Snowmobile Question

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
Jeff Eberle
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Snowmobile Question

Postby Jeff Eberle » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:27 pm

I don't know anything about them. But thinking I'll need one this winter. What works for hunting Long track , short track. What is a good used dependable sled ? And anything else you think I'll need to know about them .
Get JESUS In Your Life & Your Dog's In The Wood's

CLAVEY RIVER CUR'S
Unreal_tk
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Snowmobile Question

Postby Unreal_tk » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:55 pm

There are a lot of styles and models out there. Any will work just depends how you like to ride. Deep powder you'll want a mountain sled. RMK, Summit, M7s, etc. In little to no powder you'll want a utility style sled. Skandic, Tundra, bearcat, phazers, etc. The main difference between these is the cooling system. The mountain sleds are water cooled and require snow or ice to hit heat exchangers in the tunnel to cool the motor while the others are fan cooled that just requires good air movement. The weight and track of a sled change as the style of sled changes. Your mountain sleds will have deep lugs, longer tracks and weigh more. Your fan cooled will be lighter, smaller tracks, small lugs if any. I personally use a mountain sled. I figure I can always use ice scratchers to cool my sled off if I'm hunting in no fresh snow conditions.
Unreal_tk
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Unreal_tk » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:59 pm

I would recommend the Polaris RMK 700. Usually reasonable price used, parts are fair, and I know a few that have been put to the test and no problems really. Do not buy 800s or 900s in the RMK model, motors tend to blow up. Skidoo Summits in 2007 had a recall on motors. Stay away from any hopped up sleds as well.
silentnight
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby silentnight » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:51 am

I run early 90's indy 500's one liquid and one air cooled. I put a little longer and more aggressive track on them and work very well, always start and enough power to pull me and a few dogs in tow.. The rmk 700 is hard to beat though, I'm just cheap got both of mine for $500 bucks running.
Jeff Eberle
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Jeff Eberle » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:28 am

CLAVEY RIVER CUR'S
Unreal_tk
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Unreal_tk » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:47 am

Check the skis good. Under the ski is a wear strip called a carbide, make sure they are decent. On the track check the plastic wear strips called hyfaxes on the bottom of the track frame just above the track, on your motor check the mounts, bulkhead, and exhaust to the motor. Check the thumb and hand warmers.... Those are key for sled hunting. I strongly suggest a cold start(surprise them) most guys will go tinker and pre start it to make it easier to start to show it off. Check for leaks on the oiler system. Anything from 98 I think to 03 or 04. Depends on your local pricing. Here a crap sled is 2,000.... You shop around on Craig list on big cities that are a ways from mountains... You can find better deals. Kelly blue book can help, I would say 2000 should get you one that's decent shape. Motors might need rebuilt at 3500 miles or more... Depending on usage.
Unreal_tk
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Unreal_tk » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:00 am

This sled, I bought for 2100. The guy in the spring wanted 3200. I kept his # waited til about this time last year. Called him up and got to haggling. 2005 skidoo 800 Summit 2000 miles, good shape other than the hand warmers didn't work.... Which I still need to fix.

Beardawgs
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Beardawgs » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:04 am

I'm not much of a winter cat hunter but I ride mountain sleds from time to time. I highly suggest getting one that has the electronic reverse. I believe Ski-doo came out with it first in the late 90's, then Polaris in 2002 and Arctic Cat in 2009. It gives you reverse without the weight of a gearbox.
Wide Open!

North Idaho Big Game Hounds
dhostetler
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby dhostetler » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:17 am

I would get nothing smaller than a 600 if you are going to pull a dog sled. Reverse is not a must but is a major back saver as where I hunt I have to turn around on narrow roads a lot and it is 3 to 4 times faster to turn around with reverse. I would also strongly suggest fan cooled. A lot of late season hunting is on crusty snow and have to cross over bare sections will cause your sled to get hot then you waste time packing snow around the motor to try to get it cooled down so you can keep hunting.
blohmeier

Postby blohmeier » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:11 am

I have a polaris 800 rmk, 700 rmk, and a polaris 550 fan cooled with a 136" track. I always choose the 550 when towing a sled, it's a 2001 and has been bulletproof so far. It does good on the warmer days and still has plenty of power to tow and I have never had a overheating issue just putting around the woods like I have with the bigger sleds. Another good choice would be a 600 trail Rmk with a 136" track. You can find nice ones in the $2000 price range. Unreal_tk gave good advice on things to look for when checking the sleds out.
Unreal_tk
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Unreal_tk » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:19 pm

Oh and I recommend checking the chain case... If its got a lot of shavings... It could be getting ready to break. Chain cases get neglect.
Coloradobawl
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 100000776214302

Postby Coloradobawl » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:48 pm

Any reason people dont just use their 4wheelers with atv tracks on em? Ive had some nice sleds over the years and all have left me stranded at some point, my grizzly however has never after 8 years of use and abuse.
dhostetler
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby dhostetler » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:34 am

Colorado,
A friend of mine used to have a setup like that and said it would throw a lot of snow. When I use my ATV in the fall deer and elk hunting and it is below 20 it is extremely cold. Snowmobiles are made to keep you warm while ATVs are not.

What happens when you bury it can you get unstuck as easy as a sled? I also had concerns about going through nasty terrain such over logs and side hills. Yes I agree ATVs are much more dependable than sleds regarding breaking down.
Unreal_tk
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Unreal_tk » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:41 am

I think trax machines have there place. Late season conditions, also you can set them up like a truck basically as well. The down sides are speed and gas milage.
Jeff Eberle
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Jeff Eberle » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:47 am

How often do sleds break down if maintained well ? What is the biggest problems ?

CLAVEY RIVER CUR'S

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”