Trapping on Public Land

A Place to discuss Trapping
BAR BAR 2
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Trapping on Public Land

Postby BAR BAR 2 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:49 pm

As houndsmen, what are your opinions of trapping on public lands? I ask this question, because this organization, http://wyominguntrapped.org/, is making their presence known in this state. This past winter there were three St. Bernards killed by snares on Casper Mountain. There is also a large contingent of this groups membership who live over around the Jackson area who are complaining about traps and harvesting furbearers on public land.

I have heard secondhand that these people are only going after trapping on public lands, such as BLM, Forest Service, state school sections and so on. Looking at their site though, it doesn't take a biblical prophet to see that they don't intend to stop at simply getting trapping banned on public lands. They even acknowledge the fact that they will have to develop some way to generate revenue for the Wyoming Game & Fish in order to gain some credibility and standing.

I brought this up, because it has been mentioned that "Public Land" is not very "Public" if there are traps and/or snares set. With the potential harm to dogs that traps or snares can pose, I know quite a few houndsmen who are leary of running their dogs on lands where trapping activity is taking place. We have all heard the horror stories and some of us may have had a dog hurt because of a trap, or maybe even lost one to a snare.

At this time, trappers in this state are not required to post a notice of trapping in a given area. Rather than going for the obvious and least restrictive measure of requiring trappers to post signs, this group is going for broke and trying to get trapping activity removed from all public lands in Wyoming. As a houndsman who has lost a hound to a snare, I can't claim to be a fan of trapping, but I do respect the rights of others to pursue their chosen sports and I admire the skills of a good trapper.

What I hate most of all though, are groups such as, Wyoming Untrapped, who try to find a chink in the armor and exploit a small weakness in hopes of gaining a toehold. Groups like this, are the same type as those who have wrecked and ruined houund hunting in alot of states. They will start out by going after small groups like the trappers and they will post pictures in hopes of shocking people into opening their checkbooks. Once they get groups like the trappers picked off, they will then go after the next low hanging fruit and that is usually the houndsmen. Don't believe me? Look at the West Coast.

I am very conflicted on this particular issue. Everyone should have the opportunity to enjoy and use our public lands, but because of the activities and practices employed by trappers, it may not always be wise to do so. On the other hand, I don't want to see any group of sportsmen being faced with a fight against a group like, Wyoming Untrapped. Just this week, it was said to me to let the trappers fight their own fight, especially when the end result is something alot of houndsmen want anyway. It is my opinion though, that now is when we need to be trying to work together to find solutions.Regardless of whichever side a person comes from on this issue, we had better be coming together, or groups like this will pick us off one by one.

The Wyoming Game & Fish Commission is meeting next week in Casper and they will be discussing rules and regulations surrounding Furbearers. Rumor has it that this group WILL be there in force and they will be trying to push their agenda.

I posted this in the Trapping section, but this is a Hound board and I am very curious as to the opinions of others. Surely there is a common sense solution that doesn't sacrifice the trappers and leave them hanging.

What do you guys think?

Tex
=2
driftwood blue
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Trapping on Public Land

Postby driftwood blue » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:45 pm

I think you are right-- the sorry do gooders will surely go after the houndsmen and women next.. history proves that..

I have had hounds caught in snares.. fortunately I was walking behind the hounds in both cases and my handy pliers solved the problem. what mostly gets a hound in a snare is time.. and you usually have time to get one out if you are not sitting on your duff a few miles away watching on a screen.. a good pair of side cutters work better--- there is a fence about 2 miles from where I live that gets lined with snares without the land owners permission----so I make it a practice to carry them.

we as sportsmen cannot continue to fight among ourselves.
CRA
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby CRA » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:35 pm

Trappers and Hunters have been allies forever and the majority of hunters are trappers as well. I sure hope they don't use a few incidents to cause division between trappers and hunters. Don't ever fall for these anti groups that they only have one group in their sights. They focus on one group at a time until they conquer their adversary. Divide and Conquer is their tactic. They run the same playbook on every fight. I absolutely oppose anyone losing their rights to be in the woods.
bigskybowhunter
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby bigskybowhunter » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:28 am

Being a trapper in years past and now trying to run some hounds I see both sides of the table here. I still enjoy trapping and don't intend to quit as long as I am allowed to. But I try to pay attention while I am running my dogs in areas where traps could be. I wouldn't have a problem posting a sign, as you stated, on public lands that say "traps present" or something of that nature on the lands I trap that are public. You will also be opening your self up to more theft with the sign but I guess to me one lost critter or trap set would out weigh the total loss of trapping. Sad to see what I consider to be one of the last best states left in the USA being turned by the anti's. The problem is if they win once they will never stop until we are all sitting at home with no hunting trapping or fishing to enjoy. I do most of my trapping on private lands but I hate to see any loss of rights! It may also swing the predator population up in areas with large amounts of public lands which can hurt deer and elk populations as well so if your in to hunting big game as well there is some more food for thought. Just my opinion though!
twilli
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby twilli » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:36 am

Trapping on public land is one of the only places I can trap. Most of the big ranches out here already have someone trapping on them and the owners will only allow one trapper. You have to be somewhat smart when you are trapping and set off the trail if you know there will be dogs around. I personally won't trap in an area with high pet traffic. Snares have the plus that you don't use bait or scent but put in a run or trail to catch the critter. The public needs to be educated on snares and how to remove them or traps if there dog gets caught. Also most of these do gooders have not contributed to the land they are using and forget most of it was purchased with sportsmans dollars. Pet owners need to also take some responsibility and have there pets on leashes or not use the woods when trapping season is going on. I also find it hard to believe that people are catching St, Bernards. Most coyote and fox snares have different height levels to set the snare as well as snare opening so somebody may be doing this stuff on purpose to make a bad name for trappers. There is plenty of room for everyone. Take a look at the trapping regulations for trapping on State lands in MT. Cumbersome and prohibitive at best.
Cal Taylor

Postby Cal Taylor » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:05 pm

As close as I can tell, the Wyoming Houndsmen Association is as much of an anti trapping organization as Wyoming Untrapped. Every issue you have brought forth is to limit trapping or enforce new rules for your benefit only. Any dog owner can easily train dogs to avoid snares and traps or at least to be calmly restrained by a snare until you release them. I take my cur dogs with me daily on the trapline and have no issues with a bit of training. The dogs in Casper that were snared were running at large and obviously had never been tied up or leash broke. The dogs were illegal, not the snares. Issues such as those you have brought forth will and already are dividing the houndsmen and trappers in the state and I can see more conflict on the horizon.
Twopipe
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Twopipe » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:49 pm

I agree with Cal Taylor. Dog owners need to teach dogs to stay away from traps. I have had dogs caught in traps, both foothold and conibears and they are no worse for the wear. In the conibear situations I was right there and knew what to do. Now I teach them to not mess with traps same as any trash. We need to take some responsibility and not blame it all on trappers. Have you tried working with trappers associations to get them to educate the trapping community on how to set traps so they will be less likely to catch a hound? Public lands do not belong to any user group and we need to remember that. Any time you turn a hound loose it might be the last time you see it. I have lost more dogs to cars and wolves than traps. The animal rights people just love it when one sportsmen's group does their job for them. United we stand, divided we fall.
A good dog hunts wherever he's set down.
Idaho Bison
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Idaho Bison » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:01 am

I trap and run hounds. A sign in this country would just make it easier for thieves and antis to find traps and mess with them.
Kenneth Streeter
Idaho Bison Co.
208-816-4245
www.idahobison.com
Budd Denny
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Budd Denny » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:40 am

........Budd Denny..........
FullCryHounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby FullCryHounds » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:49 am

The best thing any state can do is to get a constitutional amendment passed to protect our hunting and fishing rights. Without it, it is just a matter of time.
Here in CO., there is a group threatening our lion hunting and wanting to introduce wolves. we've lost our bear hunting with hounds and trapping on public lands. We don't have a constitutional amendment protecting our rights.
Dean Hendrickson
Pine, CO.
Rocky Mountain Wildlife Studios
rmwildlifestudios.com
Idaho Bison
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Idaho Bison » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:41 am

Kenneth Streeter

Idaho Bison Co.

208-816-4245

www.idahobison.com
ltedwards

Postby ltedwards » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:24 pm

Trapping in my neck of the woods is crucial to keep the coyote numbers as long as possible to keep livestock depredations to a minimum. Dogs can be taught to avoid or not panic when caught . Both parties can co-exist and need to so as to keep the antis at bay jmo
Coy Dawg

Postby Coy Dawg » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:09 am

Bigsky1
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Bigsky1 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:07 pm

I think dog walkers need to do so in non hunting seasons on public lands.
Decoy Dog

Postby Decoy Dog » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:06 pm

Return to “Trapping”