uncatchable fox??

A place to Talk about Fox Hunting and Running Dogs.
scrubrunner
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: uncatchable fox??

Postby scrubrunner » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:01 pm

Duhhh! Mike, I should have figured that out without being told, but catch here means caught on the ground.
Dan, I don't think it will tree easier after the first time, the fox in my old spot would run from 6 to 10 hours and were run 2 or 3 times a week.
Brandon, if the fox is not treeing or holing, how is the race ending?
BrandonCombe
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby BrandonCombe » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:45 pm

Yes scrubrunner "catching" him would be a bad ending to a great race. I'd hate to see him go. Sure would like to see him in the tree though. To answere your question on "how does the race end" it ends in a lose or a mess the dogs can't sort out. This fox when they get to driving him hard he will hit a paved road that runs through the area he likes to hang out and will run down the pavement some time a 1/4 mile or better and then run up the cut bank that's averages 15 20 feet rock face that the dogs have a hard time getting up if he doesn't gain ground there he wil head up the hill about 50 75 yards and come back down hit the pavement and run it back the opposite way he just came and none of that is me guessing we have watched him do it several times we have been parked on the pavement in a spot he's known to run across and seen him come off the bank hit the road turn and go right back up the way he came witch screwed the dogs up for a minute. He is definetly dog wise and knows where and how to lose a dog or atleast mine anyway haha
scrubrunner
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby scrubrunner » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:33 am

Know all about those paved road runners, that's what ended hunting at the place I mentioned before. They came in and paved roads all thru the woods years befor building houses, twist, turns, cultisacs, not a square block in the whole place, a regular dam maze. I'd get lost and take a hour to get out, in woods I'd been in since befor I could walk.
Is there thick brush or such where he can keep the pressure off for a while befor he starts pulling those stunt and how long does he run befor doing it?
Wish I had a nemesis to chase, sometimes frustrating but alway interesting and fun to plot against.
undertheradar
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby undertheradar » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:47 pm

Brandon how many dogs are you hunting?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Varminator
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Varminator » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:29 pm

What we have found is, they run longer at night. And if your dogs are in shape, they'll will still catch em. Also dogs get better and better on the road runners. We very seldom hunt and run em in the Daylight because the dogs catch most on the ground. Also don't run em when they are pregnant or with young pups. But I must admit, I know a couple you don't catch everytime!!! I just wish the squeaker clubs would slow down on them. They can sure wipe em out of an area quickly ! JMO
If your coming, come on!!! "A Thousand mile journey, Starts with a single step".
BrandonCombe
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby BrandonCombe » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:51 pm

Undertheradar I've ran him with as few as 2 dogs to as many as 7. Scrubrunner this fox usually heads for the area he loses dog as soon as he is jumped. There's alot of rock in the area he runs it's a rough spot and if a guy could prevent the fox from hitting that area i believe it would be a diffrent story but he knows how to lose a dog in that spot and gets there in a hurry.
scrubrunner
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby scrubrunner » Tue May 10, 2016 12:32 am

For some reason I thought this fox was giving you some sport for several hours before he started his cowardly deeds! I don't think I would feel too bad if they did catch that one on the ground.
I'd probably just go somewhere else and find a fox that would run and come back and mess with that one just every now and then. Maybe with a buddy and 15 hounds.
Cattree9751

Postby Cattree9751 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:35 pm

Mid day caught them 3 pm don't run near as far

Return to “Fox Hunting”