Closed mouthed Plott hound pups??

Talk about Hog hunting
Goose
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Closed mouthed Plott hound pups??

Postby Goose » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:36 pm

I wouldn't base my theory that silent mouth dogs don't have the bottom as do open dogs because I have owned one or two and seen quite a few more cur dogs that when they got on a hog you better pack a lunch because your going be there until you catch them off or catch the hog or they've ran themselves down to the point they just can't go anymore .
Cajun
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Cajun » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:54 pm

This is Gumbo. Registered Plott. One of two that I have had in over 30 years that was silent. The only time you heard him was when he was bayed. As for bottom, like Goose said, you better pack your lunch. We have had all day races with him on occasion proving that hogs will run, even with a silent dog behind them. One other thing, this dog was exceptionally fast. That being said, he was a hog baying machine.

MIKE CAULEY
BAYOU CAJUN KENNELS

Happiness is a empty dogbox &
RELENTLESS PURSUIT
Goose
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Goose » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:38 pm

Mr. Mike one of the better dogs I've ever hunted with came from some of that stuff Lonnie Morse and Bruce Perrilloux have bred up, up until he was about 4 he was open on track and after then he was dead silent but my goodness at the bottom that dog had, only buckskin plott I've ever seen. On more than one occasion I've seen that dog turned loose at daylight on a good track and you would be daylight the following day catching that sucker off, just had zero quit in him.
HOGMAN
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby HOGMAN » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:37 pm

[quote="Cajun"]This is Gumbo. Registered Plott. One of two that I have had in over 30 years that was silent. The only time you heard him was when he was bayed. As for bottom, like Goose said, you better pack your lunch. We have had all day races with him on occasion proving that hogs will run, even with a silent dog behind them. One other thing, this dog was exceptionally fast. That being said, he was a hog baying machine.

Like I said were talking about dogs.. All are different.. I guarantee you that my silent plot will run hard in summer time.. But he doesn't have as much bottom and nose.. he has something some hounds don't though. Its STOPPING the hog.. He wants to catch quicker instead of running the same hog all weekend- nothing wrong with that though... I use him to catch hogs that run harder... after the other hounds been running a few hours put a fresh set of legs in there... I was just statin my strain tends to not have as much bottom. But more stopping power... this one just doesn't have the same hunt as some I have seen. He is not a lap dog though.. He is unpredictable he might hunt a few hundred yards or he might go a 150. Just depends you know.. You put him in hogs and hell stop some.
Samuel Boutwell
601-757-1122
"There's two types of hounds, one follow hog's, one catches them"!
Run to Catch Hounds- Brookhaven, MS
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:09 am

Well as I said I didn't want to offend anyone. And in some areas there are easy treeing bears. I might very well have ran into defective pigs. I haven't hunted them in your state . but have in a few different areas.
The fact remains that no matter if you compare the average hog to average bear. Or the most aggressive or athletic of each species bears are more difficult on dogs.
So to clarify.. If a houndsmen is finding his dogs lacking in any aspect of hog hunting. It would be a good idea to get out and see what other houndsmen have and consider whether it might help you. I understand some hogs can run. But if they out run a dog something's going on. Again its a good idea for all of us to hunt as many different areas and game as we can. It can make hunting at home go smoother.
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:32 am

Sorry missed your question. I have hog hunted several areas in Texas from the Palo dura canyon east. I have hunted along the Oklahoma Kansas line area. And caught a hog in Arkansas but wouldn't call it a hog hunting trip. Mostly visiting a good friend and treeing coons. For us desert dwellers its always a eye opener how much game is packed into some of those areas. It did make me wonder about the concept of a dog going deep. I'm sure what images pop up in my head are incorrect for most areas. But I thought well if each time you turn a dog loose around here it gets out over a mile before getting treed it must just run til it trips over a coon. Now I know that's not right but we had dogs treeing all over the place a few times.
HOGMAN
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby HOGMAN » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:58 am

The hogs down this way your dog has to go a long way on some days in order to get struck and find meat..Then some days you could go catch just as many with chihuahas. Just depends on place your hunting, and hogs your hunting.. Mine run like no tomorrow. Threfore i have 5-6 hounds that will run till cant walk.... Sometimes i bring 2 packs of dogs if i have no idea how spread out hogs are.. Closer pack and long ranged
Samuel Boutwell
601-757-1122
Cajun
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Cajun » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:11 pm

Pegleg, I agree with you on there are some easy bears that tree, also some tough ones too. lol I have hunted Canada, Wisc., Mi., fla. Ga. Va. & on average I would say it is easier to tree bear then catch some of these running hogs. I will say tho that some of those 80-90 lb. bears will sure make you put in a long day if you don't get outrun. In our deep south, we have places where the hogs are easy & we got places where they are tough. If they stay in the thick, a dog just cannot open up & run & that hog can stay ahead of dogs all day & if you get where they are hunted hard, they are going to run. I know there are exceptions to everything & in fact we were hunting in Arizona & got outrun by one of those little cinnamon bears about 80 lbs. He just ran the pads off the dogs & we finally got them picked up that evening. I will say this, if I knew where to get faster dogs, I would sure do it.
MIKE CAULEY
BAYOU CAJUN KENNELS

RELENTLESS PURSUIT
Goose
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Goose » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:22 am

Peg leg no offense taking here man, I completely agree, I enjoy traveling and hunting with others to see how my dogs stack up and where they're lacking, like Cajun said if a hog stays in the thick all day about your best bet is going to be a dog with bottom, there isnt a hog Hunter in my parts that doesn't get outran, I also agree with you about chasing different game as well, that's the very reason I enjoy this site and a few others and I read as many books as I can. Cajun for the reasons you stated above is the very reason I just bred a gyp to one of Harold Parkers cat hounds.
HOGMAN
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby HOGMAN » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:10 pm

Cajun hunts both, if im not mistaken regularly.. With hounds im guessing he would probably know. Is Harold parkers dogs tend to be faster?
Samuel Boutwell
601-757-1122
Goose
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Goose » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:58 pm

Couldn't give an honest answer because I've never hunted with them, Mr. Harold is a friend of mine and a very knowledgeable dog man, I've seen his cow dogs work and can only imagine what his cat hounds will do, we've had cat hunts lined out a time or two but something's always fell through on one end or the other, with all that rambling said i didn't make this cross for speed, I'm looking to add line control and the ability to pick up a loss quicker.
Cajun
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Cajun » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:55 pm

I've only hunted with Harold's dogs twice, but have been very impressed with his dogs & the handle that Harold has on them. The very first hunt we went behind my house & he dumped 1/2 dozen running walkers out. I was having nightmares thinking we would be chasing these dogs all over the country.lol The dogs all went to the front of the truck & we roaded them. By the time we went 1/2 a mile I knew they were straight because if they wanted to run a deer or coyote they would already have done it. We went about 3 miles & a couple of his dogs start getting busy in the road. They trailed off the road & jumped the cat in 20 minutes. Ran him another hour & they caught it on the ground. We went in & Harold told the dogs to heel & we got to the truck & they loaded up. Pretty impressive.
He came over the following year same scenario. Roaded the dogs for a while & they trailed the cat off the road & got it jumped. Ran this cat for 4 hours & he headed out. We got around to a main highway & we could hear them coming. Harold starts blowing his horn & calls off about 10 running walkers off a hot cat race. Every dog came to him & loaded up. I can't say how fast they are because we just hunted Harolds dogs, but they are fast enough to catch a cat.
MIKE CAULEY
BAYOU CAJUN KENNELS

RELENTLESS PURSUIT
Goose
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Goose » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:03 am

Mr. Mike that's one of the reasons I'm making this experimental cross, I've talked to more than one person I consider a true dog man and all had dogs for different game that have hunted with harold and his dogs, everyone of them has said the same thing as you just did...You should see the kelpies he's got work a set of 4-500 yearlings all at the commands of his voice and the honk of his truck.
HOGMAN
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby HOGMAN » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:41 am

Where is Harold Parker from? and he runs walkers? Or plotts? I am confused
Samuel Boutwell
601-757-1122
ironman
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby ironman » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:34 pm

I had an open mouth Black and Tan with white chest old line walker that would bay and never pull a single piece of hair, fast as lightning, take any track bayed many a hog by himself and never got cut, so much for gritty silent theory lol

Return to “Hog Hunting”