Utah bear hunting

Talk about Bear Hunting
Coloradobawl
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 100000776214302

Utah bear hunting

Postby Coloradobawl » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:10 am

So I live in grand junction co and am interested in trying my hand at bear hunting so I took some time off work and headed to Utah. I first started outside of vernal on red cloud loop road. Actually started a bear around noon and he ended up taking the dogs in a nasty canyon that we had to go get them from. That was the only fresh track we seen up there, couldn't get another one located so we went home. Not being one to quit we gave the dogs a day rest and headed to the fishlake national forest above LOA. Spent the day there in some of the most beautiful country driving road after road but found only one 2 day old track. That night we drove to uintah national forest around strawberry reservoir area. Ran those roads all day put 112 miles on covering as much country as I could and found 3 tracks none of which were runnable. I put 1050 miles on my truck in 4 days and my question is what am I doing wrong? I see all you guys from Utah posting pic after pic of bears. I only have a general pursuit permit, next year I now know to put in for the restricted permit so I can hunt the book cliffs, but what in your guys opinion is the problem. I located water, and food. I checked around where sheep were being ran and nothing. Any pointers would be appreciated, thanks.
oswald
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: Utah bear hunting

Postby oswald » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:52 pm

Dont feel too bad. Utah is tough to hunt in many places, especially if u dont live there and know exactly where u r going. u need a good rig dog for sure if u dont know exactly where/what they r feeding on. i could have treed 3+ bears a day where i lived in colorado just by riding around and spotting them. I like u traveled to utah to hunt legally in the pursuit and i got skunked more often than i treed bear.
Brindle
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Brindle » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:32 pm

The problem is there no bears in utah. Yep no bears. Y'all better just stay home.
if it aint plott its all for not
oswald
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby oswald » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:32 pm

believe me brindle, i will be staying home. i dont have to spend my money in utah, just to run bears anymore, cause i moved to idaho where i get all the bear tags i want every year.

oh by the way, i posted a couple of videos of my plotts treeing bears yesterday. how about putting up some of yours, as i like to see other folks good brindle dogs catching bears.
Coloradobawl
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 100000776214302

Postby Coloradobawl » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:18 am

Yea a good rig dog would be nice, I know where there's a ton of bears but it's n a restricted unit that I have to draw the pursuit permit for. Colorado is phenomenal for bears to bad we can't run dogs on them. My Utah quest isn't over I know there's bears there, just gotta find em.
UNFORGIVEN
Facebook ID: 0

Postby UNFORGIVEN » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:45 pm

Its harder to spot tracks this time of year. Most runs we get are from a strike. I would guess you are passing up a lot of runable bears. Good luck
tman308
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby tman308 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:26 am

Today's hot spot is tomorrow's skunk spot. they are moving a bunch this time of year.
Tman308

Hunt Hard, Hunt Smart, Have Fun, and take your kids with you!

Return to “Bear Hunting”