Breeders??????

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Breeders??????

Postby mark » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:42 pm

They're gunna call bullshit on you Buzz! There is no way anyone can work that much. Lol
buzz
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby buzz » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:46 pm

Summer is even worse!
buzz
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby buzz » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:06 pm

I know there are alot of great houndsmen in the northwest breeding some fine hounds for themselves and friends but I hunt alone or with my kids and kinda keep to myself so I guess I am out of the loop. I have had hounds for nearly 25 years and have yet to see a near perfect cat dog but I will keep looking for it. I think a guy is foolish if he thinks he has the best because there is always better out there somewhere and that is why I am always looking for the next best thing! If anyone knows of a great line they want to share info on I am all ears. If you are as slow as me on a computer and just want to call you can reach me (Matt) at 509 395 2919 Thanks in advance!
coastrangecathunting
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby coastrangecathunting » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:03 am

buzz, what style of dog are u looking for? Do u like a trail type dog ? a dog that is quiet until jumped? Are u in it for the sound of the race or do u just want results? describe what a perfect cat dog should sound like when trailing jumping and treeing a cat and maybe someone on here will contact u with that type of bloodline.

jc
buzz
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby buzz » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:52 am

My ideal cat hound would be a 45-50lb female walker running dog cross that would mind like a cow dog, have nice tight tuff feet, a bit leggy, ride the box like it is sunny and 70 even when it is freezing out, strike a very cold track off the box, be very aggressive on finding the track, open as soon as she smells the track, grind on a cold track until it is jumped only opening when she has a clean track and not just because the others are opening, not just straddling the track moving the track with her head up as much as she can, on the jump end I want to hear a good race and her to throw her head back and haul ass trying to flat catch that cat or put it in a tree, if she catches it I want her to be very gritty and if it goes up I want her to be very accurate on locating, and be a sit down steady chop mouth tree dog until I get there! I want something that has a ton of heart and just an all around tuff little dog that is a pleasure to hunt!
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:14 am

Varminator
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Varminator » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:35 am

Al, were you hunting 250-300 days a year ? It's my opinion that, if that's true you must have been hunting mostly on weekends, because I've hunted with some of the dogs you trained and they caught cats!!
As you know I sold all my Dogs, when Bear season was banned. I got Kelly and started hunting cats(we have discussed her Bloodlines) . She was two and a deer burner, not to mention scream and cry for no reason at all, for some reason ( the previous owner maybe trying to break her)? Plus she wouldn't tree!!!
But she could run a cat like she was glued to it and always let out a locate bark!
I didn't work for a year when I got her! I hunted almost every day without any kind of tracking system except a bell (she pulled off 1 and lost her collar 1 time using it) which I would pray to hear the ring because she was semi-silent.
She made a cat catching machine and I started building a pack. JC's Cindy dog was a sister as you know and came on quick, didn't take long and he started building a pack.
Old Dog, Skip! came and hunted with me thru cat season when Kelly was 5 1/2 yrs old.
We hunted hard and caught many cats, I know it was 30+ before we lost one and we caught several more before losing another!!! We (JC and I) expected to catch it and was shocked if they didn't!
So there you go!!!!
If your coming, come on!!! "A Thousand mile journey, Starts with a single step".
Varminator
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Varminator » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:15 am

Al, Talk to George Horner Sr., that same year He caught (if I remember right) 26 out of 29!

I should say that JC runs Fox now more than Cats, and I'm with him!! He buys the feed and I love a good Fox race more than the average cat race by far!!! JMO on that! :D
If your coming, come on!!! "A Thousand mile journey, Starts with a single step".
twist
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby twist » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:37 am

It takes a high population of cats to put up big numbers one has to remember! Andy
The home of TOPPER AGAIN bred biggame hounds.
davidg1!
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby davidg1! » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:36 am

In the state I hunt we don't have that many cats but as of late I have been hunting dog bred with trigg or some running walker in them. They will show you cats big and small. The pure cat hunters have been breeding dogs will open your eyes if you look!
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:06 pm

Brad I was working part time ( using vacation & etc for the good hunting days. That time frame was from about November to early spring. I never took complete time off for hunting, now wish I had. Brad Kelly was a real good one, George Jr. referred to her as the 15 minute cat hound. Also, understand she was quite until she jumped, that is a real asset for catching cats fast. I always had some open trailers in the pack, letting the critter know they were coming.Just something I enjoyed even if it made catching more challenging at times. Everyone hunt what you enjoy. Al
Varminator
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Varminator » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:27 pm

Al, Yes she was silent till she jumped, then squeal and squall and tree most before 15min. She had some hard ones but not many. She started treeing when she figured out I would be there, and would tree for as long as it took me to get to her or call her off If I wanted her. Loyd Basey said, if she smells a cat it's not safe any where ?
Now about the others that hunt cats. Most of the Top cat hunters may take someone hunting, to see how They and their dogs hunt. But if so, most won't let you take a dog. One of the main reasons is their dogs work as a team and fly to the one or more that have the track. They don't want any distraction like a dog barking out of place, a false tree, a bad track or anything that may cause a lost cat or doesn't help his dogs!!!!
I would bet that many have had or has a "Kelly" type dog in one way or another and are trying to breed more. TMO!!!
southern fox
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 100005518713786

Postby southern fox » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:52 pm

there must be one heck of a cat population out there ! if a man caught that many here he would wipe the population out in 2 counties , I have never seen anyone here use tree hounds on them , and with what I read on here im kinda glad I would be quitting soon if they started .
boonedog.houndhunter

Postby boonedog.houndhunter » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:51 am

Got a litter coming up. if your looking. i have bein breeding bobcat dogs consistently with high percentage
twist
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby twist » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:43 am

Boonedog, what breed of hound you running tell us alittle about them thanks. Andy
The home of TOPPER AGAIN bred biggame hounds.

Return to “Bobcat/Lynx Hunting”