Should I be worried?

Discuss Health & Medical Issues
live_two_hunt

Should I be worried?

Postby live_two_hunt » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:15 pm

I have a 1 1/2 yr old redbone... about 5 times over the last 3 weeks, he has started to cough/gag (almost like he is getting ready to vomit) and then when I let him out he eats as much grass AS FAST AS HE CAN for about 30 min, and then he's fine.... I know dogs eating grass is nothing new, but I have never known a dog to eat grass with such intensity! I can't even pull him off it!

I guess I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about what might be causing the cough/gagging that is leading to the excessive grass eating? And if there is any reason to be concerned?
Big Al
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Re: Should I be worried?

Postby Big Al » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:09 pm

The only time that I have heard of dogs eating grass like that is if they have an upset stomache. With that combined with the coughing that you explained it may be something serious. If your luck is anything like mine I would definatly have him checked by a vet.
Spokerider
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Spokerider » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:53 am

Well........how do you know that the gag / cough are even related to eating grass? You really have not given enough history on the dogs health, activities, general apperance, living condition decsription, etc, etc. It's like saying "my truck won't run right". Not enough info.

Perhpas he is gagging / coughing because he is pulling so hard on a leash? Is the collar too tight? You mentioned something about pulling him off.

Gags and coughs can be symptoms of so many causes, some serious, and others of no consequence. You're trying to figure out which. So, the vaccines up to date? Has he been wormed? Is he otherwise well, behaving normally, with no outward signs of illness or concerns? Have you looked in his mouth? What did you notice? Does he have a good appetite? Normal looking stools? The possibility of him having conjestive heart failure at 18 months is rare, but possible. Does he have good / normal conditioning and endurance? Is it a chronic cough? Occasional? Dry? Productive? Drool? At night? Upon rising from laying? Following exercise?

Other possibilities......
Bronchitis
Allergens
Foreign body in lung or stuck in throat...food, grass seeds, bone, etc.
Communicable illness like kennel cough,
Tumor in lung, trachea, larynx
Collapsing trachea

Of course, you can always go to your vet for a checkup / chest xray.
B/T
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby B/T » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:04 pm

I have a dog that eats grass like a cow, no cough though, the snow is just starting to melt here and he is allready chewing on it. In the spring to fall when we are in the yard he pretty much eats it steady.
live_two_hunt

Postby live_two_hunt » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:26 am

Ya, I was trying to save myself the embarrassment of going into all the details.... lol

Well, due to our current living situation and my soft hearted wife, he is living in the house with us and my wife's choc. lab. He has never eaten grass before, other than a couple of pieces here and there when he has an upset stomach or whatever, typical of any dog.... Anyways, a few weeks ago he started that coughing/gagging thing and ran over to the door. When I let him out, he hit the grass and started eating it as fast as he can. After about 15 min. of him eating grass this way, I tried to grab him by the collar and lead him back into the house, but he acted as if i wasn't there, planted his feet and continued eating away... He continued to eat like that for another 15 min or so, and then was fine.

The ONLY times that he eats grass like this is immediately after that coughing/gagging fit, and has happened probably 6 times in the last three weeks. The cough is dry. No drool, or anything of that sort. Hasn't happened at night yet, only during the day and completely random. Can't make any connections like the cough follows exercise, or waking up or anything... Every time he has been in the house, late morning to early evening, just hanging out and then it suddenly starts. He doesn't have any kind of consistent cough or anything like that, just those 6 times over the past few weeks, and every time is followed by the excessive grass eating for roughly 30 min.

Aside from what I described, he seems perfectly healthy. Fecal matter looks like it should, haven't seen any worms in it. Has a great coat on him, nice sleek and shiny. Mentally the same as always, and hasn't been unusually lethargic. He gets roaded about every other day, 5 miles at 12-15 mph, and hasn't slowed down at all. Still has his normal appetite as well.

He is up to date on all his shots. However, I believe the last time he was wormed was about a year ago. So that might be the issue....
wiwalkerman
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby wiwalkerman » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:22 pm

does he throw up the grass after eating it? I have never heard of a dog eating grass and keeping it down. they usually eat it as an antacid. i would think if he had worms that bad that u would see some in his stool. never had tape worms so i don't know if they would show in the stool but i think the dog would have a hard time keeping wait on him.
B/T
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby B/T » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:16 pm

nightrider
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby nightrider » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:12 am

Most of my pack and my partners pack eat it like cattle, you can even see it in their stool,they seem to go after the young tender stuff. Always figured it had something in it that their body craved.Don't seem to hurt them. Hell if they eat enough it saves on the food bill. About like you dump them out at a nice clear creek to water and they run around to find a mud hole and drink it :lol: .............. Sam
Spokerider
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Spokerider » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:14 pm

Badlandcat
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Badlandcat » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:30 pm