what did my pup do exacaly?

Forum Rules and Policies
bluetick900
Facebook ID: 0

what did my pup do exacaly?

Postby bluetick900 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:44 pm

ok so i got a 10 month old bluetick she is smart and is deffinatley on her way her first hunt was with experienced dogs and has been on 3 hunts so far i put her in the woods atleast 1 or twice a week so i took her out to a 200 acre fenced in peice with a feild in the middle of it with 4 oaks in it she got on a good track and ran off i saw she was about 100 yards in front of me sniffen up and cheken out a tree i walked over she looked up an sniffed up it 3 times and juss would leave it ( mind you she has not bayed or opened up on one by herself yet and im waten till she does ) but i looked up the tree with the flashlight and bam! there was a huge coon! i was surprised it was only her 4th hunt 3rd hunt byherself so i shot coon out she bawed at it about 3 or 4 times then i took back to the truck and we hunted for about 2 or 3 more hours she went off and hunted by her self about 3 times each about 20 mins then we left i was wonderen if i could get some opinons on this and if i did the right thing? and what else i should try and why she didnt bay at it at all or should i juss keep paitence and keep hunten her any help would be fantastic im just now starten out coon hunten any help would be nice:)
cobalt
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: what did my pup do exacaly?

Postby cobalt » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:03 am

Keep hunting her. Encourage her by praising her when she is doing good. When she is at the bottom of a tree that a coon is in, get her to tree (bark) for awhile before you shoot it. She has a long way to go and it doesn't sound like she has a lot of early, natural ability (to tree), but with time and putting her on good game, she might click. Hunt her alone until she does it on her own.
bluetick900
Facebook ID: 0

Re: what did my pup do exacaly?

Postby bluetick900 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:50 am

ok sounds good ive done somewith her every day since she was a pup and trained her and i think she is progressing but eventually she will get there i think i hunt her atleast once or twice a week and thank you very much for answering my post!

Return to “Forum Code of Conduct and Policies”