13%

Total votes: 48
Calkins
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Best Dog Food

Postby Calkins » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:02 pm

I'm sure this topic has been beat to death a million times but I haven't discussed it since Pro Plan was new, tons of recalls, and more people (that I know) started using Black gold. Consider this question as if money was no object and what you would buy then, but then comment with what you feed and why. Thanks. I apologize if I left out your brand.
coastrangecathunting
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Best Dog Food

Postby coastrangecathunting » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:30 pm

I have used blackgold for 3 years now and I have bought my last bag of it . The price is just to much now. Im going to try ol roy for the next 3 month and see if i notice a difference.

jc
Calkins
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Calkins » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:42 pm

What version of Black Gold? I know they're all pretty expensive.
coastrangecathunting
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby coastrangecathunting » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:13 am

the black bag. i like the feed but its just got out of hand.

jc
twist
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby twist » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:51 am

Diamond high performance 30$ for 50 lb bag and goes twice as far as old roy. No comparison just the facts jc you will be disapointed in ol roy ts really went down hill in last few years. Andy
The home of TOPPER AGAIN bred biggame hounds.
NYCOYOTEHOUNDS
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby NYCOYOTEHOUNDS » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:01 am

My female coyote hound would not put on weight. Even though she is ran 4-5 times a week, she was still drawn down too much. Started feeding Southern States a month ago and noticed a HUGE differance.
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:02 am

MTbluetick
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby MTbluetick » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:37 am

I feed diamond high energy. two to three cups a day, and all my dogs are looking great
kordog
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby kordog » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:08 am

jc ol roy keeps them alive and fed that is about all. the price of feed is getting ridiculous unless you own one dog to feed the good stuff to i hear ya. olroy isnt the answer though if you want performance .if you can get bacon grease from a restaurant to add a little extra to their food everyday it works well with the olroy red bag. the hi protein bag of olroy should be called colon blow for dogs cause thats all it has ever done to many dogs ive owned. the red bag makes them a little loose at times. i have never tried it ,but what about buying a bag of good and mixing it to 1or two bags of cheaper food it may help with the food bill and still provide enough performance. a houndsman has to do what he can to keep them fed and not break the bank.
twist
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby twist » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:16 am

Al, 3 cups a day and they do very well even under hunting, conditions. Andy
The home of TOPPER AGAIN bred biggame hounds.
Big Horn Posse
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 100000145082247

Postby Big Horn Posse » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:03 am

Red Flannel Prime. 50# $33
I like my men like I like my mountains...... Rugged, challenging, and WILD!!!

Big Horn Posse Big Game Hounds
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Horn ... e=bookmark

Tim Pittman
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Tim Pittman » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:01 am

You guys must get Diamond from a different source than I do,I fed hi energy for 7 years [I quit 4-5 years ago,tried it every year since]and mine and several others local dogs fall apart onit feeding 5-6 cups aday.Fed ol roy for awhile before that[hi pro]tried it last year--junk.sports mix no good,purina descent,hi standard-good[26/18],black gold [26/18-good 24/20 good]diamond naturals dogs fall apart within 10 days from the time I start feeding it,loose energy etc.[takes this long to start really noticing].Nutrena Loyal 26/18 good,31/20 excellent.
But I get the best results from Atta Boy and Black Gold mixed 50/50 or Atta Boy and Hi standard mixed 50/50 while hunting hard 5-6 days a week.All these feeds have had all the meat they catch[cooked in crock pot with corn oil or beef fat added]or elk/deer trimming during pursuit season.I pour the broth on the feed in the evenings and mix in,and feed the chunks of meat in morning before hunting.The atta boy is 19.95 for 50# the hi standard $27 for 50# the gold $31 for 50#.Any of these fed straight do not get the same results as mixed.I fed the feeds at the top of the post straight,and mixed with the atta boy and the results were not as good as the last I mentioned,except for the 2 nutrena Loyal feeds[but both of these are pricey].The amount of feed depends on the dog 4-5 1/2 cups.I try to keep cover[muscle/fat]on their top line and no more than a rib showing,not always succesful but that's what I shoot for,either way they end up looking like body builders.
Tim Pittman 541-912-6464
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:37 am

I feed attaboy and black gold the same as Tim when hunting hard and back off to 2 parts attaboy 1 part black gold when not hunting hard. Also went to insulated houses with doors and that seemed to make a big difference this winter.
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:39 pm

Thanks Andy. For what it/s worth I had tried different brands, last years settled on purina dog chow & adding missing link plus each day to the feed. My dogs looked good and performed as well as my hunting partners ( energy wise). He was feeding a high protene & fat feed from fred meyers & purchased ribs that he cooked for his dogs a couple times a week. I fed about 4 cups in the summer & sometimes twice in the winter. Over time I did come to the conculsion feed manufactures produced a good food, then after building a good customer base, cut back on the quality of thier ingredients to make a better profit. Al
Last edited by al baldwin on Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warner5
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Warner5 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:51 pm

Thanks for the info Tim. Been trying different things. Attaboy and high standard. I'll try next.

Who carries the high standard? Thanks again. John. 541-290-6131
Rowland-Walkers

Return to “General Forum”