Kemp dogs?

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
buzz
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Kemp dogs?

Postby buzz » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:12 am

Looking for info on Mike Kemps hounds. How do they do on bobcats. How many have you hunted with, how do they handle,open or silent on track, locating abilities, track style, rigging, treeing, what Sire and Dam were they out of ?
Not looking for a pissing match just info on running them on cats!
Thanks in advance. :)
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Kemp dogs?

Postby mark » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:36 am

541-979-3734
Marshall
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Marshall » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:05 pm

I've been around a few here recently and I have been very impressed. They tree harder then I thought they would and flat move a track. I have very limited experience with them but I'm sure this mark feller can give you some good insight :wink: . For what it's worth I would spend the money especially now that he's selling pups. Take care

Marshall
buzz
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby buzz » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:22 pm

Mark cannot be the only one that owns a Kemp dog! Lets hear some more details guys!
coastrangecathunting
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby coastrangecathunting » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:11 pm

don't get one . lol. just kiddin. they also have a lot better nose than I thought they were supposed to have . I think mike is improving his line of dogs all the time. that is the hardest thing to do in the hound world if u ask me. jmo.

jc
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:42 pm

Buzz, if you text me your fone number i could send you some pictures and video if you want.
Dirty Jim
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Dirty Jim » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:06 pm

2,000 for a puppies just seems ridiculous. Are they garunteed or money back?
Bones2
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Bones2 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:15 pm

I've hunted around several most are not what I'd call natural tree dogs, they do run a track good but can drift too far on a ducking and dodging bobcat track in thick brush and keep up making bad loses. If your paying over 350 a pup your buying hype and allot of hope not ability
Dads dogboy
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Dads dogboy » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:34 pm

Folks,

I literally do not have a "Dog in this Hunt"; However I have had occasion to see Hounds who came directly from Mike Kemp perform more than adequately on Bobcat. I have good friends who say that individuals from this Line are NICE Bear Hounds, and several others who are happy with the way a Kemp Hound can run a Fox.

Being short on Tree is not what I have seen in the Bobcat Kemp Hounds that I have personally seen in the woods. Nor did I see an excessive amount of over running the Track on the Game that I witnessed "Real" Kemp Hounds pursuing (by real I mean Hounds who came directly from Mike).

As to why his prices are the way they are....well when you have worked for as long as he has to develop some "Genetic Predictability" in his Hounds, so that a far greater percentage of Pups make useable Hounds, well to me that makes the investment in one of his Pups a much surer thing than a Pup from a Hodge Podge mating of two Good Hounds. Also Supply and Demand still dictate Pricing in a Free Market Economy!

Now will all of his Pups make "Usable" Hounds.....Hell No! Is this always because the Pups were destined to be NO Good....absolutely not. The variables which the Person buying a Pup or Young Hound have to deal with which define this statement are, the Skill and Experience at training a Pup, the Time to do this, the Money to buy the fuel to get to the woods regularly, and plenty of Game to run, are all factors that effect how a Pup from Mike's or any other Sound Breeding program will turn out.

Just my Opinion from what I have Seen!
C. John Clay
diamondctv@aol.com
870-223-2063
mike martell
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mike martell » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:13 pm

I think paying a high price for a puppy in one thing....Mike Kemp sells these at about 8-9 months and they are heavily schooled and handle well. The hard part is behind at this stage of the game and Mike has seen the excellence in what he is shipping. How much does it cost to raise a three hundred dollar pup to 8 months and end up culling it further down the line?...Remember shipping is around four hundred dollars unless you buy one close by....I don't own one and never have...I will in the future by simply seeing and hunting with them on bobcats with my own eyes...I don't keep any dog that doesn't catch a bobcat alone in my kennels and those Kemp dogs get it done, for this reason, you don't see dozens of dogs in my kennel...Nose is not a problem, track style is not a problem and treeing is not a problem nor is locating in the big timber out west...Just some random thoughts!

Good Luck!

Mike
CRA
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby CRA » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:36 pm

I have bought a pup directly from Mike. It turned out to be a very nice dog in all aspects. Mike is a very serious hunter and extremely serious about his breeding program. I have hunted with other dogs that came from Mike and they were classy hounds that catch game. People that whence at the price it takes to get one from Mike need to remember quality only hurts once!
buzz
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby buzz » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:34 am

Mark, My cell is 509-637-5955
brian j cerelli
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby brian j cerelli » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:51 pm

they are 6 months old and 2200 for the "pick of the litter"...
LACOON69
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby LACOON69 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:14 am

Well first off let me say Thanks to John C Clay (Dads dogboy) and Mike Martell for saying what I have always said all along (WELL SAID GUYS). Now being one of my hunting buddies good luck buzz with your new Kemp dog it should and most likely will be a good one. As for myself this is one of the best line of dogs I have hunted and plan to keep hunting for years to come. As for cats don't know much on how they do but buzz you have seen them with your own eyes on bear and I would have to say they are just as good. Why do I say this well to many guys are hunting this line for cats these days. So as for this topic goes I lost my very first kemp dog (Gamble) which opened my eyes to this line of dogs. I have never gone back to any other breeder a second time till this line came along and now I own 10 kemp dogs and don't plan on switching anytime soon. Tony Locken II
brian j cerelli
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby brian j cerelli » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:07 pm

has any one with kemp dogs crossed them up with other lines or breeds and had good results?

Return to “Bobcat/Lynx Hunting”