Tracks,ranger

Talk about Cougar Hunting with Dogs
Grizzhound12
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Tracks,ranger

Postby Grizzhound12 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:54 am

Has anyone put tracks on a 96 ranger 500. Was wondering if it had enough power. Just got one and thought putting tracks on it would make a great lion rig.
(Work sucks lets go hunting)
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Tracks,ranger

Postby mark » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:14 am

My 800 barely has enough power in a lot of situations with a box load of dogs. I would be very skeptical of a 500 with tracks.
rockytrails
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby rockytrails » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:26 am

Camoplast tracks are geared for the machine. Then you get the clutches setup for whatever elevation you hunt and usually setup for taller tires. This saves on belts. My son has a 570 RZR setup and is amazing. A friend has a 450 Grizzly that works good. Ranger would require Utv tracks. When hou upgrade your machine they can change the sprocket and mounting kit. That way you don't have to start over completely.
FullCryHounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby FullCryHounds » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:35 pm

This year we have been using an 800 Ranger on tracks, an 800 Ranger on wheels, 2 Yamaha Grizzlies on wheels and a John Deere 4 place on tracks for lion hunting. Both Rangers have had numerous breakdowns including several bent steering arms on the Ranger with tracks, broken A Arms, and engine issues. The 2 Grizzlies and the John Deere on tracks have been flawless. Only issue with the 4 place John Deere is that we have to haul a 5 gal. gas can along as it has too small of a tank, about 6 gal. But it is a heavy duty work horse.
I've never been a fan of Polaris. I don't think they are built for serious off roading. And after this year and all the problems we've had with them, dragging them off the mountain time after time, I'll never own one. As far as running tracks on anything smaller then an 800 is just asking for even more problems. Tracks weigh a ton an turning them uses a ton of horse power. Then add altitude that takes away another 20% of HP and it's just not a viable option. As I mentioned earlier, the Polaris A arms and steering arms are not beefy enough for the tracks, they keep bending and breaking going over the slightest rock or bump.

Dean Hendrickson
Pine, CO.
Rocky Mountain Wildlife Studios
rmwildlifestudios.com
rockytrails
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby rockytrails » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:29 pm

Agree, gas has to be packed on any tracked vehicle. I run a Grizzly 700 with tracks. I love it. The 570 RZR is 5hp less than the 800. I have the canvas doors, plastic windshields and plastic roof on it. Lighter. Pretty amazing rig there, fits the bill perfectly for the kid. That JD looks good.

Return to “Lion Hunting”