes, even my daughter pays! TOUGH LOVE!

I do not sell the mag mount antenna, nor will I suggest to anyone to buy one. They have been the cause of a lot of units burning up due to higher powered radios. Most of the time operator error. Because for some reason folks feel it is a good idea to put 2 antennas next to each other, and there will not be a problem.

Yes, the long rubber duck antennas get more range than the stock short ones. But NO, they do not get the range of the PBLRA(portable long range antenna) They are longer so a larger line of sight distance. Even if at the same hieght of the ducks. They have a larger surface area to collect the signal.

You want the best range. Put an 8' whip on your truck. Diamond makes a good one. But that is really not practical for hunting purposes. Then you also end up mounting in a different spot. Reducing the height of it and range.

There are many options out there. Still land based communications, and there are limitations. Although some folks will tell you they get the best range from a coat hanger!
Steve White
White's Woods & Waters
715-892-0032
Houndhead
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Houndhead » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:21 pm

Steve White
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Steve White » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:30 am

4.1 miles with the pblra, and my record is just over 6. But that does not matter. I know folks that have gotten 12 miles with just the short rubber ducky. If you were to climb a fire tower, or get in a plane would get a lot further. Folks in the mountain areas get longer ranges on a regular basis. Those in flat lands get shorter on average. it's all about line of sight and getting on a high spot will make a huge difference just like anything else. Might be why we put our TV antennas on the roof.

Regardless for the most part does not matter what I say. Somebody will always say a coat hanger is better.
Steve White
White's Woods & Waters
715-892-0032

Return to “Garmin Astro Help Topics”